Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

What radio system...??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Mr Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What radio system...??

Hi guys,

i'm in need of a new radio system as I cant suss whats wong with my Sanwa MX3 FHSS.Now i've always been a bit sceptical about the whole 2.4ghz thing and being a radio ham I know that the higher the frequency goes,the less penetration the wavelength has and 2.4ghz is equivelent to the 13cm ham band.This frequency can only run a certain amount of power as the waves are pretty dangerous and anything over a watt can cause damage.The main thing thats always bothered me is the fact that when ham operators use this frequency to say broadcast amatuer TV,the signal needs to be boosted by a lot,at 23cm around 1.3ghz,operators need dishes and line of sight as the signal can get disrupted with a leaf on a tree.I guess you can see were i'm coming from...

Now i'm wondering wether or not to go with 2.4ghz again but because of my wobblies,i'm also considering 40mhz with a dual conversion RX,this frequency in the UK is generally unused and the wavelength is still sufficient to penetrate most stuff including buildings and such things as the wavelength only gets weak at around 70cm or 430mhz.The radios i'm considering between are the Spektrum DX3.0,Acoms Technisport 2.4ghz and the Hitec CRX Aggressor or even the Eclipse Pro Car which is sticks I know but I can use both wheel and stick without any issues as I raced boats for 8 yrs...

Does any of you guys have any comments or have experienced the pros and cons of both the DSM and crystal 40mhz sets..?? I just want a decent,well specced radio that will perform with my Baja SS.Any tips or help appreciated as i'm intending to order today...

Cheers everyone,Mr Terminator,,,Carl...
Old 08-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What radio system...??

All the radio issues I ever had were immediately solved when I went to DSM, I have nothing but praise for my Futaba 3pk with spektrum pro module, EXCEPT, it glitches when I'm 1m or closer to the model, which is hardly a major issue. Apart from that, it's been flawless. Going back to 40Mhz would be a huge step backward in my opinion.

The best 2.4 radio in that price range is hands down the Futaba 3PM FASST. $200 from amainhobbies. A bit more if you buy it in blighty.

As a demonstration of the Futaba system's superiority, consider this...

The boat guys who switched to spektrum, had nothing but problems, as the Spektrum 2.4ghz signal is reflected by smooth water. The FASST has no such problem, I have no idea why, but it's widely known on the boat forums that spektrum is the inferior DSM. I never had an issue with it myself in cars, and if I didn't have like 5 spektrum receivers, I would buy the FASST module for the 3PK, but that's just too many receivers to lose money on. Until I'm rich, I'll stick with spektrum, much as I would like to change over to FASST.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Mr Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What radio system...??

Got my new radio,had to get this just to try it,I went and got the Acoms Technisport 2.4ghz Hayabusa system,for £56GBP they're a bargain,set up and binding was straight forward and it works flawlessly,range is around 300m and thats more than enough for anyone unless your in the desert.It has a built in failsafe for both signal loss and low voltage and the RX is minute,10 model memory and everything needed like ATV,servo reverse,Steering D/R and has a decent screen to read the info from.All in all,a good budget 2.4ghz system with low battery warning alarm too...