Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.
View Poll Results: A poll
The Baja 5B
24.59%
The Baja 5T
45.90%
Wait for possible Baja MT
6.56%
Kingmotors Baja
22.95%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Which Baja to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:03 AM
GotSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Baja to buy?

I would take the truck based on performance. over the 23cc buggy, and I really like how it looks. We have been running these in the dunes for the past few weeks and I tell ya they are worth every penny. Forget mark up and production cost for me it is about the fun. If you want to wait for the price to drop go ahead or buy a 1/10 scale rig, but in the mean time while your at home sitting around trying to save a buck I'll be grinning ear to ear with my bros throwing sand.

A big plus is that the after market pipes fit under the body which not only helps in protection but in looks as well IMO.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 AM
monsterbrad

I have been pondering over a 1/5 scale since I built my large scale boat this summer.
I have always wanted a 1/5 scale but never had the money.
Well I now have the money and still can't decide whether I want a 5bss or the 5t.
After reading all about the ss and the truck I am leaning towards the trucks cause well my screen name says it all.
I have seen the new truck run on youtube and the gearing seems a little better then the ss.
As soon as I get my wedding paid for I will do into high gear to decide which one I want for the end of the winter spring toy.
I am wondering how the 5t is on sand????
Old 12-19-2008, 11:41 AM
victory-rc

I would love to see a race between a SS and a 5T.... That truck goes damm good with that big body flopping around on top (handles great to).
I realy think the truck will out run the SS.

But im in faver of the SS still as i like the buggy look more then the truck and yo can pick up a SS kit on ebay for $819...AND THEN get the HPI "cashback"

Money does matter of course do whats best for you ....but i think the best bang for the buck is the SS kit.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Twin_Zilla

The 5T seems to be winning out (YES!) so far, but the 5B is still, truly an option. By the way people, what are your experiences like with the Carson CRT?
Because that looks pretty sweet and is quite (quite...) cheap...
Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: victory-rc

I would love to see a race between a SS and a 5T.... That truck goes damm good with that big body flopping around on top (handles great to).

But im in faver of the SS still as i like the buggy look more then the truck and yo can pick up a SS kit on ebay for $819...AND THEN get the HPI "cashback"

Money does matter of course do whats best for you ....but i think the best bang for the buck is the SS kit.
They have the same gearing or can be made to have the same gearing.........one is not faster than the other unless geared to do so.....body and mounts

That would be like racing a FG Beetle Pro against a FG MT........if they have the same gears and same engine......then it would be up to the drivers as to who faster...not the vehicle
Old 12-19-2008, 01:37 PM
monsterbrad

I have to say I like the protection that the body gives the chassis with the truck.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 PM
jvalencia

What "cash back" are you referring to?
Old 12-20-2008, 06:21 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Twin_Zilla

The 5T seems to be winning out (YES!) so far, but the 5B is still, truly an option.

Well, if the vote is deciding which RC you are going to acquire, the 5T is the one for you!

With the price cutting was going on right now for x-mas, the 5T can be had for around $1000 for just under it, after you take into accounts discounts and rebates you can combine.
But I would not wait to long after x-mas to take advantage of all the discounts and rebates, they will most likely go away after New Years day. And I suspect the price cutting wars will end then too and ALL RCs, HPI and clones, will go back up again. The x-mas shopping season spurred the price cutting wars, which were beginning just before the holiday shopping season and they did drop the price of RCs considerably. If anything, the positive effect of the price wars might is that many of these RCs might never go back to being as expensive as they were before.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:20 AM
monsterbrad

Yeah but on the other hand they may drop also cause of the economy.
I am still not sure what I am going to do.
I really want one but just don't want to part with the grand right now.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:17 PM
victory-rc

its a refund not a cash back,sorry $100 -> http://www.hpiracing.com/rebate/
Also if you goto www.live.com and sign-up,then do a search for a baja .....then click on ebay adds it links you to a %8 discount on top of the HPI rebate

-$819 ebay price
- $65 for the live.com rebate
-$100 from HPI
= 655 BUCKS FOR A BAJA SS

ORIGINAL: jvalencia

What "cash back" are you referring to?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:46 PM
BJ888KW
My Feedback: (2)

The Live.com rebate is currently not working and I'm pretty sure the HPI rebate does not work with purchases from Ebay.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:57 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: BJ888KW

The Live.com rebate is currently not working and I'm pretty sure the HPI rebate does not work with purchases from Ebay.
The live.com was 30% off... then 20% ....then 10%... now its not working[&o]
Old 12-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Twin_Zilla

Wow the 5T is really running away with it now...
Its a beautiful truck, but I just can't help waiting out for that 1/5th Savage..
I know its coming.
HPI's Baja series has been so popular, they have a large audience in the 1/5th scale market now, the 5T has gone down a storm, now they need to make the leap.
And I don;t want a 5T with a monster body, I want a built-from-the-ground-up Monster Truck, bigger than the MCD Racing one.
Like i said before, I don't ask for much.
Oh, and a CY 30.5cc engine with a standard Jetpro V3 would be nice
Old 12-20-2008, 03:46 PM
victory-rc

Hpi $100 rebate does work for HPI dealers on ebay until the 24th. it does work on ebay.

But it does need to be sold buy a HPI AUTHORIZED DEALER,and ebay has them.

Thats a good deal,$819 and $100 rebate from HPI brining it down to around $719.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:59 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Twin_Zilla

Wow the 5T is really running away with it now...
Its a beautiful truck, but I just can't help waiting out for that 1/5th Savage..
I know its coming.
HPI's Baja series has been so popular, they have a large audience in the 1/5th scale market now, the 5T has gone down a storm, now they need to make the leap.
And I don;t want a 5T with a monster body, I want a built-from-the-ground-up Monster Truck, bigger than the MCD Racing one.
Like i said before, I don't ask for much.
Oh, and a CY 30.5cc engine with a standard Jetpro V3 would be nice
I totally agree, and when I muster up some more money, the 5T is definitely the next RC on my list.

Oh, you tease my wishes with the mention of a 5th scale TVP Savage! HPI, if you are reading this, you guys better start a-cookin'

As for the 5T's price, the price cutting wars this x-mas shopping season has definitely spurred up some nice discounts and rebates, in addition to HPI reducing the general street price.
I am interested in seeing what the shelf price will be once the x-mas shopping season ends, and all teh price cutting wars, rebates, and discounts are done with.
(I feel badly though, I have a bad feeling that the 5T will return to $1350 USD shelf and all the clones will go back to just under $1000 again. I saw a redcat Rampage MT on EBay, cheapest price for NIB no less than $760USD, another had the same redcat for $850USD)
Old 12-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Twin_Zilla

The prices are certainly daring, arn't they!
I do agree though, I should imagine that the prices will restore themselves almost completely back to their original state sadly.
People get sucked into "SALE!!! MASSIVE SALE!!! HUMUNGOUSMASSIVEMAJORLEAGUE SAALLLLLEEEEEEE!!!" far too often sadly.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:59 AM
monsterbrad

not that any of you don't already know but they extended the rebate!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:03 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

Hpi $100 rebate does work for HPI dealers on ebay until the 24th. it does work on ebay.

But it does need to be sold buy a HPI AUTHORIZED DEALER,and ebay has them.

Thats a good deal,$819 and $100 rebate from HPI brining it down to around $719.

HPI extended the rebate now till JAN31st...you cheapest place to by the %T or 5b or SS is probally going to be tower hobby shince they have the tower codes still going