Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

XTM Grizzly vs. Duratrax Firehammer

I heard the duratrax firehammer was a copy of the XTM Grizzly. I was wondering if the design was the same, could I use firehammer parts on the grizzly? And will the DDM tuned pipe for the firehammer fit on the Grizzly with the stock 27cc engine?

Thank you,
    PB
    Beer, it\'\'s cheaper than therapy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: XTM Grizzly vs. Duratrax Firehammer

same thing... thankyou smartech.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don\'\'t.
    AMA: 722748

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So smartech was the original? Even the grizzly is a copy of the smartech? wow

So the DDM pipe will work with the XTM 27cc engine?

Thank you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

its a smartech at heart... which is a clone of the FG. If you are interested in getting one, beware of the many problems that other people encounter. Do some research on the forums... maybe some of the past owners can post their experiences here if they came across this thread.

the pipe should fit
    There are only 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don\'\'t.

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lets clarify here... Smartech cloned the Marder and made a monster truck chassis out of it, called the Bigfoot. They then licensed this car to Duratrax, who reproduced it identically, the Smartech Bigfoot and the Duratrax firehammer, are all but identical. Then a number of cheaper clone companies cloned the Firehammer. So pedebeater, yes, the XTM is a clone of a clone.

There are no inherent problems with the Firehammer, except the flexing caused by the plastic engine mounts, which is a problem the FG original also had. The problematic models are the clones of the clone, not the Firehammer/bigfoot, which was a fairly reliable and tough good value gasser.

Smartech was always the best of the cloners, and is now shedding that image by producing their own cars, and even engines. I would NEVER put Smartech in the same category as Wind/XRC/XTM, etc.

The pipe 'should' fit, but no guarantees. Still, as I've said in the past, anything can be made to fit anything with a dremel and some creativity.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's another two weaknesses in the Smartech OEM trucks/buggies - the plastic pinion gear and the plastic differential housing. CAT5 is now making a Smartech-sized pinion gear (different diameter than FG) which you can get from LargeScaleRC.com. The differential housing is identical to FG. I run an FG 8485 limited slip diff in my Firehammer buggy and it fit with no modifications at all. You can get the FG 8484 diff housing for less than $80. Duratrax also sells an alloy diff case you can get through a Duratrax dealer or Tower Hobbies.

A less expensive fix for the plastic engine mounts is to get an FG alloy small engine mount. The small mount is identical to the Smartech mount and sells for about $25. You can crank down the engine well with the small alloy mount and it will handle the load. The plastic large engine mount then doesn't have to handle the stress of bashing.
    Firehammer with Zen 26cc and FG 8485 limited slip diff (no more \"sit and spin\" - just hooks up and goes).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought the XTM Grizzly was out before the duratrax firehammer mt?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We produced 1/5 for XTM and Duratrax before . We still produce for Duratrax until now.
    Manufacturer of RC Cars
    A member of Perfect international group

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah that's what i thought You make them FOR duratrax...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

There's another two weaknesses in the Smartech OEM trucks/buggies - the plastic pinion gear and the plastic differential housing. CAT5 is now making a Smartech-sized pinion gear (different diameter than FG) which you can get from LargeScaleRC.com. The differential housing is identical to FG. I run an FG 8485 limited slip diff in my Firehammer buggy and it fit with no modifications at all. You can get the FG 8484 diff housing for less than $80. Duratrax also sells an alloy diff case you can get through a Duratrax dealer or Tower Hobbies.

A less expensive fix for the plastic engine mounts is to get an FG alloy small engine mount. The small mount is identical to the Smartech mount and sells for about $25. You can crank down the engine well with the small alloy mount and it will handle the load. The plastic large engine mount then doesn't have to handle the stress of bashing.

How can you do that?the Fg internals spider gears have different sized splines then the firehammer stock ones? 6mm stock 8mm FG, did you change the driveshafts/drivecups as well? I went through all this when I did my ball drive conversion on my FH
    www.bocabearings.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So something like this, is it a good deal or not? My wife really wants a 1/5 scale monster truck but I don't know that she really wants to spend $1500 on one of the really high-end ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-F150-1-5-RC...em230275072606

Thanks,
    David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is what I was going to get until I found a good deal on a used Grizzly. Looks like a great truck. Only advantage my Grizzly will have is the 27cc engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tkn0spdr, do some research on the truck before making any final decisions. Find out what the biggest negatives about the truck are, then focus on how you can improve them.

The bare minimums as far as problems that I know of are the gears and the motor mounts... other guys who have the trucks, hopefully they chime in!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tkn0spdr

So something like this, is it a good deal or not? My wife really wants a 1/5 scale monster truck but I don't know that she really wants to spend $1500 on one of the really high-end ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-F150-1-5-RC...em230275072606

Thanks,
    David

I own a Firehammer MT. I personally think that the for the Bigfoot you are seeing on Ebay is a good one. Considering the FHMT is 800+.

You will want to replace the following parts eventually (all prices are estimates, I didn't look them up):

1) metal pinion (available at innovativehobby.com) about 22 bucks
    2) Alloy differential housing (available sometimes at Towerhobbies.com or as #8484 FG part) about 60 bucks at Tower or buying the FG brand it's 85 bucks. If you don't replace this, the plastic will eventually fail and you will destroy your gears (the price of the alloy diff housing)
    3) Large alloy motor mount (HobbyThek) The shipping from Germany will run you 40+ bucks. But as KenGentry said above, if you crank down on the smaller alloy engine mount, you should be good.
    4) The radio that came with my Firehammer MT was a piece. An FM Futaba that just glitched something awful. You'll want to replace whatever radio that comes with that thing with a 2.4ghz radio (Futaba, Spektrum, Airtronics). Chalk up about 200 bucks there.
    5) Tuned Pipe eventually, (davesmotors.com) about 150. Night and day with performance compared to the lawnmower muffler they put on these things.

Overall, parts are cheap for the Firehammer MT/Smartech Bigfoot/XTM Grizzly, usually in stock through Towerhobbies.com.

I also have a Baja 5b. If I had to pick between the two on which one I'd rather have.....I'd pick the Baja 5b. I like both, but the Baja has TONS of aftermarket parts. Every part on that car has a replacement. You can also fit FG tires and rims on it with conversions.

It's an expensive hobby and requires maintenance (screws vibrating loose, loctite). These are the most fun rc cars I've ever owned. Parts break, try to remember that these are 20+ pound vehicles and bashing the hell out of them is going to break parts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also have a Baja 5b. If I had to pick between the two on which one I'd rather have.....I'd pick the Baja 5b. I like both, but the Baja has TONS of aftermarket parts. Every part on that car has a replacement. You can also fit FG tires and rims on it with conversions.

It's an expensive hobby and requires maintenance (screws vibrating loose, loctite). These are the most fun rc cars I've ever owned. Parts break, try to remember that these are 20+ pound vehicles and bashing the hell out of them is going to break parts.
    Thanks for the info. I don't mind spending over a period of time to end up with a good truck, just didn't want to get something that would never be good.
    I like the Baja too, will probably end up with one of those for myself, my wife really like the 'monster truck' look though, that's why she got into the hobby.
    I fly helicopters so I know about things breaking/wearing out. Just got into gas there as well. Trying to sell off my last nitro heli to get another gasser. Probably never go back until A123s become dirt cheap, and I mean the really dirty dirt.

Thanks,
    David
    http://www.FloridaPets.org