RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Cheap 1/5 that can be later on hopped up?

Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 AM
naynay12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cheap 1/5 that can be later on hopped up?

Seeing that i sont want to spend 1000+on my first 1/5 rc im wanting to know if i could pick up a cheap 1/5 scale and later on do a conversion so it turns into a different truck?Ca the smartech traveller be modified with bgger wheels etc?So what kind of vehicles can be later on hopped up into a different type of car?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:57 AM
looker2756

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Cheap 1/5 that can be later on hopped up?

Your better off to save & buy a decent model now. Upgrading a lesser model later will, cost as much as buying the better one now & you will still have a lesser model. The Rampage is my suggestion if you plan on getting an entry level vehicle & up-grading from there.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 AM
bsrman14
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All these cheap RTR today are convertable. They all use the same platform. That keeps the price down.

Originator of the cheap $250 1/4 scale bugget buggy.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:51 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: naynay12

Seeing that i sont want to spend 1000+on my first 1/5 rc im wanting to know if i could pick up a cheap 1/5 scale and later on do a conversion so it turns into a different truck?Ca the smartech traveller be modified with bgger wheels etc?So what kind of vehicles can be later on hopped up into a different type of car?
The engines for sure are interchangable with higher grade ones. If you go with Smartech (I think also Nutech is teh same), make sure you have at least a CY engine. Anything less, and your RC will be sluggish.

Here is a vid of a Smartech/Duratrax Firehammer with stock engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3k075zI4eA

I hate to say that my chain saw revs faster while under load.

If you aer familiar with nitro engines, this is a somewhat approximate comparison can make about RC 5th scale gas engines:
The CY is like the chinese/taiwanese SH(GoldenLion) engines. The Zenoah is like the Japanese OS. The clones of the Zen & CY, well, leave some to be desired, but you can at least unbolt those and put in a better CY or Zen.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:00 PM
jimjeep

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would say that you're right on track with the Smartech Traveller (Duratrax Firehammer, Shen-QI, Carson, etc...) it can be upgraded with all kinds of parts which are made for these models and several other parts made for or by FG Modellsport, H.A.R.M., Lauterbacher, Hormann, Technokit, etc... Don't worry about bodies and tires, these models allow for changes in gearing and body mounting so changing between buggy, stadium (truggy), or monster models will be possible with almost all makes of largescale model (below 1/4 scale). If your Local Hobby Shop carries any parts or can readily order them for you, then you may want to consider getting something that you can get some parts for easily and not have to pay shipping and wait for them to arrive. In my honest opinion, for the beginner on a budget the Smartech (and sister cars by the names above) cannot be beat for the quality, price, and cross-compatibility for parts amongst other models. Just remember that the lower cost models may need a bit more upgrades and all of them do, so there will be a few additional costs along the road to consider. Just read through the other threads in here and you will find a wealth of knowledge that will help you greatly. If you can get a model without a radio system do that and buy a quality radio (like a Spektrum), if not you will probably need new servos in short order, and ALWAYS use a failsafe! Good Luck with whichever model you happen to choose you will love the gassers (my nitros and electrics just collect dust anymore) and welcome to largescale RC. [8D]
Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jimjeep

I would say that you're right on track with the Smartech Traveller (Duratrax Firehammer, Shen-QI, Carson, etc...) it can be upgraded with all kinds of parts which are made for these models and several other parts made for or by FG Modellsport, H.A.R.M., Lauterbacher, Hormann, Technokit, etc... Don't worry about bodies and tires, these models allow for changes in gearing and body mounting so changing between buggy, stadium (truggy), or monster models will be possible with almost all makes of largescale model (below 1/4 scale). If your Local Hobby Shop carries any parts or can readily order them for you, then you may want to consider getting something that you can get some parts for easily and not have to pay shipping and wait for them to arrive. In my honest opinion, for the beginner on a budget the Smartech (and sister cars by the names above) cannot be beat for the quality, price, and cross-compatibility for parts amongst other models. Just remember that the lower cost models may need a bit more upgrades and all of them do, so there will be a few additional costs along the road to consider. Just read through the other threads in here and you will find a wealth of knowledge that will help you greatly. If you can get a model without a radio system do that and buy a quality radio (like a Spektrum), if not you will probably need new servos in short order, and ALWAYS use a failsafe! Good Luck with whichever model you happen to choose you will love the gassers (my nitros and electrics just collect dust anymore) and welcome to largescale RC. [8D]
Very well said JimJeep
Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Bratch96

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ultimately, do you want a buggy or a monster truck?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 PM
naynay12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would want a buggy that looks good,something like the baja.For some reason i dont really like the looks of the smartech traveller,if it looked like the baja 5b i would jump on it.
As long as it is not to bi,and has ok handling i am satisfied.
What is the duratrax firehammer MT a clown of? What engine does it have stock?
And what FG car is the traveller a clown of?What engine does it have in it stock?
The smartech traveller is nice and cheap,but i really dont like the look of the body and tires?Is their and other different shaped bodies for it later one?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is virtually a 100% clone of the FG Baja buggy. Most, if not all, FG parts will fit it. But let me warn you, FG parts are not cheap. You can easily drop well more than $800 in buying FG parts to put onto this RC.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 PM
hellya

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is a firehammer that I converted to a Monster

You can get the smartech traveller which is the same as the firehammer for about $350-400 add your own radio system

look on ebay.... 1/5 buggy search

[img][/img]

You can get the traveller which is the same as the firehammer for about $350-400 add your own radio system
Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 PM
naynay12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok now thats what im talking about.
Howmuch did it cost you to convert it ?
Also i know this is a basic question but what type of car exactly did you convert it to?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 AM
jimjeep

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Duratrax, Carson,and Shen-QI are all the same as the Smartech and they are all clones of the FG Marder Buggy. All the buggy bodies for these models have that kinda box-like look with the blunted nose up front. If you like the look of the HPI Baja-5B you might want to wait and save a little more for it, or think about using the body and cage from an FG Baja Buggy on a Smartech buggy. Just remember as SAVAGEJIM pointed out FG parts are not cheap and neither are the bodies for them, although I will say they are made out of some great material and can take a serious beating.

You also might want to check out the buggy from FS Racing (big thread on this one here). A little tip if you choose the HPI either get the SS kit or if you want an RTR then I would get the BAJA-5T stadium truck and convert it to the buggy if you want. The new 5T truck comes with most all the hop-ups of the SS model in a factory RTR at a nice price. There is also a clone of the HPI Baja from a company called King Motors you may want to consider (there is a huge thread about it in here that you should read first). Last but not least, a used car might also be another option as long as it doesent seem too beat-up just be sure to factor in the cost of replacing any items that may be worn out like bearings, shock shafts and seals, clutch, and possibly cylinder/piston or engine if you can't see it run. You might want to check out the marketplace here at RCU and check around your local area as well.

Also, see what your friends are running and remember although it's cool to have a different car than the rest of the bunch, when you need a part chances are one of the other guys may not have one that will fit a different car than theirs. If you get the Smartech (or similar type buggy) be sure to get an HPI BAJA-5B spoiler wing for it as these are made out of a tough nylon that is very hard to break. The other buggys wings are made out of a hard plastic that breaks rather easily (believe me I have a few FGs and the HPI wing is the greatest (it drops right on and I haven't broken it yet)).

Do a little homework reading around the forum, check out a few manufacturers websites, and your decision should come to you.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:08 AM
hellya

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: naynay12

Ok now thats what im talking about.
Howmuch did it cost you to convert it ?
Also i know this is a basic question but what type of car exactly did you convert it to?
I bought the firehammer for $400 ......I became a FG dealer for a year.....so all my alloy was $6-700 normally $1100-1200 for alloy

looks like a monster buggy......a buggy with monster tires and I used FG alloy on the Hammer

Then add some other tires and you have a baja buggy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65417.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1086511  
Old 12-09-2008, 12:39 AM
jimjeep

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey hellya, thats a mighty fine lookin buggy!

A great example of what someone can do taking a basic model and building it up a few pieces at a time. That's the way I did it with my cars!

Hey, where's the pipe?

Are those CVD's I spy on there and if so where can I find them?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 PM
hellya

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

pipe? we dont need no stinkin pipe now its a marder

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43474.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1086864  
Old 12-09-2008, 09:17 PM
naynay12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What is more fun to drive on all round,the baja clone,duaratrax firehammer MT or smartech traveller?
Edit:I meant firhammer MT not firehammer.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:14 PM
looker2756

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Firehammer & the Traveller are the same. All of those you mention are fun to drive, the question is ... Stock how long you drive it before you have issues. Don't get me wrong All largescale cars can have problems, but everyone here should admit the clones for the most part are made of weaker materials. If up-graded to a 2500$ monster like hellya showed, it's actually a completely different vehicle. Not to mention a shelf queen. Very nice looking one at that ! What you plan on doing with the vehicle has alot to do with it as well. The stocker plastics are lighter & when attempting to go fast & handle well, lighter is better. With HPI priced like they are & everyone knowing the quality & product service. I still say it's worth saving the extra couple hun & buy a good one you know you can trust & get parts for.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 PM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Buy anything standard and it has weak spots unless you buy all alloy big buck competition versions ( when you get it wrong and spank into something you will still have to repair these for big bucks), buy within your budget but expect to sink some dough into upgrades pretty quick and expect also that parts are going to break according to your driving style and or abilities. nothing is bulletproof but money goes along way in this hobby to getting sorta close.
Good thing about firehammer and associated clones is that alot of fg aftermarket stuff fits as does mcd parts with FS and baja clones and HPI baja bits.
the choice is growing everyday which is great for the hobby but makes it tougher to decide on your first ride.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:04 PM
carty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hobbypro mutilator buggy or Hobbypro superchief mt, cheap as chips and comes rtr with a cy 23cc engine, add an alloy upgrade diff and spur carrier and away you go. Thats what i did and ive been smiling since.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:19 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you should go for the kingmotor baja. i got one and i can't tell the difference between it and the real baja when they are side-by-side. it's only $380 on fleabay right now and shipping only took a week and a half. it's just like the real hpi baja and they can take a good beating like a real baja. there's a guy at my LHS who's had the kingmotor baja since June and it's niiiice. His km baja is the reason i went ahead and ordered one for myself. i also got a pipe just like the DDM rear dominator from the same person for $45. he even combined shipping for me. i highly recommend the kingmotor baja if you don't want to spend $1000+

just be sure to get a failsafe. the stock radio is a FM and it's always good to have a failsafe.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:37 AM
naynay12

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yhe guys thanks for all the help and suggestions,i have done some research and am leaning towards the baja clone when the au dollar goes a bit higher so i can afford a baja from the us.
Scarletboa, the ddm pipe clone you got,does it make as noticable preformance increase compared to the original ddm pipe?
Old 12-11-2008, 03:57 PM
dambull

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you get a hobbypro mutilater in the USA? I found them in the UK but not US. Rob
Old 12-11-2008, 05:23 PM
bigscalebasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FS truck/car. they use the same platform so you can just change the suspension set up, wheels, and gearing, and have a different vehicle. my FS king kong has been a monster truck, a touring car, and now its a truggy. 3 cars in 1.
all for less than 800
Old 12-11-2008, 06:21 PM
carty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe you can get the Hobbypro in the U.S as alot of you guys have them, im sure someone will point you in the direction
Old 12-11-2008, 06:23 PM
carty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Double post, sorry,

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service