Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Firehammer MT Pinion Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM
PedeBeater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehammer MT Pinion Problem

I have stripped multiple pinion gears in my firehammer mt/XTM Grizzly. I was wondering if there was a better replacement? I hae read in parts descriptions that it is metal construction, so I'm guessing its not hardened steel...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPMS5&P=7

Thank you for all the help.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:25 PM
brent1972indy

Default RE: Firehammer MT Pinion Problem

I use the metal one you have listed with the stock plastic spur and have never had a problem with the pinion. My spur strips occasionally but that is the point of keeping it plastic to have it as the weak point and they are easy to replace. I keep 3-4 spurs and 1-2 spur gear holders on back-up at all times since they are so cheap. The metal pinion set screws have come loose on me a couple times but I learned to grind the bottom of the set screws flat before installing and using red tl. I do this with all set screws now and have no more issues.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:34 PM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Replacement steel for Firehammer

http://www.innovativehobby.com/index...OD&ProdID=1015
Old 09-01-2008, 08:18 PM
PedeBeater

I think I made a mistake. The gear that i am talking about is the metal gear that meshes with the diff, the one that mounts onto the top shaft. Not the plastic gears. Sorry for the confussion.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 PM
brent1972indy

ahhh...I think that is called the layshaft gear. You need to get alloy motor mounts to solve that gear stripping issue. As soon as I brought myself to pay 80-90 or so bucks for the large motor mount, I never had another diff. slippage/strippage again. The large alloy motor mount can only be purchased from here, http://www.rc-car-online.de/htstarteng.htm .Prepare to wait around 2 weeks for shipping from germany. You can use the duratrax blue alloy small motor mount.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:03 PM
davido666

You may want to take a close look at the motor mounts and the upper gear support that goes from the motor mount to the bulkhead. Also make sure you are setting the gear mesh. What I do is move the motor in tight with the diff gear then move it out a small amount. Now I am using the firehammer gear (DTXC8898) which is 16 teeth. You may want to give it a try. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHTV9&P=7
I used this gear because my chinese clone had this gear on it when I first bought it. It will give your MT a little more speed. The teeth look a little wider at the tip in the picture. I have not had any problems with this gear and I run in the sand and dirt alot. The gear is very hard steel. The only reason I changed the gear is because one of the grub screws was stripped. Replacing the plastic motor mount is a good idea. I have not found one yet but one day I will replace it.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:55 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

If you look here @ FG hopup they have a steel pinion for the FH, and they work great... I had them on my firehammers...
http://www.fg-hopups.com/photo_album.html
Old 09-02-2008, 04:02 PM
PedeBeater

What all has to be done to install the 16 tooth gear? I think it would fix the mesh seeing how it has more teeth.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM
davido666

ORIGINAL: PedeBeater

What all has to be done to install the 16 tooth gear? I think it would fix the mesh seeing how it has more teeth.
Just remove the old one from the shaft and use some blue loctite on the grub screws and move the engine to set the correct gear mesh and you are done. It's that simple. Nothing special has to be done.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:56 PM
PedeBeater

Oh okay, thanks. I will do that.