Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Proline shorty reed cylinder kit VS oneils bolt on reed kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Proline shorty reed cylinder kit VS oneils bolt on reed kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:32 PM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proline shorty reed cylinder kit VS oneils bolt on reed kit

im considering getting this kit for my second baja , rather having to forkout another $319 for a TS case like on my first baja5b , is anyone running either of these bolt on kits or seen one running , i like the idea of the oneils straight forward bolt on rather than tapping into the crankcase for the proline kit . oneils is cheaper $99 in stock , proline shorty reed kit is $119 out of stock .

first pic is prolines , next two is oneils
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88331.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1042056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76855.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1042057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24181.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1042058  
Old 09-27-2008, 10:41 PM
TEAM NUTECH
Banned

Default RE: Proline shorty reed cylinder kit VS oneils bolt on reed kit

DO YOU HAVE PHOTO ?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:05 AM
kidd

i'd like to hear from people that have them too.
went to the oneille sight the other day put one in my cart. thought maybe there might be something else i need, didn't find anything. and figured i'd save my money.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:23 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

if i remembered right the taping the crankcase eliminated the need to window the piston on a cylinder reed kit, there are loads of older threads on them...cylinder reeds just usually aren't noted for producing alot of power, they supposedly clean up the bottom end alot though
Old 09-29-2008, 02:31 AM
splcrazy

hmm didnt realize there was a few threads already on this subject . LOL CRAM it im buying another TS reed crankcase for $319
Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 PM
mooman007uk

I've got the bolt on oneills reed, 28.5cc with stuffed crank, ported case and reed ported head with 668A walbro and jetpro V2 on my FG baja and it flies, however I don't have the bottom end that I had with the reed on the 28.5 race ported head i had before without the windowed piston??? strange but true.
I'm seriously considering a TS case for my next motor build, i know from my dirtbike tinkering days that crankcase reed induction is the best way to make big power thru the whole rev range...much more bottom end than i'm getting now I reckon + top end power.
I still rate the oneills kit pretty high as it does give good power for the price though I'd say you have to have a ported motor to go with it; just slapping it on a standard zen or cy ent gonna give you much, I tried it on a spare G260 I had and it was a waste of time.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:19 AM
splcrazy

with the TS case i have in my first baja5b with a espported36mm head +2mm crank it has heaps of bottom with crazy topend , and when lol TRYING to driving it in a straight line it goes normal then half way sounds like turbo kicking in and it just takes off
Old 10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
mooman007uk

that's what I wanted to hear, my xmas present to myself this year is going to have to be a TS case, new crank and TS reed ported head, a $600 motor but I don't think there's anything out there that will make more power...and as everyone knows you can't have too much power[>:]
Old 10-02-2008, 02:29 AM
splcrazy

You know with the ESP ported heads i was reading more about them and all it is , ESP only machines the 2mm space thats it , then DDM raceports them , and its a chung yang GP 290 36mm head thats worth $55 . Now you can buy a CY GP290 headkit thats raceported for $115 but it has no 2mm spacing for the +2mm stuffed crank so you need to add a 040 and 020 copper head gasket to compensate because the head isnt cut for a +2mm . CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG about that .[&:]

before putting on a 36mm esp ported head i used to run a 35mm cy ported head on it and the differance is that the 35mm screams with instant take off but does the same turbo take off midway , the 36mm esp ported thats on it now still screams but opens up even more with noticable and the sound you can even hear that the acceleration is higher with 36mm heads

I dont know what i should do with my second build but im considering buying the single GP290 36mm head for $55 and adding the gaskets then raceporting it my self to save money, but im even thinking using the 35mm cy ported heads on it and most of the 35mm heads are already machined with the +2mm spacing, either way 35mm or 36mm heads on a TS case is insane power and once you get a taste of power its just not the same again & you will never go back to using stock , the american dollar $1.25 is killing me compared to our aussie dollar hovering around 79cents to 80 cents.