Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Fiberglass Molding your RC Body

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Cacique_2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Molding your RC Body

Has anybody used some kind of fiber glass to make RC bodies using a lexan body as a mold??
I have an old lexan body no one makes anymore and I want to make 2 or 3 copies so that I can use them for racing/spare parts etc.
Can some one help me on this one?

Thanks

LRR
Old 07-09-2008, 03:08 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fiberglass Molding your RC Body

Yes you can use the body as a plug, but not a mold.

You will need to mount the body to a ridged wood frame that holds it atleast 6" from the ground. Make sure the body is mounted real good and is not twisted. Remove all decals and fix anything that needs fixing. You will need to get some PVA this is a thin liquid that you spray out of a spray gun and it will layer the body with a very thin film that will keep the fiberglass from sticking. You then wax over the film with mold release wax. Spray with gel coat and then layer with 1.5oz fiberglass matting. You may need to do parting lines if the shape of the body is complex. If thats the case you will also need some really thin wood and a very good quality clay. You will do the parting lines before you spray with pva.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:45 PM
dyna

You can also clean the inside of the body and spray liquid mask let dry then brush in some fibreglas resin and lay in some resin laiden mat in small pieces, use a brush to tap out any air bubbles, let cure 3-4 hours then pop out body. If done correctly you will end up with a very smooth body on the out side.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:31 PM
wan6176

my fren doing carbon fibre bodyshell too
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73195.jpg
Views:	1185
Size:	704.6 KB
ID:	987027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31474.jpg
Views:	1932
Size:	731.4 KB
ID:	987028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42817.jpg
Views:	3283
Size:	698.8 KB
ID:	987029  
Old 07-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Vette09

ORIGINAL: luisrinsivillo

Has anybody used some kind of fiber glass to make RC bodies using a lexan body as a mold??
I have an old lexan body no one makes anymore and I want to make 2 or 3 copies so that I can use them for racing/spare parts etc.
Can some one help me on this one?

Thanks

LRR
Hey Luis, ready for next weekend?! Heard about your win, congrats! Was there a good turnout? Anyway, what kind of body are you looking to make a copy of?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Cacique_2002

Thanks, there were only 4 cars!! , but I still had fun, eventhough the reason I won was casuse the guy in front of me lost a wheel nut and the wheel came off!!!!

Are you guys coming down this coming weekend??? I just ordered the balls "beebee" for Gary.

I have a Ferrari 360!!! hopefully I can figure this fiberglass thing out!!!!

The body I want to use as a molding/plug is already painted on the inside, so I don't want to damage the paint. That said, if I sray or brush PVA on the inside, will that damage the paint??? or should I use the exterior of the body since is not painted and apply the PVA and wax to the exterior??? I am really confused now!!!![]

LuisR

[/quote]
Hey Luis, ready for next weekend?! Heard about your win, congrats! Was there a good turnout? Anyway, what kind of body are you looking to make a copy of?
[/quote]
Old 07-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Vette09

ORIGINAL: luisrinsivillo

Thanks, there were only 4 cars!! , but I still had fun, eventhough the reason I won was casuse the guy in front of me lost a wheel nut and the wheel came off!!!!

Are you guys coming down this coming weekend??? I just ordered the balls "beebee" for Gary.

Hey, in order to win a race, you have to finish! Never say you only won because someone else broke. You won because you were more prepared. And yes, we're all coming back(except for Gary) next weekend. Can't wait. Bringing some new guys also.