Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Are fg/elcon front alloy arms tough enough and worth the cash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Are fg/elcon front alloy arms tough enough and worth the cash

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM
mooman007uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are fg/elcon front alloy arms tough enough and worth the cash

or waste of money. Looking at a complete elcon front end for my baja
Don't want to drop some severe coin and have them bend up after some barrel rolls. I guess if I spank straight into something they're gonna bend, how much abuse do they take. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are fg/elcon front alloy arms tough enough and worth the cash

As i have heard and experienced the Elcon parts are good quality,but i havent tried the control arms and similar.Still,i will always use plastic control arms,i have to be sure that something will brake,thats why i wont use alloy arms.There must be a weak link somewhere so you dont brake "the whole chain",but the weakest link in it instead.It surely looks good with all the alloy,but it will be a bit more expencive crashes
Old 11-08-2008, 04:52 PM
mooman007uk

yeah I've been a plastic front end advocate since my nitro days but after getting my dps arms and seeing how meaty they are I'm wondering if the front alloy is gonna be just as chunky. The way i drive they won't be all shiny for long don't care for the bling factor just strength.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:34 PM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

If you want a good setup that's safe go for the aluminum Bulkheads, plastic arms and aluminum uprights. The Elcon stuff is great and if you want a unique colour get the krikke racing version parts. I found the Elcon parts to be less expensive that the FG alloy. Now if you go with the Elcon uprights keep in mind they use smaller bearings, so you abec bearings no longer fit. Advance sells all the FG parts in Toronto. ( I was just there today too! ) The plastic arms are around $15 so replacements are pretty cheap.

Also the aluminum arms are ex*****ve due to the special bearings being used.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:42 PM
rcuser003
My Feedback: (11)

Elcon make great parts, but as everything else alloy will end or brake. It is a lot stronger and better designed so it will last longer, but if you slam into a wall you may brake something depending on the angle. More than likely you will simply just bend the chassis.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:33 PM
mooman007uk

ORIGINAL: SELWA

If you want a good setup that's safe go for the aluminum Bulkheads, plastic arms and aluminum uprights. The Elcon stuff is great and if you want a unique colour get the krikke racing version parts. I found the Elcon parts to be less expensive that the FG alloy. Now if you go with the Elcon uprights keep in mind they use smaller bearings, so you abec bearings no longer fit. Advance sells all the FG parts in Toronto. ( I was just there today too! ) The plastic arms are around $15 so replacements are pretty cheap.

Also the aluminum arms are ex*****ve due to the special bearings being used.
I've got the FG uprights and will probably use those, bigger bearings are better in my opinion but what I'm looking comes complete as in the picture, bearings and all...I'm still in two minds might just go the bulkhead route but then again......
Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Bratch96

Plastic is the way to go for arms. Plastic flexes, and that's a good thing. Once alloy bends.............good luck straightening it back out.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:51 AM
mooman007uk

ORIGINAL: Bratch96

Plastic is the way to go for arms. Plastic flexes, and that's a good thing. Once alloy bends.............good luck straightening it back out.
Yeah you're right, I think I'll just get the bulkheads and keep the plastic arms, from past experience I know I'll end up spanking into something and bending a few hundred bucks worth of aluminum then I'd be well miffed[sm=cry_smile.gif], money's better spent on other parts or saved for my next vehicle.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Bratch96

Yeah, alloy is a must in some places and a no no in other. Seriously, have you ever tried to bend alloy with your hands. I have, it doesn't bend.