RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

wheels and tires?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default wheels and tires?

why havent any of the major wheel companies steppe up to the plate and offered us better selection. you would think that with as many different cars using the same mounting set up that this would be a no brainer. getting the aftermarket involved with our end of the hobby is crucial for us. we need to start contacting the powers that be and let them know what we need!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: wheels and tires?

I don't see any gaps in the tire market currently. Sure there isn't the enormous selection that 1/8th buggies and MTs have, but remember, half of thoes are actually fairly useless in application, with racers all using the same 5 or 6 different types. Large scale isn't as popular as smaller scales, mostly cos of the expense. If I were you I would invest my energies getting other people into large scale, so that the market grows. When the market exists for 'bling' and not so much function, the manufacturers will acquiesce and produce countless pointless different styles.

What car are you talking about by the way? Cos 'racing' cars (think FG on road and off road buggy sizes) have a pretty wide selection already. Only the 'run 4 fun' cars are lacking (HPI, MCD, Smartech etc), and most of them (not Smartech) have made their own beds by making their hubs incompatible with the vast majority of aftermarket tires which already existed. FG adaptors is all you need.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:29 PM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

increasing aftermarket support directly effects how many cars will be sold, why, because we dont like having the same thing as everyone else. take your cars for example (foxy) they are all very nicely upgraded.more aftermarket support also makes for better compitition amongst the various companies. and as a consumer if i think something should be improved or a better selection then i will pick up the phone and let manufacturers know how i feel. and since when is an mcd a "run for fun" car. i know of several people who have them and they are great vehicles my imex car (fs) is a good car but the mcd is a better car all around. i have friends that work for one of the largest distributer of LS in the U.S. and they sell less replacement parts for mcd than anything else, and most of what they do is being sold to people like me trying to make their fs car better. all i am sayingis i dont like the current selection of wheels available to me and would like to see more if that upsets you in any way im sorry you are you and i am me. and as far as bringing new people in i do do that i spend more time working on cars for unexpierenced hobbiest than i do my own vehicles.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see what you're saying but I disagree. It's not so much as 'which came first the chicken or the egg', as 'which came first the car or the upgrade'. It's obvious, the car came first.

Run for fun means anything which doesn't have a popular racing class. There is no sanctioned 4wd racing yet, it is an up and coming class, therefore, the MCDs all fall hard into the 'basher' category, and their plastic spec suggests nothing less.

As I repeatedly say, they are great cars, I have nothing against them. If you can afford them, you can't get better 4wd for less money. I for one hope that 4wd on-road racing takes off, but at this stage, I seriously doubt it will, as the 2wd cars are still faster round the track (and probably always will be at this scale). It's not a matter of opinion, sadly it's fact.

As for upsetting me, not at all. I'm sorry you get the impression I'm upset with you, and I'm also sorry you seem to have got the impression that you needed to defend yourself about helping others get into the hobby (which is not the same as helping them fix their cars). I was just suggesting you devote your energies to getting more people into large scale, than emailing companies about their tire selection for 1/5th (not even suggesting that you don't already do enough, how would I know?). I know a few original equipment manufacturers, and hop up manufacturers personally, and I can tell you right now, they'll say: 'show us demand and we'll make 'em'. It's really that simple.

I'm not being critical of you or your post, just trying to suggest a couple of factors you may not have considered. Good luck with the campaign, let us know how you go...
Old 12-23-2008, 04:04 PM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

im on my, way i know of one company here in the us that has some very cool stuff coming soon but it takes more than just me let the industry know what you want. the area that i live in most of the people i know have switched to large scale. we probably have more mc's here than in turkey!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:56 PM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

'show us demand and we'll make 'em'. It's really that simple.
too true...DDM wont be selling Dom pipes for the rampage cos they need to sell 300 units to make it worth while and they say they haven't shifted all the redcats they bought...(maybe it has something to do with the fact that they're more expensive than everyone else by $50 + no free shipping)
It's also interesting to see that there are only a few aftermarket companies producing parts for fg, fg make their own of course (thousands of them) maybe others can't compete...it's got me scratching my noggin a bit[sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-24-2008, 04:33 AM
splcrazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what do you mean ? we have hostile making us tires like the knobby large which is the best for off road and slicks for on road , there are also a few companys that make billet rims but they cost a fortune but they look really good . What we need is a differant better looking plastic rims and beadlocks
Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 AM
bsrman14
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IT's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:10 AM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

splcrzy, i agree hostile is an awsome company,with a great product. but as far as the plastic wheel and tire market unless you are running a 5b the selection looks the same from one company to the next. i am also going to go as far as to say i would like a better selection of lexan for the 1/5 and 1/6 scale cars. and foxy is correct about getting people into this hobby.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On the on-road lexan bodies, you have my 100% support. There really needs to be a better selection of bodies. I really want to see some JGTC cars, especially the Spoon or Js S2000 (for my own biased reasons. ).
Old 12-24-2008, 01:01 PM
bigscalebasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

what do you mean ? we have hostile making us tires like the knobby large which is the best for off road and slicks for on road , there are also a few companys that make billet rims but they cost a fortune but they look really good . What we need is a differant better looking plastic rims and beadlocks
an excellent observation splcrazy. here is a line of 1/5 scale beadlock wheels and tires i am in the process of testing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28292.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1095791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32110.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1095792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33433.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1095793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87872.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1095794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78349.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1095795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md52435.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1095796  
Old 12-24-2008, 01:12 PM
bigscalebasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

upon recieving this assignment, my first thought, was to test the structural integrity of the rims. how was i to do this?
heres what i came up with.[>:]

Name:	Yw67076.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1095798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20417.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1095799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51556.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1095800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11073.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1095801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tf49534.jpg
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1095802  
Old 12-24-2008, 01:18 PM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

exactly, you can get a eurovan body but no elise, no clio, no golf. i just feel that style has a lot to do with what we buy. if you want a monster truck you are stuck with a ford f-150, the asgard is cool but those ars your two basic choices. i love the full fendered fg beetle (cant find one). and the bodies from the clones are not durable. maybe its just me but we take alot of time and money to make our cars the way we want,and then they all have to look the same?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:21 PM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ah, bigscalebasher you are the man where, when, and how much?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 PM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the tires...super swampers and swamper boggers ...nice! the boggers will work real good in mud with all the smaller sized lugs cut off.
Question is how tall and wide are they?
Old 12-24-2008, 04:59 PM
bigscalebasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the first 3 pics the tire are 9 inches tall and about 5 inces wide. the last 3 are about 7 1/2 inches tall, and 4 inches wide.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:53 PM
splcrazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

with tires the main thing that angers me is the tread deepness , its always a slim tread pattern that lasts bugger all , thats why i re tread my own with imex jumbo tires and then it lasts for more than a year or more
Old 12-26-2008, 01:31 AM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

splcrazy, i would like to see some pics of you tires, we have had trouble with vibration from the cheaper tires after just a few runs
Old 12-27-2008, 12:52 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

with tires the main thing that angers me is the tread deepness , its always a slim tread pattern that lasts bugger all , thats why i re tread my own with imex jumbo tires and then it lasts for more than a year or more
I too have wondered about the lack of tire & rim options for 5th scale, and this thread has been informational so far.

This retreading you are talking about, can you go in-depth in describing how to do this? This sounds like a great idea, at least until more and more aftermarket tires and rims hit the market.

I'm actually surprised that ProLine has not begun to step into 5th scale with force.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:08 PM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well spoken savagejim, i would also like to hear more from splcrazy on the re tread idea. i am sitting here looking at a set of titan wheels and tires the wheels look like new and after about 4 tanks the tires are bald. pro line has started offering a tire for the 5b/5t. parma and proline could also make us some good lexan, the redcats need it, as do the fs cars,and as i stated before the truck choices are very limited (asgard or f-150). we are paying more for our cars so why arent the aftermarket companies stepping up to take our money
Old 12-27-2008, 11:48 PM
splcrazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yep here is my thread on how i re tread my tires http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68...tm.htm#6824542

and this is how they look today still , and i done them now 2 years ago

Name:	Yw66440.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1097861  
Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 AM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

o.k. that is one of the coolest things ive seen in here. i would think that the added rubber of the re cap would also make for a much stronger tire with less swelling at speed. nice mod splcrazy.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:18 AM
bigscalebasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FINALLY! the ramp video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32stu...&feature=email
Old 12-31-2008, 01:19 AM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if these wheels made it thru that they should be good! looks like a fun "test"!
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Silverback RC Products

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Silverback RC already has heavy duty beadlocks available for the HPI baja. Their first wheel design is being tested now with another 3 designs soon to follow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service