Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

NEW ENGINE IDEA!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 06:12 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW ENGINE IDEA!

would an engine from a common gas edger fit onto a normal 1/5 truck. i have a 26cc engine on my edger and it looks to be roughly the same shape as a common cy or zen. the whole edger was oly $60 when i got it and $80 now in home depot and if it fits, i that i found my new engine source. i have tested the engine well in my edger in the past 2 years and it has the power of a cy23cc as far as what i've seen. has anyone ever tried doing this before?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:24 PM
total3d

Default RE: NEW ENGINE IDEA!

by 'edger' im guessing this is a grass edge cutter/whipper-snipper?
yes they can fit, with some chassis modifications. a friend of mine put his into an old baja chassis, and its very very very quick. but it took so much time and effort to fit the engine, and problems arise regulary(require further mods).
Old 12-16-2008, 06:35 PM
scarletboa

how big was the engine he was trying to fit in. the one i have is only 26cc. i'm going to go dissasemble my edger and check the engine put myself.

(yes, i am talking about a grass edge cutter. sometimes there's a bunch of misunderstanding between different countries and their languages; even if it's still english.)
Old 12-16-2008, 06:46 PM
T I G

Stick with Zens or CYs.
my .02
Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: scarletboa

(yes, i am talking about a grass edge cutter. sometimes there's a bunch of misunderstanding between different countries and their languages; even if it's still english.)
Yes, that is so true. What is called a whipper snapper is called a weed eater by someone else. And A weed eater is a weed whacker to another. I personally never heard of a whipper snapper except from angry older folks yelling at punk kids and calling them that.

I would say that mounting a weed eater engine would definitely require some custom fabrication, but I see no reason why I cannot be done.
As for their ability to power our RCs, I do not know. I am thinking the timing profile of your home weed eater/leafblower/chainsaw or whatever would not be powerful enough for the task.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:41 PM
T I G

lol, total3d said "whipper-snipper" not whipper snapper hah.
That's a new one to me to. I've heard weed eater, weed wacker, edger, edge trimmer, string edger and string trimmer.

I said stick with Zens and CYs because of parts availability and accessability. You can go to any vender on the large scale sites and have the parts at your door within 3 days. Thats without having to modify anything.
With these weedwacker/chainsaw motors you'll have to do some research to see if the drivetrain/exhaust parts will fit, along with whatever chassis modifications have to be done.
If cost is your main concern, this is probably the wrong hobby to be involved in.
again just my .02
Old 12-16-2008, 07:48 PM
bsrman14
Banned

You can use a trimmer motor. But you need one with a clutch. Down side is not as fast or powerfull as a Zenoah. I prefer Echo or Homelite trimmers. Check out my bugget buggy.

Origionator of the first 1/4 scale $250 bugget buggy.
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: bsrman14

You can use a trimmer motor. But you need one with a clutch. Down side is not as fast or powerfull as a Zenoah. I prefer Echo or Homelite trimmers. Check out my bugget buggy.

Origionator of the first 1/4 scale $250 bugget buggy.

Looks nice. CAn you ost a pic that expands bigger? I really want to see your drivetrain and mount fabrication work
Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 PM
scarletboa

the crank case on my weed eater's engine has a weird shape to it and it just woouldn't be worth it anyway. i'll just use my kingmotor baja's engine til it poops and then i'll most likey get a cy 27 or a cy 29 with a headkit. (the $180 orange one from DDM)

as far as timing though on my weed eater, it's a homelite and it DOES have some serious power. i think the power can be compareable to a cy 23cc.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 AM
DTW

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

scarletboa
Sounds like you're on the right track. Stick to the Zenoah's or CY's for availability of parts etc..They'll be cheaper in the long run.

bsrman14
How about you post some LARGE detailed photos of your car???? You keep posting the same photo of your car over and over again and stating that it is the worlds first $250 1/4 scale car, but no-one can see any detail in the photo to know what you've done. You also don't give any detail on the car, like what you did to achieve the $250 cost.
I'm sure everyone on the forum would appreciate the information....and a photo bigger than a postage stamp.
Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 AM
splcrazy

i want to know what engine DDM buys to sell thier dissasembled cy heads for $19 ???
Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 AM
davido666

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

i want to know what engine DDM buys to sell thier dissasembled cy heads for $19 ???
CY engines!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:21 AM
drewcrew6

The biggest issue is the rpm's. A weedeater or whipper snapper engine will only rev about 9000 rpm a little more if lucky. With no load a stock ryobi 30cc will rev to 9500. A stock zen or cy revs closer to 20000rpm.

This Link is to my build with that ryobi engine. In that post you will find links to other cars with other style motors. I am currently rebuilding with larger tires (10") to get my gearing right before I build my large scale monster.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7951559/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]

This link is to a crappy vid of a run of that car.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A42q_Mo1lY[/link]

Good luck if you decide to venture this way. best if you are mech inclined and have acces to a machine shop.

Drewcrew6
Old 12-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DTW

scarletboa
Sounds like you're on the right track. Stick to the Zenoah's or CY's for availability of parts etc..They'll be cheaper in the long run.

bsrman14
How about you post some LARGE detailed photos of your car???? You keep posting the same photo of your car over and over again and stating that it is the worlds first $250 1/4 scale car, but no-one can see any detail in the photo to know what you've done. You also don't give any detail on the car, like what you did to achieve the $250 cost.
I'm sure everyone on the forum would appreciate the information....and a photo bigger than a postage stamp.
Thanks.
You will never "earn his respect" as he says,after all he is the God of $250-large scale car.Thou who earneth my respect will i showeth The Car to
I guess we will never see more of this car than this one stamp size-picture
Old 12-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Twin_Zilla

So, whats the stock RPM of, in your opinion, the best 30.5cc motor?
15k?
Surely it wont be 20 will it...
[] so much to learn ...
Old 12-17-2008, 04:28 PM
borley1863

No one sems to have mentioned that Zenoah?CY are specificly made/ tuned for RC cars so you won`t get the power you want from a strimmer engine.
Guy
Old 12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
T I G

That is very true borley.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:05 PM
scarletboa

ORIGINAL: borley1863

No one sems to have mentioned that Zenoah?CY are specificly made/ tuned for RC cars so you won`t get the power you want from a strimmer engine.
Guy

they are also meant for go-peds.[&:]
Old 12-17-2008, 07:35 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

ORIGINAL: DTW

scarletboa

bsrman14
Thanks.
You will never "earn his respect" as he says,after all he is the God of $250-large scale car.Thou who earneth my respect will i showeth The Car to
I guess we will never see more of this car than this one stamp size-picture
Well, if he wont post a betetr pic or more details in what is in his RC, I would love to see a vid in lieu of the postage stamp pic
Old 12-17-2008, 07:56 PM
looker2756

As for RPM. I have a 29cc stroker that would rev very similar to the 30.5. It will top out about 16,500rpm. I also have a CY 28.5 gp290 engine, & I have seen it run a tach all the way to 19,999rpm. Needless to say the shorter stroke engines will rev a bit higher than a stroker. On the other hand the string trimmer engines talked about would be lucky to see 12,000rpm.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That is a very good point, so the weed eater engines need to be geared anywhere form 50% to twice as high to make teh same speed as our expensive $150+ RC gasser engines.

Gearing up to compensate for lost RPMs is one thing, the next question would be if these non-RC engines even have teh torque to turn much higher gears and still reach their 9000 RPM max RPMs/
Old 12-17-2008, 11:33 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

whipper snipper whacker hacker engines are rev limited at the coil to around 9500 rpm if you can find an old homelite coil they will spin up all the rpm you want and most are a bolt up fit
Old 12-17-2008, 11:49 PM
scarletboa

ORIGINAL: OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

whipper snipper whacker hacker engines are rev limited at the coil to around 9500 rpm if you can find an old homelite coil they will spin up all the rpm you want and most are a bolt up fit

how do you know most are a bolt-up fit? have you tried it before? if you have, please post pics.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:59 AM
splcrazy

what CC do most of the high powered chainsaws use , i have a husqavarna medium chainsaw and the damn thing goes really hard . i wish they made cy engines with about 50cc that fit into a baja5b
Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 PM
drewcrew6

splcrazy why 50cc? On DDM [link]http://www.davesmotors.com/c.885035/site/index.html[/link] they claim some serious hp from some of there engines at lower cc's. I don't have a baja but wouldn't it be hard to get it to hook up with to much power? Anyway Zenoah does have a 61.5cc engine

From DDM's support area for rc's also check the goped area there are more engines there. [link]http://www.davesmotors.com/c.885035/site/support.html[/link]
Engine Brand Size Horsepower
G230RC Zenoah 22.5 cc 2.8
G260RC Zenoah 25.4cc 3.0
G62PU Zenoah 61.5cc 5.0
CY23RC Chung Yang 22.5cc 2.5
CY26RC Chung Yang 25.4cc 3.0
CY27RC Chung Yang 26.9cc 3.25
CY29RC Chung Yang 28.9cc 3.5
GP290 Chung Yang 28.5cc 3.5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.