Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

MT wheels/tires dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 PM
brent1972indy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT wheels/tires dilemma

I need new tires for my FHMT/FGMB but I guess I have to buy new wheels since they are super glued. Does anyone have any experience with peeling off used tires and re-gluing new ones on to old wheels? I would like to have beadlock style wheels but i cant justify paying 399 for the rockstar billets. I would not be against buying fg-hpi baja adapters and going with the economical baja beadlock wheels and tires but I put a set up to my beetle and they are just to small and narrow. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 PM
clubin

Default RE: MT wheels/tires dilemma

Put the tire rim and foam into boiling water for a few minutes, when you take it out of the water they should come apart real easy, if not boil em a bit more. That is the easiest way to do it. There are others, but I like this one, the glue crystalizes and releases when it gets hot that's how it works.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Doesn't someone sell some no-name Orient express cheapies that are supposed to be pretty good? I just saw a thread about this. Look around a bit, the thread is only a few days old. Maybe someone can link to it who knows what I am talking about.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:23 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

boiling them works!! ive done it plenty of times. some tires are worse then others and your fingures will be sore from all that pulling. but it will work. just do one tire at a time. ive had some that just fall off the rim and others that need alittle help
Old 07-20-2008, 10:26 PM
clubin

ORIGINAL: kryptonite5b

boiling them works!! ive done it plenty of times. some tires are worse then others and your fingures will be sore from all that pulling. but it will work. just do one tire at a time. ive had some that just fall off the rim and others that need alittle help
Just to add to that when you're done you can add some veggies and BAM you got supper. lol

Realy doesn't sound rite though, boiling tires.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
reaganreagan
My Feedback: (25)

Tire soup mmmmmmmmm yummy.

This method does work though, I use it on the 1/8 buggy tires whenever I need to change wheels.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I boiled my original Firehammer tires. They came off *eventually* but it took a very long time (rolling boil the whole time), stinks pretty bad (do on the grille outside) and I ended up scraping alot. The wheels took some damage in the process. Unless you have a big pot to do them all at the same time plan on it taking alot of time (and energy).

I'm pretty stingy when it comes to buying new if I can get by with refurbishing old but in this case I'd just buy new wheels and tires. Especially if these were originally glued by the manufacturer.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:29 PM
wan6176

do u noe acetone? nail polisher remover can do the job too.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
JQuest64

Innovative has MCD MT rims and tires for a great price. With the code on their homepage they come to about $170 before shipping for all four tires and rims.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:29 PM
mbe301

Ebay search "FG monster tire"
Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 PM
part-time
My Feedback: (1)

i used to boil them also but i had some water get inside and it squirted out on me so now i bake them. about 250 degrees for a 1/2 hour and they come off. the mcd tires look great ill post some pics of the ones i just mounted up tuesday.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 PM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Doesn't someone sell some no-name Orient express cheapies that are supposed to be pretty good? I just saw a thread about this. Look around a bit, the thread is only a few days old. Maybe someone can link to it who knows what I am talking about.

Here it is!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7737882/tm.htm
Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 AM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

I boiled my original Firehammer tires. They came off *eventually* but it took a very long time (rolling boil the whole time), stinks pretty bad (do on the grille outside) and I ended up scraping alot. The wheels took some damage in the process. Unless you have a big pot to do them all at the same time plan on it taking alot of time (and energy).

I'm pretty stingy when it comes to buying new if I can get by with refurbishing old but in this case I'd just buy new wheels and tires. Especially if these were originally glued by the manufacturer.
my FG ST wheels came glued from the factory , and i boiled them off with no issues when i broke a rim . but i used a big pot and put some cooking salt in the water to raise the boil temp up abit ...