Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:17 AM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG Tires

There was a little bit of discussion on fg tire compounds that I found, as far as using med vs hard. What I'm wondering is, will paying the extra money for hard compound tires be worth it? Does hard compound last longer? Do they provide more traction? What else should I know? And where can I get them the cheapest (already mounted)?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:04 AM
AngelShark

Default RE: FG Tires

[link=http://www.fgsupply.com/cart.cgi?group=84706&child=88019&movetopage=1]http://www.fgsupply.com/cart.cgi?group=84706&child=88019&movetopage=1[/link]
Old 07-15-2008, 06:55 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cheezer1222

There was a little bit of discussion on fg tire compounds that I found, as far as using med vs hard. What I'm wondering is, will paying the extra money for hard compound tires be worth it? Does hard compound last longer? Do they provide more traction? What else should I know? And where can I get them the cheapest (already mounted)?
I am not a tire expert,but as i have learned the essentials are:hard compound is for use in warm conditions(the tires can get too soft if using soft compound in hot cond. ),soft compound is for use in cold conditions(the hard tires will not get hot enough to get good grip).As i have experienced the hard tires are a bit cheaper than the soft ones,and yes,they last a bit longer because of the hard compound,and no,they will provide less traction than the soft ones.Desicions desicions desicions...
Old 07-16-2008, 01:15 AM
cheezer1222

So medium compound would be a pretty good, middle of the road, choice? I know innovative hobby has hard compound ones already mounted, but not medium (at least, not that I saw). FG supply has both, but I'd like to compare prices with a couple other sites. Suggestions are always welcome.

I might also mention that I'm looking for monster truck tires.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,i thought you meant 1/5-scale onroad tires!Are you going to use them in gravel/sand too?Medium will be ok then,not too hard for onroad use and not too soft for gravel/sand.
Tires from MCD also fits the FG rims,well the rims for MCD fits FG too as long as it dont have the hexagonal instead of the square.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 AM
cheezer1222

Yeah, I'll probably be running it in a little bit of everything (dirt, gravel, pavement, etc.). Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at some of the MCD tires too.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:45 PM
mbe301

I just got these in the mail - huge!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47521.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	991898  
Old 07-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just as a point, FG supply hards on the front of the monsters, and mediums on the rear. My opinion is that if you are not racing competitively, longevity is the important thing, and I would get hard compounds. When I replace the rear tires (which no doubt will occur before the fronts, since they are a compound softer, AND do all the hard work), I will put another set of hard on the back.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:08 PM
cheezer1222

Thanks Foxy. Yeah, I am mostly looking for longevity. I think I'll go with the hard compound now.