Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

HELP!!!!!!! really new to 1/5 scale gas

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

HELP!!!!!!! really new to 1/5 scale gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:29 PM
stkup10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!!!! really new to 1/5 scale gas

Hi everyone .. I'm like 10 min new to this thing . I'm just getting into this
1/5 scale RC stuff and I wanted to pick everyones brain to see what suggestions
are out there. I got a RC GAS Hummer HUMVEE Truck 23cc ( Gets here Monday jul 21 08 )

By : ShengQi

Now I know some people don't like this truck much but it was cheap
and from what I hear I can up grade the parts as I go with : FG , Smartech , Carson , Duratrax parts ( any other ones that will fit ? )
Here is a pic and what it has in it ....

E N G I N E:

Engine Type :23cc DZY23SC
Four Gears, Centrifugal clutch
X-power Japanese Carburator (Waibro)
Japanese NGK spark plug
Start method: Pull Start
K&N Style AIR Filter
Fuel Type :Gasoline/2 stroke lubricant oil—25:1
Remote device: 2-channel(Futaba-OEM)
Speed :80km/hour
Range :45 minutes
Japanese two channel remote and 15kgs large torque direction servo

D I M E N S I O N S / C A P A C I T Y:

Length :700mm
Beam :530mm
Height :350mm
Tire Size :190mm
Distance :480mm(front and rear wheel)
G.W. / N.W. :15kg/11kg

S U S P E N S I O N / B O D Y:
Decals :ORION. trade decals
Assembled Body Base
Over length spring shock absorber
Hard aluminum base
Rear Wheel Disc brake

This is what i would like to do to it .. Will I be able to do this stuff
or am I going to run into probloms and do you have any other suggestions ? Now rember I'm just 10min new to this so links and pic's
would go a long way with me ...

alloy parts ( As I destroy them )
FG Monster beetle body ( or any other place i can get cool body for it )
4wd conversion kit
chrome muffler
side guards from the firehammer mt
Alloy rims ( http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/index.php?cPath=41 )
Lights ( you know like the KC lights ) and tail lights. ( just for show )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87595.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	994472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15158.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	994473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14829.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	994474   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43610.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	994475  
Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: HELP!!!!!!! really new to 1/5 scale gas

ORIGINAL: stkup10

Hi everyone .. I'm like 10 min new to this thing . I'm just getting into this
1/5 scale RC stuff and I wanted to pick everyones brain to see what suggestions
are out there. I got a RC GAS Hummer HUMVEE Truck 23cc ( Gets here Monday jul 21 08 )

By : ShengQi

Now I know some people don't like this truck much but it was cheap
and from what I hear I can up grade the parts as I go with : FG , Smartech , Carson , Duratrax parts ( any other ones that will fit ? )

E N G I N E:

Engine Type :23cc DZY23SC
Four Gears, Centrifugal clutch
X-power Japanese Carburator (Waibro)
Japanese NGK spark plug
Start method: Pull Start
K&N Style AIR Filter
Fuel Type :Gasoline/2 stroke lubricant oil—25:1
Remote device: 2-channel(Futaba-OEM)
Speed :80km/hour
Range :45 minutes
Japanese two channel remote and 15kgs large torque direction servo

D I M E N S I O N S / C A P A C I T Y:

Length :700mm
Beam :530mm
Height :350mm
Tire Size :190mm
Distance :480mm(front and rear wheel)
G.W. / N.W. :15kg/11kg

S U S P E N S I O N / B O D Y:
Decals :ORION. trade decals
Assembled Body Base
Over length spring shock absorber
Hard aluminum base
Rear Wheel Disc brake

or am I going to run into probloms and do you have any other suggestions ? Now rember I'm just 10min new to this so links and pic's

alloy parts ( As I destroy them )
FG Monster beetle body ( or any other place i can get cool body for it )
4wd conversion kit
chrome muffler
side guards from the firehammer mt
Alloy rims ( http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/index.php?cPath=41 )
Lights ( you know like the KC lights ) and tail lights. ( just for show )
I'd start with radio gear and servo's and throw the stock ones in the trash and definetly toss the k&n filter in the trash unless you play on only running onroad.....alloy rims you don't need.....4wd conversion kit....why not just buy a redcat or smartech they are already 4wd if you want 4wd....it's nice to have but surely not needed......but really basically change the radio gear and servos and toss a good air filter on it and see how things go...sometimes you'd be suprised how well these hold up and other times you're not happy at all but either way everything can be fixed afterall it's not a XTM
Old 07-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Stunt4life

Thats prty sweet look, look even more badass with a m60 on top lol
Old 07-21-2008, 01:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with badz, Start by changing out the electronics... as for the rest of your post...

ORIGINAL: stkup10
what I hear I can up grade the parts as I go with : FG , Smartech , Carson , Duratrax parts ( any other ones that will fit ? )

Yep, SOME parts from these manufacturers will fit on your truck, but not all. I believe it's mostly the Firehammer stuff you should be looking at.

alloy parts ( As I destroy them ) That's the right plan, upgrade as you break in order to avoid wasting money.
FG Monster beetle body ( or any other place i can get cool body for it ) Yep, that body can be made to fit, you may need to get creative.
4wd conversion kit Forget a 4wd conversion, there is no reliable on available at this time.
chrome muffler Most pipes for the FG Marder based cars should fit, but again, may need you to get a bit creative.
side guards from the firehammer mt www.towerhobbies.com
Alloy rims ( http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/index.php?cPath=41 ) That's $300 plus dollars which would be better spent elsewhere. Although they do hold up to bashing, they increase the rotating mass of your drivetrain consriderably, and will lose their finish if bashed hard. If you do get them, keep them for the shelf and for photo shoots
Lights ( you know like the KC lights ) and tail lights. ( just for show ) Ebay has all kinds of great light kits.
Good luck!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:20 AM
stkup10

whats a good radio gear to get ? all the stuf i want to do is all going to be down the line as $$$ comes in ..lol.. I saw the 4wd kit and thought it would be a good thing to have for hills and snow . I guess i'll save that till i get a better truck down the road and get some time under my belt with this one .. As far as the rims and lights that stuf is just going to be for show like you said ... is there any kind of brand of LED lights i should look for or where to look on E-Bay .. i was looking and couldn't find any ... just saw thow much the 4WD kit is .. OK ... NO..
thanks for looking and leting me know what you thought .. i know i'll be on here alot picking brains to fix stuff.. but thats what this hobby is for .. beating the hell out if it and taking it home and tinkering with it and making it look cool ..
OH.... one thing I don't think the Firehammer stuff has any alloy parts .. I was looking and couldn't find any .. any one have good places to look for that ?

Thanks again
Old 07-21-2008, 02:45 AM
Foxy

A member on here called Hellya will become your new best friend. He is VERY knowledgeable about what fits and what doesn't, and where to find the best prices. I must confess, I'm not much of a clone man. It's not that I disagree with them, like some others here, it's just that I can afford the originals, and like to have the biggest selection of parts.

I know www.towerhobbies.com has some firehammer stuff. Carson and FG stuff can be found in europe at www.rc-car-online.de

If I were you I wouldn't throw a lot of money at this truck. Simply use it to decide how much you love this side of the hobby (invariably everyone does! ), and if you decide that this is the way you want to go, then save your money toward a better model.

From what I understand, this car is a clone of the Smartech/firehammer, and they are clones of the marder, so it's really a clone of a clone. If you enjoy this car, consider a real FG for your next, or if you're a truck man, and you're dead set on 4wd, you have the Redcat Rampage, Smartech Titan, and at the higher end, the MCD Proline EVO truck.

Try to make sure that whatever you buy will go onto the next truck you get (for example if you buy an expensive exhaust pipe, designed for FG, and use it on this, you should consider the next car to be a real FG so that you can use the pipe and it's not wasted money. Cos no matter what you do to this car in terms of upgrades, it's still a ShenQi, and if/when you decide to sell it on, it won't matter what it has on it). That's my opinion, and that's what I believe these clones are for. They are a cheap taste of what gassers to offer, and simply the first step.

PS. Nearly forgot, good radio gear... As far as radios go, the Futaba 3PM FASST system is the best value for money, period. You can pick it up at amainhobbies.com without servos for just $200.

As for servos, If you can afford it, put a Multiplex Rhino Digi 4 (again at tower hobbies) on steering. Another cheaper option is the Hitec HS805BB, and between those two is the Hitec 5745. For throttle, any reasonable servo will do.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 AM
davido666

I bought one of these a month ago. The only problem that I have had is the drive shaft for the spur gear was slipping out. I had to realing the gears and the bearings on the shaft. The grub screws are very soft in the gears and one of them was stripped. I used the stock radio with a fail safe for a while and had no problems with it. I am still using the stock servos. I did finally put in my DX2 and it is a much better radio. I was having tuning problems one day. When I gave it full throttle on the road it was bogging. On one pass the greeen silcon right angle exhaust extension blew off from the force of the exhaust and then the truck took off. So for now I want to put on a straight extension out the side of the truck. The metal gear for the clutch is a good upgrade but I am still waiting for my gears to wear out. I have ordered so firehammer hammer parts. You do want to get rid of the K&M still filter. They don't stop the small particles of sand and dirt. I just ordered the upgraded firehammer filter which is a two stage with oil and put it on. It is a better filter for where I run. Have a look at the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rmxVtBtAU
Old 07-21-2008, 10:15 AM
wan6176

foxy u stated that Multiplex Rhino Digi 4 tower hobbies did sell that servo? can it be used wif dx 3 specktrum?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Foxy

Yes.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:35 PM
tizdaz

as others have said, get good radio gear (best you can afford) mpex are a good choice, as you can use the radio gear in your next large scale so wont be dead money, as for hopping up, i wouldnt bother, you would end up spending just as much (probably more!) as you would to just buy a new HPI or FG (around £500)