Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Nnew 1/5th scale help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Fudge
My Feedback: (104)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nnew 1/5th scale help!!

Hey guys.
I am looking for a new 1/5th scale which isn't too much money!!
Here are my 2 cars I'm considering:
I was thinking of getting this car, instead of the real baja 5b, (I can get it for under $500 shipped on ebay) and later upgrade the engine, and stuff
http://www.x-rover.com/index.php?mai...e9e401d629e3db
Or this one instead of the MCD truck:
any in put?
is this a good idea?
I would upgrade them with the authentic HPI baja 5b hop ups, or MCD hop ups!
I had a fg truck,, and loved it, but had to sell it for college, and want a new one now!!
If these are too cheap quality can U give me a new idea for under $900?
Unless any one has a fg or baja 5 that they would sell for under $900 as close to $500 as possible, I could pick it it in the NY or PA, or NJ area or something not too far away!!
Old 12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: Nnew 1/5th scale help!!

These are clone vehicles. You should give these links a thorough read-through, they go over these or very similar clone RCs a great review including tips nd advice to making them better:

For the HPI Baja clone made by King Motor
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7249314/tm.htm

For an FS RC
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6988418/tm.htm

For a Firehammer:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7706537/tm.htm

For a Redcat Rampage:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7453260/tm.htm

These will tell you all the possible upgrades and what people have experienced with them, good and bad, and how they overcame their problems.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:08 PM
slicrick

it dosent seem like you were a FG owner from the questions you are asking,if you really did own a FG,you would have some sort of knowledge about the large scale hobby,just my 2 cents
Old 12-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Fudge

What does having an FG have to do with the large scale hobby/
i had an FG so I knew FG, I really didn't care about the other stuff, plus I had the FG over 1 - 1 and 1/2 years ago,, before all this clone stuff!
FYI
And I would buy another FG but don't have the $$ for it!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Fudge

O and if you really want to be such a d!&K about it, I have pix of my truck!!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:23 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I too have an FG, I whoudl highly recommend one in a heartbeat. Its a great truck, and from puttering around and hitting stuff, I would say it s 10x tougher than my Savages! (Actually, that i an exagerration, but it does take a lot more punishement than what my Savages could bear. )
Old 12-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Fudge

Yes the fg was a great truck, but after some $$ problems I had to sell it, and at the moment I cannot afford a $1500 truck!!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
slicrick

[quote]ORIGINAL: Fudge PACKER

What does having an FG have to do with the large scale hobby/

UUUUUUHHHH maybe because FG vehicles are considered large scale!!!!good to use some common sense sometimes
Old 12-11-2008, 06:32 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Sorry to hear that. I know if I had to get rid of mine, I would absolutely miss it.

I do have am HPI Baja 5B clone, the King Motor one, on order, and when I get it, I do have my expectations in check. I know it is not made of the same German quality and materials as the FG RCs are, but for its price, I dont feel I am at a loss even though it will not be on similar par qaulity wise as an FG or the real HPI Baja.

Read over the links I posted in post #2, those links are great and contain a wealth of information concerning these clone RCs.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Fudge

yeah I read them the baja sound ok, but after reading it, I am actually thinking of buying the 5b ss, either that or when I order the clone, buy a new motor, pipe, arms, and electronics for it!!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:43 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That is not a bad idea. From what I have read about the KM one, the stock engine and pipe are sluggish, and someone even recommended to me to get a good DDM dominator pipe.

I will have to review my order again, but I believe my KM is coming with the CY engine, which is okay I guess, but it is not the Zen my FG has. Once I get it, I will get a good feel of how the CY engien runs as compared to teh Zen.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Fudge

I ran my fg stock, but I was thinking of putting the DDM 30.5 cc chrome engine?? with a jet pro pipe?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That would be sick! Wel, what is most important is teh timing profile of teh engine. I have read somewhere that teh CY engine has a reduced timing profile as compared to the Zen, and that might be why teh Zen performs better. Now, that 30.5cc head upgrade, if the timing profile on that is like the Zen timing profile, it would have teh benefit of both More torque & power because of the additional displacement.

The Zen 26 has a timing profile of is:
Exhaust duration: 134 degrees
Intake port durations: 90 degrees.

This was a rough measurement, so I could be off. I did not have the engine mounted securly and I didnt have a rig to hold a needle to teh degree wheel properly. The rig I have is made for nitro engies.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Fudge

where can I find the timing fo the DDm engines?
and is this something could possibly be changed do you know without muck trouble//
and by timing to you mean the in take and exhaust ports or on the spark?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:28 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I dont know unfortunately. I've hit the web and so far, I have found no sites or info that publishes are says what ANY of our gasser timing profiles are: stock or modded.

The only way I know of to find out what the timing profile is for any of our 5th scale gassers so far is to measure them.

I am remeasuring my Zen 26cc right now, from what I hear, I mismeasured it the 1st time and my durations are not even close to what the correct riming profile is supposed to be.

When I get my KM, I will dismount and tear down that engine too, and give it a measuring also. I want to see why a Zen would outperform a CY (if such a claim is true). If at the very least, have an idea why.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Fudge

Hey LMK about the king motors baja, if the engine is the same as a zenoah, I will not have to spend extra cash to get a DDM or zenoah engine!!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

if you do get a km, get the km pipe. it's just like the rear dominator pipe and it's $45 on e-bay right now. i got my km baja and the pipe for $505 shipped. when i run it later this month and install the pipe, i'll record a video of it and post it. but, for now, here's a couple vids of other people's km bajas with the km tuned pipes:

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsaPT01jW80]hellya's baja[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Tvlg2yvSs&feature=channel]and this one..[/link]
Old 12-11-2008, 10:38 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Dont automatically assume you will get the same performance out of your KM as you say in that vid. Hellya doesnt skimp when he upgrades his RCs, and I dont think just a pipe upgrade offered him that performance. He probably has more stuff in his engine too.

I hope he will care to share what other upgrades he put in that specific engine
Old 12-11-2008, 10:48 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

nope, all he changed was the exhaust pipe and the radio system. everything else is STOCK; including the engine internals.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:18 AM
RC Fat-Boy

ORIGINAL: Fudge

Hey guys.
I am looking for a new 1/5th scale which isn't too much money!!
Here are my 2 cars I'm considering:
I was thinking of getting this car, instead of the real baja 5b, (I can get it for under $500 shipped on ebay) and later upgrade the engine, and stuff
Or this one instead of the MCD truck:
any in put?
is this a good idea?
I would upgrade them with the authentic HPI baja 5b hop ups, or MCD hop ups!
I had a fg truck,, and loved it, but had to sell it for college, and want a new one now!!
If these are too cheap quality can U give me a new idea for under $900?
Unless any one has a fg or baja 5 that they would sell for under $900 as close to $500 as possible, I could pick it it in the NY or PA, or NJ area or something not too far away!!
I would say a Smartech Titan or Thunder Bolt would be great!
It's not a 100% copy and it's not as expensive as FG or HPI and it's a 4WD
Old 12-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Mr Terminator

Whats the Rampage a clone of..?? I thought it wasn't a clone of anything as it was an amalgamation of a few different models....
Old 12-12-2008, 05:14 AM
Fudge

The km looks cool, but the smartech cars don't have much upgrades for them from what I see!!
I want something that I could upgrade to be really fast!!
And I'm glad you mentioned 4x4, I have one m more question to go 4x4 would it be better to get the MCD or buy the FG and put the 4x4 conversion on it?
any one know which one is better?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:26 AM
SAVAGEJIM

If you get an FG, right not, they can be had fo like $1050 USD for a base MT. You can get teh Kamitiro chain 4WD upgrade for any FG
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8130285/tm.htm

I think that upgrade is like $400, I cannot ermember the conversion from Euros to USD.

The total would be about just under $1500 for FG and teh 4WD upgrade.

The MCD is already 4WD shaft, but I think it is $1500 USD for the rollewr only (no engine). I haee to look again, they might now include an engine.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:53 AM
mooman007uk

ORIGINAL: Mr Terminator

Whats the Rampage a clone of..?? I thought it wasn't a clone of anything as it was an amalgamation of a few different models....
rampage seems a clone mutt] a cross between a titan and an MCD and for $759 a great deal...i have one coming for xmas...you need some upgrades to start off with like nearly all others...alloy gearplate steel c+d gears, centering the dogbones and the upgrade kit for $49 is handy to have. i also ordered an oneills 28.5 ported kit inc stuffed crank and am having a hpi 5b tuned pipe modded to fit and exit out the rear to give the MT more go.
and i'd steer clear of kamitiro kits there is a thread somewhere about the nightmares people have had with them.
Shame this thread didn't come out during DDM 15% sale you could have got yourself a bargain FG within your budget[&o]
Old 12-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Fudge

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

Shame this thread didn't come out during DDM 15% sale you could have got yourself a bargain FG within your budget[&o]
You are right, I would have jump on that with out thinking about it, I love FG, even though they are harder to get parts for locally, I would have o get parts online, but they just seem like they are build tougher than the Bajas!! (might be just the way I look at it, and don't get me wrong, the bajas are sweet cars, especially the new 5T (which is way out of my price range))
O any one know if HPI will be coming out with a SS version of the 5T?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.