RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

pico kill switch????

Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 AM
bajamaniac69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default pico kill switch????

he guys question ???????????

I was thinking about getting a pico kill switch..........Am I going to have to remove engine to put kill switch in...I was looking at my engine shroud on my Fg Monster truck......nut on motor mount looks pretty hard to get to right underneath the pull start ...right side

any ideas would help

thanks

john
Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: pico kill switch????

I can just get my fan cover off without remove the engine, but I don't have nuts on the bottom because i found they're not needed so it'll just slip off.

Just bought a pb pico switch myself...now i have 4ch nomadio i can keep my brake mix and run kill switch on ch4. i think they are a very wise investment, a couple of months back the rx battery came unplugged at wot and I watched helplessly as I saw 3+ grand smack into my log pile head on[&:]...lucky for me my fgbaja is pretty tough, it actually punched a piece of wood right thru the front bumper (a piece is still in it) but there was no other damage...didn't even bend the chassis. Lady Luck was shining that day
Old 12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
slawhammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is no need to take engine out of RC Unit...You can lift the kill button switch out of the fan cover....Lift it up carefully and unhook the ends on the coil...
Now with extra wire..2 different colours...says 24" inch's long....push the 2 wires thru the spark plug grommet....Pull out some excess in length to work with...thru
the button kill switch hole from fan cover....You need to strip some insulation back from your exsiting button kill switch....strip some insulation from your wires
you pulled thru the hole...Now take 1 wire you pulled thru the button kill switch hole and wrap around 1 wire on the button kill switch wire and solder together...
Do the same to the other wire....when done tape each wire....Now hook up your terminal ends to coil.. gently pull the excess wire back up thru the spark plug grommet
You may want to come out a bout 6" inch's and install disconnect terminals...that way you can take apart for trouble shooting and remove the engine if need be...
After installing your disconnect terminals ..take the 2 wires to the Pico switch...Hook the too 2 small screws....Plug in your Pisco wire to your 3rd channel and
adjust your Transmitter settings .. 3 rd Channel is AUX on your Rec ....You need to have the green or red lite on to start the engine.........LITE/OFF is kill engine....
Hope this helps ya out.....AKASlawhammer.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 PM
bajamaniac69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks guys....i wll wait till i get one to try and figure it out...................thanks for the tips
Old 12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
frumpy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

fgmaniac,have a look at this

http://www.asaad.com/killwires.htm
Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
wan6176

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes ur receiver must have a aux input.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: frumpy

fgmaniac,have a look at this

http://www.asaad.com/killwires.htm
That is the best instructions I've seen yet on installing an electronic kill switch to the manual push-button kill switch. I could not have described the process any better if I wrote 100 pages of detailed instructions than those pics.

Thanks so much for the link
Old 12-23-2008, 09:05 PM
frumpy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

your welcome anytime Jim
Old 03-14-2009, 08:28 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know this thread is about 3months old, but I'm quite stoked, I just got a new Pico Switch in the mail. It works, better than my other killswitch. The other one is a bit flakey, sometimes it works, other times it does not. And that was from day one. I never got that one wet so I know that is not the reason for my old killswitch malfunctioning.

This Pico switch is made by Dimension Engineering, and I like the screws for the wires. The old one I had had the wires already included, and they were too short anyways. This one, at least I can choose the length of wire I want.

For scale, to show how compact it is, I put it next to a Savage flywheel and on top of the handles of a couple of allen drivers I have for getting this puppy into my gasser.

So far, this kill switch has worked without a glitch. No worries if this thing will turn on when I turn on the RX (my old one was hit or miss, it will either turn on or not when I turned on the RX). And as soon as I activate 3rd channel, no worries at all; the Pico switch shut down the engine every time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88467.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1157794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16030.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1157795  
Old 03-14-2009, 10:14 PM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my pico got soaked and stopped workiing til it dried out...the led doesn't work anymore but the switch still does...which is no loss as it's inside my rx box...the rampage rx box is not waterproof...I replaced it with an o-ringed fg/dtx box...all good now
Old 03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The FG box is a gerat idea! Getting a grommet for it and cutting a hole for the box would be a good way to keep it waterproof. The thing I hate about the FG box is it is too damn small. And most of all, I wont be able to see if the Pico switch is on because the LED would be inside the box.

I guess I could cut a hole on the FG box and glue the plastic wrap part against that hole and use silicone sealant to waterproof it.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 AM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got a pico in my ramp and fg but find not seeing the led no loss...i just click it on after I turn on the tx...rest of the time I'm driving the led is no good anyway unless you have a very long neck or Steve Austin's eye
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 AM
clubin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I cut a square hole in the top of my Rampage Radio box and siliconed on a peice of lexan so I can see the led.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMZSJR5dLvg
I did the same on my FG, and MCD's.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is a great trick, I never though about lexan!

For the lexan sheet, how thick of a sheet did you use? Also, nice trick of using screws to bolt down the corners. Not only does that prevent the lexan from peeling up, but it holds the sheet down flush to the batt box while the silicone cures!

For my FGs, I personally use HPI Savage battery boxes, the X-box has a small square wire access that is exactly the right size for the pico switch to be pressed up against.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6321

The only problem I will have is finding small enough screws to hold the lexan down.