Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Gas coming out of carb after run?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Gas coming out of carb after run?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:46 PM
naynay12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas coming out of carb after run?

Hiall,well my hoemade rc car with a 26cc whipper snipper engine had it first tank of fuel.Once it stalled and i let it sit, their is quite a few drops of fuel coming out of the carb/air intake.I am wondering why is this happening?
Also the engine was running well i was nopt going more then 3/4 throttle,ran it for about 15 mins atleast, and if i let it idle after about 10-30 seconds it would shut down.Is this becuase it is rich? What i have done is put the idle higher by the throttle trim so that it does not stall. Also the carb only has one adjustment needle.Also you might want to know that the fuel tank is under 2 inches behind the muffler,and it is covered in black,oil/smoke.
So why is fuel coming out of the carb?
Thanks please reply ,I want to fire it up again soon !
Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 AM
pilotjohn

Default RE: Gas coming out of carb after run?

Is the tank mounted higher then the carb?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:29 AM
naynay12

Yes,the tank is mounted a bit higher then the carb,why?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:56 AM
mooman007uk

Fuel is syphoning down from the tank and flooding your carb. Tank needs to be lower than the carb inlet.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:01 AM
pilotjohn

What he said ^^^
Old 11-15-2008, 04:50 AM
naynay12

Ok,is their anyway to do it without lowering the tank since that is basically impossible.Could i possibly re-route the fuel line?
Here is a pic of it now,their is no fuel the the pressure exhaust line since i took it off and blew through it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38495.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1072455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93954.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1072456  
Old 11-15-2008, 06:50 AM
wan6176

Put a fuel COCK to stop the fuel from flowing.when u need to play turn on the fuel cock like motorcycle.hope it helps//
Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 AM
bsrman14
Banned

Where you have the tank is fine. Higher or lower no difference. The problem is in the carb. A bad gasket or air leak somewhere around the carb is the problem. The other problem is the throttle linkage you never set it up as I sugested.[]

Originator of the $250 1/4 scale buggy.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:38 AM
mooman007uk

thinking about it without a head full of beer....mmmmmmmmmmbeer.... bsrman14 is totally correct, the tank height will make no difference ... motor cycle tanks are always above the carb and the only time they leak is when the carb itself leaks due to bad gaskets or cracked body(or incorrectly set floats but we don't have em in our 1/5 carbs). Looks like you'll have to pull the carb and inspect it. If it's only got one adjustment screw maybe you should replace it with a 668 walbro, you may need the plastic manifold as well.

Is that a homelite weed wacker?? I bought a new homelite weedwacker this year that leaked at the carb after having it for about a month, POS ...I tried fixing it but nothing i could do worked, it wouldn't stop leaking so i took it back.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 PM
naynay12

Ok,just want you guys to know that the fuel is not leaking out of the gasket or anything...It is leaking out of the air intake.
,so i don't think it's a leak or bad gasket...Bsr man what would the throttle linkage have to do with this problem?
Also its not a homelite engine,it's a little bit more expeensive them then
Old 11-15-2008, 07:40 PM
MadManAndrew

the first posts are right, your fuel is syphoning out of the tank flooding ur carb and then leaking out the air intake, just put a clamp on the fuel line or put in a valve and clamp it closed/shut the valve when it's not running...
Old 11-16-2008, 03:35 AM
jpilkinton

Was it leaking fuel before you whacked the engine off the wacker? I find it very hard to believe that the gas is siphoning out of the tank. You would have to have some kind of pressure on the return line. I have a test stand that I built for my pocket bike engines(which are just like weed wacker engines) and I have the fuel tank well above the engine and never had any fuel leak out of the carb/air intake when the engine is not running. One fuel line is for the delivery of the fuel and the other line is the return line from the priming bulb. Sounds like a carb problem. I would take the carb apart and check the diaphram and needles. Seeing as you having problems with the idle also makes me think you have a carb problem. I can let all of my 2 strokes idle all day long as long as they have gas in the tank.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:47 AM
naynay12

Hmmm,i just can't see how raw fuel can come out of the carb intake,if it came through the gasket then it would be a leak,but its not.I think fuel is syphoning,sinc ewhen i sut it off their was fuel in the pressure line.Also look at the pictur of the fuel tank further up,and the black gasket thing that the two fuel lines go into the pressure/return line,was around half an inch into the tank,which means it coulf of been easier for it to suck up fuel,does that line have to be just in the tank no further down?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 AM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: naynay12

Hmmm,i just can't see how raw fuel can come out of the carb intake,if it came through the gasket then it would be a leak,but its not.I think fuel is syphoning,sinc ewhen i sut it off their was fuel in the pressure line.Also look at the pictur of the fuel tank further up,and the black gasket thing that the two fuel lines go into the pressure/return line,was around half an inch into the tank,which means it coulf of been easier for it to suck up fuel,does that line have to be just in the tank no further down?
Yes, the fuel line that goes to the bottom of the tank(with the clunker filter) should go to the carb inlet. The return line should just protrude through the rubber do-nut, maybe 1/2" inside tank. That is just a return line so the unused fuel will return to the tank when priming. If that return line is actually sitting below the fuel level, that would be a problem.
I just replaced my fuel line on my chainsaw last week and the fuel tank setup is just like yours. When I would prime the engine, gas came pouring out of the housing. My return line for the priming bulb was cracked and broken off. You just need enough line sticking in the tank so that it won't leak fuel out when priming.