Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

30cc Engine won't crank FS MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:41 AM
baryracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30cc Engine won't crank FS MT

I'm have a 4x4 FS MT with the stock 30cc motor thats only had about 3 tanks through it and im having trouble getting the thing running, took the spark plug out cranked motor checked for spark and although the spark seemed very small I thought it was ok, the plug looked dirty so decided to replace with new NGK plug.
At the same time I noticed with the pull starter off that the flywheel was very hard to turn like it was hitting on something so i took a closer look and went as far as removing it to see if its buckled or anything and it looks perfectly straight. Put it all back together and now its impossible to even crank it with the pull starter, before when it did crank it just wouldn't fire.
Is it possible its something broken inside the engine? I've heard stories of these things lasting 30 tanks or only 3 tanks, therefore I was looking at replacing with a CY when it died but was hoping for a bit more runtime as i'd only just got the truck [&o] So anyways its the long weekend and its sitting in the garage in pieces.... any ideas or help appreciated.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:47 AM
mcspanners

Default RE: 30cc Engine won't crank FS MT

Hi there, sounds like an internal failure to me, mine only lasted 20 minutes before it pooped itself, same symptoms as yours, maybe you could change it for a 27 zenoah 4 bolt.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:12 AM
baryracing

did u ever tear it down to see what broke? I'm really spewing its just my luck when just the other day I was reading another guys post something like about 35 tanks through it and thrashed the hell out of it in the arizona desert before it broke....
I haven't yet decided on a replacement im looking for suggestions I think most of the guys that done upgrades went with the Zenoah, have you done that yourself? and do you know if the stock tuned pipe will bolt directly to this engine?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:14 AM
splcrazy

tell me , the last time you switched the engine off was it running ok then you put it away and didnt use it for a long time , and just now when you wanted to have a go it wouldnt turn back on, is that what happened ?

Check to see if the bolts on the coil hasnt come loose , if that happens the coil moves down jamming on the flywheel making it hard to pull the starter .

it might have have just gone dry in the cylinder pour some premix fuel in the plug hole , or some straight 2stroke oil and pull the cord

if it still doesnt start , prime the bulb a few times and trigger the throttle open and close a few times and try to start .

also try holding the trigger throttle making the carb flap fully open then at the same time pull the cord a few times , let go of the trigger on the transmitter and try pulling the cord again to start her up ..

if all that doesnt work i would take the cylinder off and inspect the piston ring , ring might have got jammed in the groove and wont start , when that happens it feels like it will have plenty of compression but will never start cos the ring could be jammed in the piston ring groove
Old 11-02-2008, 05:22 AM
mcspanners

yeah a pin washer came off and smashed up the piston into a million pieces, i replaced my engine with a G260RC zenoah and it goes hard!! stock fs pipe will bolt straight up.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:27 AM
baryracing

it actually cut out on the last run and wouldn't start straight after, it wasn't jammed at first it cranked over as normal but just wouldnt fire.
I left it as it was late afternoon and decided to deal with it the next day, it cranked over again but once again wouldnt fire, it was after several pulls of the cord it became jammed, I tried some oil after which it spluttered a couple of times ran for about 5 seconds then died. Now its jammed again, its not the coil or flywheel so it leads me to beleive its some sort of internal failure.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:41 AM
splcrazy

yeah what i would do is pull the topend off and check the piston and ring for damage and see if the cylinder walls has scoring line marks , second option i would check the carb , but its rare for carb failure . check the topend first , one ya unbolt it and see what going on in there you will know forsure whats happened
Old 11-04-2008, 05:56 AM
baryracing

Pulled the head off today and sure enough theres a big crack and a large chunk missing from the side of the piston, both the pins are in place and the ring looks fine so not sure how the damage happened, theres lots of little chunks of metal in the bottom end too.... Now does anyone know where I can get zenoah 270RC? Powerslide looks as tho they are sold out.
Im preferably looking for somewhere in Aussie or NZ coz the US $$$ is pretty bad right now...