Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.
View Poll Results: A poll
The Baja 5B
24.59%
The Baja 5T
45.90%
Wait for possible Baja MT
6.56%
Kingmotors Baja
22.95%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Which Baja to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Twin_Zilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Baja to buy?

I have been looking at these and I have just fallen in love with the Baja 5T.
Is it much better (£300/$450 better) than the Baja 5B, as that is the price difference, and I think I'm serious about getting one of these beasts now
I just think they are awesome, 1/8th just doesn't seem so cool any more...
I should stop looking at these things!
Also, HPI are surely going to release a 1/5th scale Savage Monster Truck sooner or later, they started off with a buggy, then (basically) a truggy/stadium truck, its the obvious next move...
So should I wait and see or go for one of the existing models?
I'm so confused.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:54 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Which Baja to buy?

you forgot to list kingmotor baja. i vote for the kingmotor baja
Old 12-16-2008, 06:34 PM
dimag093

You can't go wrong with either so get the one you like and have fun with it.You won't regret it [8D]
Old 12-16-2008, 07:33 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Twin_Zilla

Also, HPI are surely going to release a 1/5th scale Savage Monster Truck sooner or later, they started off with a buggy, then (basically) a truggy/stadium truck, its the obvious next move...

You ended your poll way too soon, the poll ended the instant you posted your thread so no one could vote

I say get the 5T since that is the three you have chosen. It has alot of the nice upgrade goodies the stock HPI 5B does not. Or, as an alternative so you can get alot of upgrade goodies as well, you could get the the 5B SS kit. Of course, with the kit, you will have to supply your own radio, but that is really no loss since the stock RTR radios are hit-or-miss. (Besides, a decent aftermarket 2.4GHz radio set will have all sorts of goodies the TF radio will not.)

As for an MT version of the HPI 5T or 5B, I too would LOVE to see such a beast, especially if it is going to be 4WD shaft and have options for 4wheel brakes and all. But unfortinately, I cannot see PI sticking out their necks like that right now. I am guessing that if they have such a 5MT on the darwing boards, they might be trying to earn up as much money from the 5T as possible so those sales they can subsidize for the retooling (I doubt that retooling wont cost much fortunately) and the additional diffs and drive train hardware. Only time will tell, but I personally would love to see a Savage-like TVP 5th scale gasser
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM
MadManAndrew

the poll ended before you posted the thread, edit the poll and click the "never ends" box so I CAN VOTE!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:52 PM
scarletboa

if money is no issue at all, i say go for the 5t and get the km tuned pipe for it. they are as good as the DDM rear dominator and they are only $47 right now on the fleabay.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:05 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the look of the 5T more (maybe just because it's different than all the other Bajas ive owned) - but the reality is they're basically the same vehicle. Performance and durability is the same.

I wouldn't wait for an MT, may never even come. If you want an MT get an FG or MCD.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 AM
victory-rc

Just look at her....she's my pick

Old 12-17-2008, 01:37 PM
wan6176

i guess better wait today i went over to the rc shop to my shoock baja rtr was down to s$1399 and ss kit was s$1499
the new baja was s$2399..i guess i have to wait for baja MT.And the new baja it was F$$$king HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man can put my son on it n drive him around.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14496.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1091499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69439.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1091500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb77019.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1091501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20479.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1091502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx21718.jpg
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1091503  
Old 12-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Twin_Zilla

Poll has been opened.
*sigh*
I'm such a muppet! lol
I really love the 5T, but its a lot more expensive than the 5B. I too would love a 4 wheel brake, shaft driven 1/5th MT from HPI SAVAGEJIM, but will it ever come?
And I'm rather not get an MCD or FG, prefer HPI really
It's going to be more than a year until I can afford one anyway, so I'll see what happens i guess
POLL OPEN!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Twin_Zilla

Oh and sweet pictures wan
The 5T is so cool lol
Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
scarletboa

so money is an issue........get the km baja!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:21 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: wan6176

i guess better wait today i went over to the rc shop to my shoock baja rtr was down to s$1399 and ss kit was s$1499
the new baja was s$2399..i guess i have to wait for baja MT.And the new baja it was F$$$king HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man can put my son on it n drive him around.
man those prices are nuts a rtr baja for 1399.oo good luck selling that .
Old 12-17-2008, 09:53 PM
slicrick

[quote]ORIGINAL: Twin_Zilla

It's going to be more than a year until I can afford one anyway, so I'll see what happens i guess

it's no fun being a tire kicker....LOL...so better off put this thread to rest until you're serious about being a large scale owner.this hobby isnt for everybody,especially if your piggy bank is empty.....LOL
Old 12-18-2008, 07:24 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Looks like your poll shows the HPI Baja 5B is winning out. If you decide the HPI 5B, I suggest you save a little and get the 5B SS kit for just a bit less. The kit is less electronices (which are mediocre anyways), but the SS kit comes with alot of upgrade goodies, including tuned HPI pipe, that the RTR does not.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Twin_Zilla

Yeah, but I've never built an RC model before, and I dont think a 1/5th petrol engined model is quite the right way to start out.
Whatever I buy it'll be an RTR I'm afraid, I can always buy the tuned pipe later.
Thanks for the advice though
I must admit I'm still leanin towards the 5T...
Or even waiting.
Just imagine a raised 1/5th scale Savage with shaft driven 4WD and a cy 30.5cc motor with a Jetpro V3.
Now that would be special
Old 12-18-2008, 06:51 PM
dpworth

Evening guys,

Firstly I have to say don't worry about building a large scale vehicle as a first build. They are no different to other scales to build be I say are easier to work on due to the parts being bigger.

In terms of who's Baja I have to say that we have had a couple of clone Baja's enter the British LSOR series this year and they have not been as reliable as the real thing.

In Stuart Carricks hands the British series was won at the 6th round (8 in total) of the championship and Stuart drove a SS Baja from the 2nd round of the series. OK his was fitted with hydro brakes and uses non HPI wheels\tyres to compensate for the various tracks that we raced at areound the UK.

With regards the 5T I've recently been sent one to review for a UK magazine and when it arrived I think the street price was £900 and now its £1200 due to the current exchange rates. Like most manufacturers over here in the UK HPI have had to increase their retail prices.

Having took delivery of the 5T I was amazed at how big it is, it fills every inch of the shipping container. Once you remove the body and side trays you return to the standard Baja silhouette.

Looks nice, is well made and comes with a few spares, tools and oils\thread lock etc. Am looking forward to getting some track action in with it over the Xmas hols.

A couple of static pics are attached for reference

Have fun.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33106.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1092267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62451.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1092268  
Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Oh, I dont disagree at all! A 4WD 30.5cc Baja 5T or 5MT would be down right awesome!

As for kits, they are very surprisingly very easy to put together. I have put together several HPI kits and teh instructions are some of the best east-to-use manuals. Putting together the 5B SS kit will be very easy and can be done in one day. To me, putting together an RC is half the fun.
Additionally, if you buy hop-ups and upgrades, assembling the kit is the best time to toss in the hop-ups!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 PM
FGmyzer

why does the baja truck cost almost $500 more than a baja buggy? The only difference I see is the front bumper, body mounts and the body?

There isnt $500 worth of extra plastic on the truck
Old 12-18-2008, 07:41 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I personally would not know; I do know that teh 5T has the 5B SS kit upgrades (well alot of them if not all of them).

Also, it could be that HPI is trying to take advantage of the demand, which I hope that money will be used to subsidize the development of possibly another 5th scale RC. (****dreaming of a 5th scale Savage 4WD shaft driven!*****)
Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: FGmyzer

why does the baja truck cost almost $500 more than a baja buggy? The only difference I see is the front bumper, body mounts and the body?

HPI charges that because they can.....they feel they enough have die hard people... who will pay whatever price tag HPI thinks they can charge...

ORIGINAL: bryan70546
And you know whats funny even though its way overpriced people will still buy it.

Its called HYPE......just like MCD used to be way overpriced.....people stated its the best quality thats why it cost so much...now you can get that same MCD for alomsot 1/2 the price.....

Thats why HPI is pissed off at the baja clones......they have seen what clones can do to sales and prices of other 1/5 vehicles ....MCD being a prime example
Old 12-18-2008, 08:12 PM
GotSky

ORIGINAL: hellya

ORIGINAL: FGmyzer

Because they can.....they feel they have die hard people who will pay whatever price tag HPI thinks they can charge...

and you know whats funny even though its way overpriced people will still buy it.

Its called HYPE......just like MCD used to be way overpriced.....people stated its the best quality thats why it cost so much...now you can get that same MCD for alomsot 1/2 the price

YOU HAVE KNOW CLUE DUDE!!!!
UMMM> I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about. The 5T comes with a 26cc motor not a 23, The 5T has the up graded alum Diff and Heavy duty gears, the 5T has heavy duty Dog Bones and out drives. The 5T has the larger SS style shocks. The 5T has a huge truck shell that alone cost $200+, Should I go on.. Ok how about the heavy duty clutch, The extra mounting plastics and covers for protection.
HMMM. ya I'd say they are the same.NOT!!!!. Think about what you post before you type it out...

Take the 5T over the buggy any day. and with Towers $200 off plus the $100 back from HPI thats a grand total of $999 for the truck
Old 12-18-2008, 08:13 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I personally agree, because I too am looking at it from a consumer's point of view. Since some places offer discounts, you can find even the 5T for like $1300 USD (really $1299, but I hate prices that end in "9" or "5")

With the serious price cutting wars going on, I bet HPI will eventually drop the 5T to jsut under $1000 USD (like $999 or $995).
Old 12-18-2008, 08:20 PM
hellya

YOU HAVE KNOW CLUE DUDE!!!!
UMMM> I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about. The 5T comes with a 26cc motor not a 23, The 5T has the up graded alum Diff and Heavy duty gears, the 5T has heavy duty Dog Bones and out drives. The 5T has the larger SS style shocks. The 5T has a huge truck shell that alone cost $200+, Should I go on.. Ok how about the heavy duty clutch, The extra mounting plastics and covers for protection.
HMMM. ya I'd say they are the same.NOT!!!!. Think about what you post before you type it out...

Take the 5T over the buggy any day. and with Towers $200 off plus the $100 back from HPI thats a grand total of $999 for the truck
See a die hard person who will pay.......Dude I have a clue What do you think the prouction cost is of the baja??? In tiawan??? under $400

So basically it has SS parts.... they charge $200 for the shell it doesnt cost $200 to make....HPI doenst sell a vehicle without making atlest 100% profit

Wait and see the HPI truck will go down in price!!!

Why would you take a truck over a buggy???? Performance or looks
Old 12-18-2008, 09:03 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: GotSky

YOU HAVE NO CLUE DUDE!!!!

Dont sweat it, Yes HPI costs more, and is materially better with less defects from the factory, and that does have a cost. Yes there might be some mark up too, and I am curious where that $400 manufacturing cost figure comes from since HPI and KM and any other 5B cloner does not disclose their operating costs.

Lets use that $400 figure and use it as an example (even though this $400 might not be true at all). If it costs HPI $400 to make one 5T unit, a cloner can make the same for easily $150-$200. They have several advantages: Lax quality controls allow them to let more defects slip thus they do not lose money for as many reject parts. They use cheaper materials and also cheaper manufacturing standards. Additionally, the bulk of their cheaper operating costs comes from subsidization from their parent companies. So, even cloners have a huge mark-up.
Bear in mind that lax materials choices can lead to the product having poisons as the maker might cuts the plastics with some compounds to make it look like there is more. And of course, the different plastics formula often times yields pieces that are not as strong as the original. Take the parts and do scientific stress tests and the truth will be revealed. Take a mass spectrometer, and of course you will see the difference in the formulas.

As I said before, the price cutting wars are revealing how much of the mark-ups all of the companies are willing to sacrifice. HPI will continue to come down, and even that $999USD will continue to go down too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.