Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

DPS arms have arrived, FGbaja upgrade rebuild

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

DPS arms have arrived, FGbaja upgrade rebuild

Old 10-30-2008, 02:23 PM
mooman007uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPS arms have arrived, FGbaja upgrade rebuild

At last my dps arms have arrived, had to wait for a new batch to come in which took a couple of months but well worth the wait.
Now I can start rebuild number zillion or so it seems, with a bunch more goodies

here's the arms, don't think I'll ever bend these

and some other goodies, raised hubs, ball drives, alloy diff holders, upper arms and a 4plate adjustable diff that's already in the mail

as it stands right now

this is what the rear looked like before

just waiting on the diff, copper base gasket and ball drive shafts (shafts ordered nearly 4 weeks ago from bigboystoys)
I'll keep posting pics during the build.[8D]
Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DPS arms have arrived, FGbaja upgrade rebuild

Looks like some beef on those arms.....Your unit will be tricked out...
Looking good my friend..My firehammer is getting there....AkaSlawhammer
Old 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
pwaicon

Those arms look really good I think I need to get me a set. I want to see pictures when you’re all done. [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM
mooman007uk

[:@]it could only happen to me....my sweet new dps arms appear to have been machined wrong...I have 2degrees toe out instead of in.
let dps know and got a reply that maybe I'd put them in wrong, sent photos now waiting for a reply...
I can't believe it!

don't know how else to mount them other than backwards[]
Old 10-31-2008, 06:46 PM
mooman007uk

Email back from Kris at DPS today, bit of a machining error, new set on the way probably still get here before my drive shafts[]
Kinda at a standstill again
Old 10-31-2008, 07:20 PM
slawhammer

Good to get it sortaed out....when you pay good money for up grades you want to do...Yup I have gotten items from DPS..
But as for me I have to much money in my firehammer to make any changes..like moving up the ladder to FG..
best to you on your project..AKASlawhammer
Old 11-05-2008, 01:58 PM
mooman007uk

Things are moving again, got my 4 plate adjustable diff from the UK in 6 days!!! ebayed it from Ian Oddie himself, brand new unassembled for $110US with shipping retail at $300 bucks new....
got it all assembled, had to make a couple of 5mm diff raisers and ground alittle of the chassis down to clear the centre ring

put a new base gasket on the motor as the old one was leaking so shall mount the engine this afternoon....still waiting for the driveshafts from bigboystoys, someone at his post office can't read cos they sent one package before to the British virgin Islands instead of British Columbia[:@] it took 2 mths, I knew i shoulda got em from hobbythek.

replacement DPS arms should be sent out today, the whole batch they made were all machined wrong[] more waiting
Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM
dyna

Can you post dps site or phone# ?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 PM
mooman007uk

Here's the link, they're not set up for international purchases on the website so email Kris and he'll sort you out, don't have a ph #.
$154 + 20AU for the complete set awesome value compared to elcon which aren't one piece[link]http://www.danielspitstop.com.au/menuDetails.aspx?MID=52[/link]
Old 11-06-2008, 10:29 PM
mooman007uk

Base gaskets done motors in ,a few other bits are done...now as far as I can get without arms and the MIA ball drive shafts[]again I wait: part of being a N.American FG owner
Ordered a 813 carb today from oneill bros, an alloy shock tower is coming...placky one just isn't happening any more and am eyeing a complete elcon alloy front end...still a bit dubious about all alloy front end though from my nitro days when all I did was bend alloy parts[sm=punching.gif]any input as regards the durability of alloy in the front would be much appreciated.

I'm to the part of the build where i just want to get it done and get running and rip the snot out of it

edited due to carp spellin
Old 11-12-2008, 10:34 PM
mooman007uk

Update...waiting on (waiting, waiting, waiting) ball drive shafts had to order another set from advance hobbies cos the others might be a while[:@] 813 carb, rear alloy shock tower and replacement dps arms.
Also just ordered some pro5thscale alloy shocks, hpi sand paddles and ramtech adapters and am trying to find a store in Europe that has an rn fatpower s 6004 pipe that speaks english[&:] so can understand my emails...found one that looks to have one in stock but can't communicate....pants!
Come on mister postman....
Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 PM
slawhammer

Looks good my friend...like the looks of that 2spd...you will love that 813 carb..I use one on my firehammer..little picky to adjust at first..off by 1mm.. so take your time
there..once you get it dialed in..awsome...no choke ..so keep pulling ..it will start..watch for flooding out..has built in pump that shoots fuel in cyl....may have to open
throttle just a hair to start....Best to you..AKASlawhammer
Old 11-12-2008, 11:57 PM
mooman007uk

Thanks Roger, I'm just dying to get my parts and get it done...I know you've been in my position as you've been thru the whole upgrade-waiting for parts process yourself.
I'm just itching right now . i'll keep posting as it happens and then get some vid when it's done.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 AM
slawhammer

Yes My friend I do know the waiting game all to well..I am sure you read my thread and found I have been waiting for parts..
Yeah guess what..I am now waiting on a new radio system.....so never ending process this game....I have spent more time waiting than
running time...For me I have ran maybe 1 gal fuel in the last 5 months of trying to run but kept breaking down..so decided to rebuild my
RC Unit..Now many dollars later..90% done..yes have gotten to run it now...But now I wait 1 more time for radio system..joke's on me..
Just when ya think your done for awhile and can go play.......Best to you my friend..Looks awsome...AKASlawhammer
Old 11-14-2008, 09:19 PM
mooman007uk

postman bought diddly squat this week[] but have found and ordered an RN tuning fatpower pipe 6004 so the jetpro will be on ebay over the weekend.
looks like my baja drivers head has to come off though to fit the pipe[sm=confused_smile.gif] he wont be able to see where he's going[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 PM
pwaicon

You are putting together one nice Baja, that thing is going to scream when you finish with it. I most definitely want to see a video once you get that RN pipe installed, I was looking for one a while back but couldn’t seem to locate one. Hope your parts come soon and keep up all updated on your progress.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:54 PM
mooman007uk

Postman has been busy, got my ball drive shafts, 813carb, alloy shock tower, still waiting for my arms should be here any day and i ordered a set of alloy shocks from pro5thscale so waiting for those. Also on order a pair of hpi paddles and ramtech adapters. Still searching for an RN pipe everyone's out of stock at present but I'll have one before too long.
As soon as my arms and shocks come i'm ready to run[sm=teeth_smile.gif] at last.

where it's at right now

[img][/img]

Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 PM
pwaicon

I am glad to see you are starting to get your parts. I have been thinking about putting a 2 speed on my Baja, how do you like yours? Also, I noticed you are running steel pinions with plastic spur gears, how is that set up working for you?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 PM
mooman007uk

I love the 2speed running 48/16 and 44/20 with 16 on the layshaft.....accelerates like hell with fast top end , best of both worlds.
Running plastic spurs hasn't given me any grief since I got alloy top arms, they hold up fine. I was running 46/18 with cat5 spur before but couldn't get a 48 steel so went back to plakky and now prefer it cos they weigh less and so spin up quicker, probably go back to 46/18 though when i manage to get the RN pipe.
Got an email from dps today haven't sent my arms yet, posting tomorrow so another week and a half[] poop.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:18 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That 2speed tranny does look sweet sticking out just underneath you pipe.

Before you began upgradeding your RC, have you ever clocked or run your RC througha speed trap in high gear? If so, how fast did you achieve?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:11 PM
mooman007uk

Never clocked it, I have a friend who's an rcmp officer so I can arrange a speed test sometime. It'll be interesting to see what it'll do flat out just as a comparison between the jetpro and rn pipes (when i get one, nice forum member in Holland is tracking one down for me).
I got all the different gear ratios from 48 down to 40 so I reckon given enough flat space and the right gearing it'll turn some pretty good speed.
However mph isn't really my thing I'm more of a torque freak (my 2000 dodge cummins is 820ftlb ) for bottom and midrange grunt.
I'll post some vid when it's all done and see if i can't include a speed test just for fun.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:16 AM
jetaddicted
My Feedback: (5)

That is one killer looking fg baja. I can't wait to see it fully put together. When you go to sell that jetpro let me know (if it will fit a monster truck).

Old 12-13-2008, 05:43 PM
mooman007uk

Ok latest update...got an email from Kris at dps, new arms were sent out week ago so i should have them this week...took so long cos they redesigned them and I'm the first person in the world to receive a pair of the new version...now i feel special[sm=bananahead.gif]...
I'll post pics as soon as they arrive....still waiting for my alloy shocks though from pro5thscale....ordered 4 weeks ago and either lost or languishing in customs.[]

2 things to look forward to now...fg back up and running with lots of new goodies and arrival of my rampage mt and associated hop ups.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:31 PM
mooman007uk

New arms have finally arrived, they have been redesigned as the pics show. Very robust looking. There are visible machining marks on them so for bling merchants you probably wont want them, they are not finished like elcon arms .for me there fine as they will be scratched and dinged real fast anyhow..
machining on the hinges is a bit uneven and shall let dps know but other than that for $180au I'm happy.

here they are

next to the old one

difference in hinge machining

Time to put them on