Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Cheap DIY Baja lights write up

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:30 AM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cheap DIY Baja lights write up

so here is my pic , i went out and bought some good quality led's and they cost more than i thought so much im embarrased to say how much lol , i found out that the longer side is the positive and the short is the negative . maybe in those led torches it made you think its the otherway around. and man is it frustrating to solder all those wires . The outer ring is all the positives and the inside bunch is all the negatives.

, 24 leds plus 10 red for the rear . ive got my motor build to do now and then i rig up the lights maybe itll take me till 1am sat .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39606.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1048969  
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41 AM
turbodremz23
My Feedback: (16)

looks good...makes me want to go back and clean up my soldering job...you would think after 12yrs of soldering, i would do a good clean perfect job every time.. I have issues..

Looks really good though..good luck with the build..I'm going the opposite...lights, then GP290..
Old 10-15-2008, 02:05 PM
turbodremz23

got more of my order in today!! 100 Ultra White LED's..still waiting for the yellow to come in from Japan.

Now I need to find some baja light pods.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:27 PM
splcrazy

My wireing up work was excellent and tested it on a flat 6v and it was good but when i charged the batt and connected it up again i burned all the led's lol so i wasted my time and money lol . What i think it needs is a voltage regulator to keep the volts at 4v constant , but use the 6volt batt
Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 AM
mbe301

ORIGINAL: turbodremz23

thank you for the comments sir

the more discussion on the 4.8v VS. 6v I have to agree and say that it will be enough..but I'm also going to start working on some taillights, just not sure how they will be mounted, or how many led's there will be. I am planning on having some of the taillights on constant, and the other half on when the throttle signal is in neutral/brake position...and thats where its going to get tricky I think, cause I dont want any of these lights running off the cars rx pack...

And on the note of your avatar, I was thinking of doing a set with some ultra bright green leds to go for the Monster logo..
For your break lights, just an idea. I was thinking of using a mercury switch (like from a home temperature controller, but longer) Once it's mounted at the right angle, the break lights should come on whenever the truck slows down. You would have to encase the switch in something like goop to protect it. No idea when I'll get a chance to try it though. Or you could make a simple contact switch that makes a connection when the servo moves( or brake rod, anything that moves when braking) Don't know if that makes sense, can't quite describe what I'm seeing in my head.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:06 PM
turbodremz23

I know exactly what you are saying..but not sure if I would want to play around with a mercury switch..I had thought about using a mirco contact switch to make contact with the servo when it reaches a certain point, just havent got the chance to sit down and mess with it.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen simple brake lite kits ..they have a micro switch for contact ..that truns the lite on..
nice projest you have..Maybe my firehammer needs light...AKA Slawhammer
Old 10-18-2008, 04:46 AM
nzkiwi1975

Night Driving, what fun,

Well I started to make some light after looking at post. As the nights get longer in the UK, its getting dark at 6pm ish soon to be 4/5ish pm. Need to do something to carry on running

I got my hands on some 5mm Cool White 20' Led 25,000 Mcd.. to the 8 out side light very bright. With 4No. Blue 12,000 Mcd Wide Angled Led 60' to the centre 4. looks great.

Just working on resistors to run 6v batt, dropping it to 4v to front lights & 2v to rear lights.

Now working on the rear light, bank of reds to light up the rear so I can see truck running away from me.

Will see if I can get vid of night drive.

Later...

Name:	Ec89378.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1054114  
Old 10-18-2008, 11:54 AM
turbodremz23

very nice..are you going to do the rear light continuous? or use them as brake ligths?

keep us posted on the progress, it looks really good
Old 10-19-2008, 04:02 AM
nzkiwi1975

yip just going to run the rear's continuous, if they are set to just come on when the brakes come on i would be about to see it very well when running away form me.

will post pic's when finished.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:03 AM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You coud run duel rear lights..1 for on all the time and the other for brakes...Looking good my friend..AKA Skawhammer
Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
nzkiwi1975

Ok heres the rear lights.

still thinking of brake setup,

Name:	Hf10170.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1056929  
Old 10-22-2008, 12:15 PM
turbodremz23

looks really good. I like that alot...

But, I will not be continuing my project..I'm selling my KM soon, once the new chassis comes in, and getting out of the hobby..time to start modding my 1:1 ..now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with all these led's that I have laying around.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:09 PM
turbodremz23

Ok I havent posted in a while, simply cause I have pretty much left the hobby, and all I have left is an old TT-01.

But I got an pm from a member asking how I wired in the 4 center LED's to the pods, and if I used a circuit board. Well there was no circuit board involved, just the leads on the LED's and solder with 2 wires for + and -. When I added the additional 4 LED's, I simply cut and rearranged the leads to continue the circuit including the 4 new led's.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
traxxas_guru

very nice man, a lot cheaper than my light setup and works just as good!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:39 PM
balloons

Wireing diagram of lights i am busy building for my baja 5b.

Name:	Om31989.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1648053