Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to the big stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 PM
racer/flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the big stuff

I have been into 1:10 scale rc cars for about 6 years now and have had a lot of fun racing them. My track closed down a few months ago and now I have no place that I even know of around here to race. I would like a car that I could take off road and not worry about getting hung up on anything, and what better than a 1:5 scale baja 5b. I was just wondering if 1:5 is as much fun as 1:10 scale. Seeing as how they are so big I wonder if they feel as quick as a 1:10. Would a baja be something with enough power to catch some big air. If they are as much fun as a savage, than I would say it is a win win situation. $4 a gallon sure beats $35 dollars for nitro. Thanks for any advice!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New to the big stuff

There's simply no comparison. My only regret about getting out of 1/10th nitro racing was that I didn't do it sooner.

Just two years ago I was running in three classes. Nitro 1/10th on road, Nitro 1/8th buggy, and micro on-road nitro. I had 9 nitros all race spec, with RB engines.

I slowly exchanged or sold them all and got gassers. First I got an FG Monster Hummer H2, and shortly after converted it to a Monster Beetle Pro (much better). Then I got an HPI Baja, and put $3000 into it. Next was the Smartech Thunderbolt 4wd buggy, then recently two MCD Rally 4wd on-roaders. The Baja was exchanged for one of the 4wd Rally cars. I just didn't enjoy the Baja as much as I enjoyed the others, especially the FG MB, and I don't miss it. I don't need two rear wheel drive off roaders, so the Baja was the one to go. I love the FG, it's so fast and has so much character. Now that I've rebuilt the suspension it handles the rough stuff pretty well, and it'll pull wheelies on command, but not if you don't want it to. The Baja was the best looking car I ever had, I must say, and was very fast, but it just didn't engage me like the FG. That has partly to do with where I run. The baja is really a sand car and likes lots of elevation changes, which I don't have here. It's not that I think the FG is necessarily better (though out of the box, it is fractionally tougher, but also more expensive).

Invariably anyone who drives the baja for the first time, is left dumbstruck. It's very fast out of the box, faster than any 1/10th racer, and handles pretty good too. It'll throw up a rooster tail that'll throw stones like bullets for 5m behind the car. Amazing power from these gas engines. But the real bonus?? 40mins runtime per tank, no break in to speak of, no maintenance to speak of, and tune once and forget. It's truly the best way to enjoy the hobby if you can afford the initial investment. The Baja has the best aftermarket too, of all the gassers, just look at what's available... http://www.davesmotors.com/store/hpibaja5bparts.html

As for your specific questions... I think the link in my sig has the answer to your question of speed. The 4wd thunderbolt is a riot now that I've swapped the engine, and as you can see, climbs into the sky rather nicely.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Jalen

Man always wanted a baja. those things are killer
Old 07-18-2008, 02:29 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't be disappointed. I've never seen anyone try an FG MT5 and be like "No thanks, I'll stick with my savage" [&:]
Old 07-18-2008, 07:22 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I went from 1/10 electric to 1/5 gasser, skipping nitro all together. I figured that accounting for fuel costs, regular engine rebuilds and hearing about nitro engine frustrations I would be money AHEAD very quickly. It costs about a penny or two per minute in fuel costs. By my "back of the envelope" calcuations nitro is probably about ten cents per minute to run. And with the 24 ounce fuel tank you will go for 45 minutes before refueling.

I spent $575 for a used Firehammer about three years ago and love every minute of it. Check out the RCU classifieds for used 1/5 scale. You will find that gassers are mostly adult-owned and operated. This usually means they are taken care of (even if driven hard). You could pick up a used gasser for $600 - $1000 easily and get a buggy/truck that has a lot of issues sorted out and some hop-ups included.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I don't know this seller but there is a brand new Firehammer for sale in the RCU classifieds for $750. Seller says he will negotiate:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=415163

BTW, I'd recommend sticking with FG, HPI or a Smartech-built (Duratrax, XTM, Carson) buggy/truck if going used unless you are getting another clone brand for next to nothing. You can find XRC clone stuff for cheap new so buying used is probably not worth the savings (unless the seller is giving it away).
Old 07-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Smartechracing

you need 2WD or 4WD?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
racer/flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'm leaning toward a baja 5b super sport. I live out here in Ohio so there is definitely enough places to run something of this size. Thanks again.