Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

“Smartech Titan” Vs. “Redcat Rampage”

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

“Smartech Titan” Vs. “Redcat Rampage”

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:16 AM
tom111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default “Smartech Titan” Vs. “Redcat Rampage”

Hi,

I am interested in buying the “Smartech Titan” or the “Redcat Rampage”, I know that both of them are low range 1:5 scale 4WD cars, is there a much difference between them from quality perspective? Durability of the car & parts? Behavior?

I will be grateful to get any recommendations on what to get.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-26-2008, 02:57 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: “Smartech Titan” Vs. “Redcat Rampage”

I'd check out the Hurricane C5, it's a somewhat better version of the Titan. I'd take it over those 2.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:10 PM
kidd

i would not buy the rampage the tires are heavy check out the buggy version.
there is a buggy version of the titan too.
good luck.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:31 PM
NitroBurn1

The Rampage is a good truck/buggy after all the weak links are fixed. Rampagehopups has a buggy version with all the upgrades to make it a good 1/5 scale. I bought my Rampage MT when they first came out. It was not the best out of the box, but after fixing the shocks and installing a 29cc head kit it is now pretty good. I'm going to turn my MT into a trophy truck as soon as the new Proline 5b wheels/tires and TGN pipe are available.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:13 PM
migurami23

I have the Hurricane C-5, in my opinion it's a better truck than the Rampage. The Rampage is good, but in the long run, you will spend more money to get it up to standards like the Hurricane performances. I have been racing and bashing my Hurricane for 25+ tanks and it has finished all the races completely stocked. When I mean stock I mean stock. That’s just my opinion, spend a little more on the Hurricane C-5 and you definitely have more fun and you will not have to worry about being on the bench and working on your truck. If you’re going to get the Rampage or the Titan, get the Hurricane C-5. You definitely pay for what you get. Believe me you will be happy with it. There is not that many vehicles’ that you can bash with on a Friday night, and go racing on a Saturday with like the Hurricane. I hope this helps you with your decision. What ever car you get, if its a 5th scale you will be happy with.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 PM
tom111

Thanks for all the advices, as far as upgrades you can upgrade both cars & install many hopups, the hurricane is an upgraded version of the titan & cost more, basically I would like to know regarding the basic versions if they are both reliable & durable in the same way? Does spare parts available for both of them?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:42 PM
tom111

Does the front knuckles on the Rampage are also made out of aluminum as in the Titan? & the gears are they metal or plastic?

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:04 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

The basic Redcat has plastic knuckles as well as plastic gears.

You can compare the Smartech Titan vs the Redcat Rampage or the VSModelsport Hurricane versus the RampageHopUps Rampage RS version. You can't compare the Hurricane to the basic Rampage, the price and option parts are way different.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:41 PM
tom111

Hi Guys,

Between the 2 basic versions (not the Huriccan or other upgraded versions) of the Titan Vs. Rampage (considering the Rampge has the same engine as the Titan 28.5cc), what would you choose? I am looking mainly on the durability of the cars \ parts, haneling in technical area, reliability etc, any arguments \ explanations will be much apprichiated!

What are the advantages \ disadvanteges of each one of them?

Thank you,
Tom
Old 11-06-2008, 05:43 PM
kidd

before i bought my titan i ran 1/8 scale buggies and truggies because thier layout was the most durable. for years i knew that somebody was working on the same layout as the smaller 1/8. and finally smartech, who has been around for years. produced the titan.
it also goes by the name gasdevil in germany
Old 11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
tom111

Thanks, I saw the gasdevil at Hobeythek which I use to buy many parts for my FG MT, but is it really better than the Redcat Rampage? are you familiar with them both? I am looking for the one that will be more durable & will need less fixes & malfunctions, I know from my FG MT that that can be annoying - consume much time & money...

Old 11-06-2008, 07:40 PM
kidd

it's all steel gears three diffs that you control the the action with silicone good luck breaking a shock shaft some parts coss over to fg and the smartech models seven m6 screw holding the engine the fg 2wd is more expensive to make reliable than the titan
Old 11-07-2008, 07:50 AM
bajamaniac69

I would consider the Titan...as well .......Do you just use the silicone on the gears to keep them quiet????

Thanks

J
Old 11-07-2008, 01:05 PM
tom111

Have you encountered any aluminum pipe for the Smartech titan (beside the Jetpro pipe) I am looking for a replacement one like the Rampage has, something like that:

http://www.innovativehobby.com/index...OD&ProdID=1938

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM
kidd

i think a a higher quality bearing quiets the main pinion and spur
how abut something like what your fg has. here's mine with the roll cage kinda cut and pasted