Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Belt Driven 4WD FG's

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
C-Mack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Driven 4WD FG's

Hello all,

Any testimonials on how good or bad the belt drive is on the new competition 4WD by FG? Does the belt stay aligned well, any wear and tear any issues at all? Please post all your thoughts and experiences
Old 11-11-2008, 03:51 PM
rcuser003
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Belt Driven 4WD FG's

From all that I have seen no one has problems with the belt so far.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:35 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

I've seen one build in Toronto and it looks sweet!! Better that the pics you see for sure!

For your reading pleasure with loads of pics:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 11-14-2008, 10:53 PM
pwaicon

ORIGINAL: C-Mack

Hello all,

Any testimonials on how good or bad the belt drive is on the new competition 4WD by FG? Does the belt stay aligned well, any wear and tear any issues at all? Please post all your thoughts and experiences
All I can say is don’t be afraid of the belt system on the FG’s. I have put 7 tanks through mine and the belt has shown no signs of wear. As for the alignment issues, there are none. FG did their homework on this set up and I say they got it right. If you are thinking about buying one and the belt drive system is holding you back all I can say is don’t let it. Before I bought mine, my biggest concern was the durability of the belt and now I can honestly say I do not have those concerns anymore. Of course now that I have said that watch something happen.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Speaking of belts for FGs, when is FG going to sell just teh belt drivetrain as an upgrade for existing 2WD FGs?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:39 PM
DarkSoul Racing

I don't think there is much of a point, you would have to change so much, you might be maybe a few hundred bucks of buying a whole complete kit.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:58 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Do you think FG would seel those specific components to convert 2WD FGs to belt 4WD?

I kow FG Modellsport is not huge like Traxxas or HPI, so they dont necessarily sell too much in individual pars, but would they sell the individual pieces like a company would for fixing a broken part?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:09 PM
mooman007uk

Fg sell all the 4x4 parts seperate but as darksoul said very expensive to do, the front diff housing alone is $500 nearly.
In time I'm sure they'll sell a conversion kit but again it wont be cheap unless they do diff housings in plastic.
Fg is bigger than you might think, they've been in europe since 1991 expanding all the time.
They also manufacture all of their own parts at their factory in Germany, nothin in Taiwan or China etc and they have every spare part from every car + hundreds of hop up parts. Check out [link]http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lshop,showrub,16911,e,1205605033-16911,fg,,,,.htm[/link] this store has every FG part in stock.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:08 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Something else I just though of about 4WD: in my experience with nitro 8th scale 4WD, when I jump, 4WD gives you twice as much nose pitch control than 2WD.

The reason is because you have twice as much moment of inertia with 4WD over 2WD; that moment of inertia can therefore pitch teh nose up and down twice as fast so you can gauranty a landing on all 4 wheels, not on just 2, thus reducing stress on the 2 wheels and suspensions.

Now, I kno that 8th scale nito trucks have a much larger wheel size to chassis ratio than 5th scale, and gas engiens cannot accelerate through the RPM range like nitro can to accelreate the wheel mass, but having twice as much attitude control of teh RC in mid-flight on a jump even on a 5th scale is something I defintely want.