Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tips for Titan/Hurricane/Thunderbolt.

I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this or not but I have some interesting info concerning Thunderbolt and the Hurricane which I believe are the same.

1. Center Diff mod............... I stripped my diffs, cleaned and reshimmed them and sealed the cases with shoe goo. I did this by placing a small amount around the top of the diff cover before seating it and then after seating it I placed a small bead around the bottom before replacing the ring gear. After curing for 24 hour I removed the top drive cup and proceeded to fill it completely with Ofna 120,000 diff fluid which is the thickest I could find. It took some time to fill and I had to replace the drive cup periodicly to and spin the diff to remove the air bubbles. After putting the truck back together all I can say is HOLY CRAP!!!! it made a would of difference. This thing now moves like a bat of of hell!. The was minimal loading to the front wheels and my hurricane was giving my brothers Losi 8ight truggy a serious run for it money on a flat track. I ran it for approx 3 hours off and on and have not noticed a single leak. For anyone with a Thunderbolt/Titan/Hurricane this is a inexpensive fix that is incredible it cost me $6.99 for the diff fluid and $3.99 for the Shoe Goo.

2. Shock fluid.....In my Hurricane the stock shock fluid is like water and does not do much to dampen the hits. I did not have and of the FG shock fluid and noe was available locally so what do I do? I did what any good Hobbyist does, I went rummaging around my work shop :-) Lo and behld I found various viscosity of diff fluild for my 1/8 scale which is MUCH thick than shock fluid. After some trial and error I discover that 3000 in the front and 2000 in the rear makes this truck handle like a champ. It absorbs the bumps like it should and comes out of the turns faster than before. The heavier fluid in the front helps to kick the front up in jumps and it flies pretty even through the air. This diff fluid is available in most hobby shops that have 1/8 scale cars and is easier and cheaper to get than the FG equivalent. You will need about two bottles of each weight. There will be some left over but then there always is.

I hope these tips help someone and if you try it I think you will be pleased with the results.
    Tone

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tips for Titan/Hurricane/Thunderbolt.

Good tips, thanks for that.

I'd like to add...

Dogbones popping out... Some trucks have this problem, some don't. It stems from the fact that Smartech seem to have supplied o-rings in the outdrives on some models, but not others. In any case, it's a very simple fix.

Remove the lower outer hingepins on each wheel and take out the dogbones. Check for o-rings. If none are present, cut a small piece of fuel tubing tubing into 8 x 2mm pieces, hereafter referred to as spacers. Put one spacer in each diff out drive, and wheel axle. Now carefully replace the dogbone being careful not to disturb your new spacers. Use a bit of silicone oil to 'stick' the spacers in if they keep falling back out again. There ya go, no more dogbones popping out.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Elcon springs in the drive cups are a great fix for the dogbone issue.
    They fit tightly into the cup.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

great thread
    Havoc 4.6cc, FireHammer 23cc , Tmaxx HPI 21,Tmaxx 2.5,Mini LST, Cessna 182, Focus 400EP Brushless www.youtube.com/benduchi