Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 PM
milligan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Slaw,great build!! from now on when I think of RCU,this thread will be stuck in my mind.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Richie-EB4

Awesome thread Roger.........its taken me 3days to read it.

Im just getting back into RC's after a 4year break......used to race in 1/8th buggies and have a fully loaded Savage.
I would like a 1/5th scale but im on the lookout for a second hand one and build/mod it over time.

I must thank everyone for this very helpfull thread and hope to be able to start one of my own soon.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the few first posts in this thread Roger,funny to see how it has evolved since thenSo how is it going?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 PM
slawhammer

Lars: Well my friend ..yes my project transformed to some thing wonderful......My project is and had been on hold for some time
now...Not sure if I can get back to it...Due too Health reasons and no place to live....The Old slaw is slowly slipping away.....
I try to keep my sprits high....for my self...The hobby will alwys be there.....I just hoping I can finish it out.....
Thanks for asking my friend..Been to long...away from the forum.......Slaw
Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Lars from Norway

It hurts to hear this Roger!I hope things will work out so you can continue the hobby.And most important;your health and life!As you say,keep your spirits high
Old 03-12-2010, 12:06 AM
goneracing_83

Hello all!!! I HAVE TO SAY....... THIS IS A LONG FOURM!!!!!!!!!!!! i have been reading this forum all afternoon and still not done, and got to say there is some helpful info here. Well i better say first off im goin to be gettin my FIRST 1/5 scale truck with in the next week or so(a used FM MT) i have a hold on it til i have the rest of the funds. would of had the money this week but wife just had to go freakin shopping AGAIN!!!! lol oh well im gettin what i been wanting for some time now. I am gettin a used FH MT and was wondering what to look for when i get it, like weak points. i know that i will be going completely thru it. check bearings and all the bolts and what not. it already has the steel pinion and splur gear and a Nutech oil filled diff. Now the guy bought and installed the Alloy Large Motor Mount from Powerslideracing.com but once he did the stock rear bulkhead brace did not fit at all. When it was placed in its correct position the layshaft and diff gear were not touching at all. what would cause that? Could it be that the large engine mount the wrong one? do FG large engine mounts work? ( that is if it would be a FG one) not really sure what it could be bc i dont have the tuck(yet) but can complain for 380 bucks and the only thing it needs is a radio system (goin to put a 2.4ghz 3ch sysem in it anyway). and to get the gearing to line up correctly. I couldnt pass it up. wife was upset but she will get over it LOL but im gettin back into the RC hobby after a couple yrs of getting out of it. I did run nitros and always wanted a BIG truck to run around and chase the stray cats away with LOL!!!!

Any info would be great!!!!

Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 PM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: goneracing_83

Hello all!!! I HAVE TO SAY....... THIS IS A LONG FOURM!!!!!!!!!!!! i have been reading this forum all afternoon and still not done, and got to say there is some helpful info here. Well i better say first off im goin to be gettin my FIRST 1/5 scale truck with in the next week or so(a used FM MT) i have a hold on it til i have the rest of the funds. would of had the money this week but wife just had to go freakin shopping AGAIN!!!! lol oh well im gettin what i been wanting for some time now. I am gettin a used FH MT and was wondering what to look for when i get it, like weak points. i know that i will be going completely thru it. check bearings and all the bolts and what not. it already has the steel pinion and splur gear and a Nutech oil filled diff. Now the guy bought and installed the Alloy Large Motor Mount from Powerslideracing.com but once he did the stock rear bulkhead brace did not fit at all. When it was placed in its correct position the layshaft and diff gear were not touching at all. what would cause that? Could it be that the large engine mount the wrong one? do FG large engine mounts work? ( that is if it would be a FG one) not really sure what it could be bc i dont have the tuck(yet) but can complain for 380 bucks and the only thing it needs is a radio system (goin to put a 2.4ghz 3ch sysem in it anyway). and to get the gearing to line up correctly. I couldnt pass it up. wife was upset but she will get over it LOL but im gettin back into the RC hobby after a couple yrs of getting out of it. I did run nitros and always wanted a BIG truck to run around and chase the stray cats away with LOL!!!!

Any info would be great!!!!

Thanks again!

Welcome!

The FG large motor mounts won't work.

Are you talking about this triangular brace/piece?

Snap a pic if you can. Something sounds off.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Lars from Norway

would of had the money this week but wife just had to go freakin shopping AGAIN!!!!
Just wondering, is your name Al Bundy? LOL Yeah, this thread is thee Firehammer-bible, great thread.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:52 PM
goneracing_83

Ok well it looks like he has already did some mods to that bracket so i will ethier have to make a new one OR buy one. either way i will need a diff one. im guessing that is what happens when you use a FG engine mount?
thanks for the info and the willingness to help out a newbie to the large scale RC world

Thanks again

TJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16698.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1396671  
Old 03-12-2010, 08:50 PM
csp1971

I don't think he used an FG mount. Are the gears meshing?

I had to drill the hole out on my brace for the alloy mount to work, and it was specific to the Firehammer.

If the FG mount was used, you would have more problems than just the brace.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:05 AM
goneracing_83

from what he told me when he put the alloy big engine mount in and once he did the stock rear bulkhead brace did not fit at all. When it was placed in its correct position the layshaft and diff gear were not touching at all. is that what your talkin about? to drill out a new hole on the blue brace to make the layshaft and the diff gear to mesh? if so that will be a really ez fix (so i think like i said dont have the truck YET)once i get the truck and a new bulkhead brace since he chopped that one up. the only other thing i will need is a 2.4 ghz 3 ch radio and i will be good to go. now i also read on a diff fourm (duruatrax firehammer...ya its spelled wrong on the forum title) that you would want to use a high end 2 cycle oil? is that really necessary? they where saying to use like belray, yamalube, or mobile 1 two cycle oil. i was thinking about getting stihl 2 cycle oil since i konw where i can buy it in bulk cheaper then buying them one or two at a time. now i have read some more of this thread today and found out that a pipe will make a HUGE diff in power and accel. now wondering would this pipe fit the firehammer at all........ http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1760/.f i have been seeing alot of these on ebay and goin for about 80 to 100 bucks shipped. i know its for a MCD but the engine in the MCD and the FH is a CY right? if so then it should fit the engine but not sure if it will miss the rollcage. please keep in mind im buying a MT not the buggy. not sure if there is a diff or not between the two. so thought to ask the guys that know a lil .... ok alot more then me about it [sm=wink_smile.gif] before i spend the money and it dont work.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:26 AM
csp1971

from what he told me when he put the alloy big engine mount in and once he did the stock rear bulkhead brace did not fit at all. When it was placed in its correct position the layshaft and diff gear were not touching at all. is that what your talkin about? to drill out a new hole on the blue brace to make the layshaft and the diff gear to mesh? if so that will be a really ez fix (so i think like i said dont have the truck YET)once i get the truck and a new bulkhead brace since he chopped that one up. the only other thing i will need is a 2.4 ghz 3 ch radio and i will be good to go. now i also read on a diff fourm (duruatrax firehammer...ya its spelled wrong on the forum title) that you would want to use a high end 2 cycle oil? is that really necessary? they where saying to use like belray, yamalube, or mobile 1 two cycle oil. i was thinking about getting stihl 2 cycle oil since i konw where i can buy it in bulk cheaper then buying them one or two at a time. now i have read some more of this thread today and found out that a pipe will make a HUGE diff in power and accel. now wondering would this pipe fit the firehammer at all........ http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1760/.f i have been seeing alot of these on ebay and goin for about 80 to 100 bucks shipped. i know its for a MCD but the engine in the MCD and the FH is a CY right? if so then it should fit the engine but not sure if it will miss the rollcage. please keep in mind im buying a MT not the buggy. not sure if there is a diff or not between the two. so thought to ask the guys that know a lil .... ok alot more then me about it [sm=wink_smile.gif] before i spend the money and it dont work.

I guess I just don't see why the diff gear and the layshaft gear don't touch, regardless of the brace. The brace should just help prevent flex and not be the sole piece that keeps the two gears together. There has to be something more than just that. Does he have the mounts slid back far enough (check bottom of chassis). Are the alloy engine mounts blue by any chance? Once you get the truck, you'll get a better idea of what's going on.

Get yourself a Futaba if you can (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXRL8&P=0) for a radio. Three channel and you'll also want a killswitch: http://www.killerrc.com/products/pro...killswitch.php

2 cycle oil: Some people use the Stihl. I use Silkolene and also Klotz (also available at davesmotors). These are usually available from your local atv/motorcycle stores. I would go with a higher end 2 cycle oil.

An updated pipe will make a huge difference, type in Firehammer pipe at davesmotors. I have two Dominator pipes for mine (torque and top-end). If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Torque pipe.

Your firehammer will either have an actual CY or a clone engine. My FHMT had a clone engine that was a 3 bolt. But the pipes will fit up to them. An MCD pipe isn't going to work for the Firehammer MT/FH.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:26 AM
goneracing_83

ya I agree there. i was hope'n to be able to konw what i needed and or what to do to make it ready to go right a way.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:12 PM
goneracing_83

is there anything you have to do to run a 7.2 volt battery on the FM MT. like what you have on your truck?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 PM
slawhammer

Well I am glad that some people still can get useful information for my thread....That was the intent of the firehammer..as was my first gas Rc truck that was bought for
me....all the troubles and repairs to make it better....modifications made.......With the help of a lot of good Rc friends along the way...I still have some things to work on with this car.....,,,
I have had some set backs with health issues..some my hobby just sat there....waiting for me....As I am getting back to health now..I should be at my hobby again soon...Slawhammer
Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 PM
DarkFire989

Glad to hear that your feeling better Slaw.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 PM
deviltrigger529

Hey guys, I'm the one selling the FHMT to goneracing_83 and heres the deal. I bought the large alloy motor mount from powerslideracing.com and installed it but once I did and set the gear mesh i went to put the bulkhead brace on it wouldnt "fit" where its supposed to. You know how theres little notches on the motor mount and the rear bulkhead to keep in from sliding either forward or backward. In order for it to fit where it was supposed to I would have to move the motor waaaay forward and it would cause the layshaft and diff gear to not even touch at all. I tried dripping out the holes on the brace but it was never enough to help. Just thought I'd let you guys know from the person with the truck so you can shoot out some ideas.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:06 PM
csp1971

ORIGINAL: deviltrigger529

Hey guys, I'm the one selling the FHMT to goneracing_83 and heres the deal. I bought the large alloy motor mount from powerslideracing.com and installed it but once I did and set the gear mesh i went to put the bulkhead brace on it wouldnt ''fit'' where its supposed to. You know how theres little notches on the motor mount and the rear bulkhead to keep in from sliding either forward or backward. In order for it to fit where it was supposed to I would have to move the motor waaaay forward and it would cause the layshaft and diff gear to not even touch at all. I tried dripping out the holes on the brace but it was never enough to help. Just thought I'd let you guys know from the person with the truck so you can shoot out some ideas.

Devil- any pics at all looking from the top down with the brace off and one with the brace on?

I know when I put the alloy mount on mine the problem i had was that the mount was taller where the brace screwed in. I just put it in place anyway. This is a bit different than the problem I was having.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
slawhammer

Easy enough to do..just set the gear mesh..make a bracket to fit.....first make a temeplete from thin card board..transfer to say 1/8' alum stock..cut it
install your bracket...you have to make many modifications for things to work...when using after market parts...
Make sure you do the under chassie mod..for rear end flexing......Slawhammer
Old 03-15-2010, 06:30 PM
deviltrigger529

Goneracing posted one of the pics with what's left of the stock brace lol. I'm at work now so I can't post anymore as they are on my home computer.

Slaw, I was going to do that but never found the time to and then got into 1/10 electric and lost interest In the FH.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:02 PM
slawhammer

well if you have read most of my tread..you will see I had lots of problems...I should have quit..threw it in the trash...It was junk from the
start..but little did I know....I have spent countless hours on that firehammer....that is why the thread too help others..
I find gasoline more fun ..than any other Rc out there..but that is my choice......Hang in ther with the firehammer..start your own thread....there are lots
of people who will help you along if you ask......Slawhammer
Old 03-19-2010, 11:49 PM
goneracing_83

Slawhammer, i have sat down now for the past two nights and read your thread from page one to then the end. First of all I want to say im glad your pulling thru once agian. Also i have to say that you have done a TON of work to your truck .... Beetle... Now i got my truck used as well just hope'n that mine dont need a tone of stuff out the gate. i do need to get the diff gear and transfer gear to mesh and make that plate like you mentioned. and also i need to get myself a radio system and a kill / failsafe switch. the truck comes with a failsafe but being able to shut down the truck when you know your in trouble and well the truck is WAY out there and just shut it down with your TX that is handy now. my FIRST 1/5 scale truck should be here Wed. cant wait to see the size of it. i have seen a Baja at my LHS and MAN its HUGE. i want one of those too. wife said not so fast mr. lol but i will find a used one later on down the road and fix it up to my liking just like how you did your FH slaw. when you get it used you get it cheaper and that gives you room to put your "hop ups" on it that you want. Now i do agree with you on the bearings in plastic that will be my first thing to do after i get my radio system and well the quick fix for the gear issue. i might have to go thru on powerslide.com and see what i can all get / need. would like to get all new sealed bearings, that is if the ones on the truck are shot. but again slaw you and your truck have come a long way and ever page on this thead is helpful in one way or another. thanks for all the info from everyone that has posted. it sure is going to help me get my truck up and going and getting runnin hard and fast.

thanks again everyone
Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 PM
goneracing_83

OK i got the truck today WOW ITS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buuuutttt i need to get shock rebuild kits for all four shocks the brass? washer at the bottom of the shocks where ovaled out so the shock didnt go up and down strait cheap fix there. So since he said that he got a new Nutech diff for it i wanted to make sure that there was some fluid in it since its a high dollar diff and it is packed full of grease. now my ? is should i clean out the grease and put some fluid in it or should i just leave it be and put it back in the truck? I also need to get some mesh to put around the flywheel so i dont have to worry about rocks getting up there and need to make a cover for the diff as well. Need to get a 3 channel radio too since im going to get the killer bee fail safe even tho the truck came with a standard one but it only works for the throttle and brake servo. ( better then nuttin ) also need to get some blue loctite since none of the diff's bolts didnt have any and the "ring gear" didnt have any on them and the case ones didn either. dont need that to come apart on me. the dog bones look good but the drive cups show some where prolly should get a new set ( the outside ones ) and the cone filter that is on it is dirty what is the best way to clean them as that i have never messed with them before and know nuttin about them. i have always used foam ones that you soak them in airfilter oil and then ring out the extra and then good to go. ( thats what i did with my nitros ) the transfer gear shows wear goin to change that out since i have it tore down this far. now i also got a 14 tooth pinion gear from atomic and its a duratrax pinion gear but its too small. what size of splur gear do i need to make the 14 t pinion work? or what pinion size do you guys run? i would rather have more torque then speed. its a heavy truck and all i do is bash. small jumps, climb dirt piles, and i like doin wheelies. i hope here in the next month or so i can have all aluminum parts where bearings are. i seen that the one diff mounts shows some wear not sure if it got warm or what but that is first thing that needs done.

Just letting you guys know what things i have to replace on a used truck..... also, csp1971, the large enigne mount IS BLUE! so soon as i get the truck back together i will get the transfer gear and the diff "ring gear" meshed and then take a old biss. card and make my a template to make my own brace not hard since i have access to a machine shop. now to mesh them gears what should i use to run thru the gears again? to make sure i have a good mesh? any info will be great!! thanks guys

also slawhammer thanks for the info on the brace. Hows your hammer running?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 AM
csp1971

Yeah, the 5th scales blow your mind the first time you get your hands on one!

OK i got the truck today WOW ITS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buuuutttt i need to get shock rebuild kits for all four shocks the brass? washer at the bottom of the shocks where ovaled out so the shock didnt go up and down strait cheap fix there.

Here is what you want for the shock rebuild http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHTX8&P=7

So since he said that he got a new Nutech diff for it i wanted to make sure that there was some fluid in it since its a high dollar diff and it is packed full of grease. now my ? is should i clean out the grease and put some fluid in it or should i just leave it be and put it back in the truck?

When you say "packed" you don't mean to the point you can't get another teaspoon in there or do you mean just enough to keep the gears coated and everything good? I would leave the grease in there and wouldn't fuss with fluid.

I also need to get some mesh to put around the flywheel so i dont have to worry about rocks getting up there and need to make a cover for the diff as well. Need to get a 3 channel radio too since im going to get the killer bee fail safe even tho the truck came with a standard one but it only works for the throttle and brake servo. ( better then nuttin )

Check KillerRc for killswitches. What brand/type of radio do you have? If it's a decent 2 channel (I would stick with 2.4ghz), I would get the Killer Bee v2 for 2 channel radios. http://www.killerrc.com/products/pro...killswitch.php

also need to get some blue loctite since none of the diff's bolts didnt have any and the ''ring gear'' didnt have any on them and the case ones didn either. dont need that to come apart on me.

In some cases, you may find it better to use red loctite. If by the ring gear you mean the differential gear, I would use red.

the dog bones look good but the drive cups show some where prolly should get a new set ( the outside ones ) and the cone filter that is on it is dirty what is the best way to clean them as that i have never messed with them before and know nuttin about them. i have always used foam ones that you soak them in airfilter oil and then ring out the extra and then good to go. ( thats what i did with my nitros )

Get rid of that cone filter if it's like this:

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...it.A/id.735/.f

Those will just suck in dirt and you'll ruin your carb.

Get yourself one of these instead (the HPI Baja filter system is great):

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Baja-5b-SS-A...item563a9a3470

And also get one of these Rednecks to wrap around it:

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...it.A/id.771/.f

Then get some air filter oil and apply it to the foam

the transfer gear shows wear goin to change that out since i have it tore down this far. now i also got a 14 tooth pinion gear from atomic and its a duratrax pinion gear but its too small. what size of splur gear do i need to make the 14 t pinion work? or what pinion size do you guys run? i would rather have more torque then speed. its a heavy truck and all i do is bash. small jumps, climb dirt piles, and i like doin wheelies. i hope here in the next month or so i can have all aluminum parts where bearings are. i seen that the one diff mounts shows some wear not sure if it got warm or what but that is first thing that needs done.

The 48tooth should work just fine with the 14tooth (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHTW4&P=7)

What pipe do you currently have?

Just letting you guys know what things i have to replace on a used truck..... also, csp1971, the large enigne mount IS BLUE! so soon as i get the truck back together i will get the transfer gear and the diff ''ring gear'' meshed and then take a old biss. card and make my a template to make my own brace not hard since i have access to a machine shop. now to mesh them gears what should i use to run thru the gears again? to make sure i have a good mesh? any info will be great!! thanks guys

See if you can move the motor around to mesh the 14tooth transfer gear with the Differential. If you can't, take a picture and post it because I'm curious about how close it gets.

also slawhammer thanks for the info on the brace. Hows your hammer running?
Good luck with the updates, it's a great truck with a little TLC.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:37 PM
slawhammer

Goneracing.....there is alot of information in my thread about the firehammer......now you should start your own thread....as my thread is for helping people like your self...
With your own thread..you can watch your firehammer change for the better ..and other people will help you as well.........Slawhammer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.