Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

I really, REALLY want one of these...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

I really, REALLY want one of these...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Twin_Zilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really, REALLY want one of these...

http://largescalerc.com/index.asp?Pa...OD&ProdID=1919

That would be absolutely incredible. I want a video of one of them specced like that to watch, but there isn't one anywhere. They are really quick stock, but thats in another league I'd guess.

Awesome

I currently have a 4.1cc motor, do you think I'd be able to cope with the power increase of a 30.5?

They don't seem to travel that much faster than 1/8ths and such, so I think (should I ever get close to raising the funds) I'd be fine
Old 12-13-2008, 12:13 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: I really, REALLY want one of these...

Over $1600 USD!!!??? That is just nuts. The current sale value NIB is about $1350 USD, maybe cheaper because of teh discounts and rebates for teh holiday shopping. Even Tower has it for $1350 now (or maybe even cheaper).
Old 12-13-2008, 12:33 AM
bhcvc

I saw the new HPI 5T in person and it's HUGE!!! It makes my DTX Firehammer MT look small! If I could afford one, I'd love to pick it up, but no way I'd ever have that much to spend on an RC (my wife would kill me and make it a slow death!).

Oh, about speed, 1/5s aren't really any faster than 1/8s. Actually, you can make a 1/8 faster probably, but a 1/5 truck running at those speeds might be pretty scary, especially if it hits something...yikes!
Old 12-13-2008, 02:41 AM
hellya

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Over $1600 USD!!!??? That is just nuts. The current sale value NIB is about $1350 USD, maybe cheaper because of teh discounts and rebates for teh holiday shopping. Even Tower has it for $1350 now (or maybe even cheaper).
For $1600...they switched out motors from the 23 to a 30.5 and added a V3 jet pro pipe...and add the labor cost 1 shop hour $ 50-100
Old 12-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Twin_Zilla

^^^ I was just about to say that
But if I may correct you, kind sir, the starting motor is a Fuelie 26cc
Old 12-13-2008, 06:29 AM
hellya

ORIGINAL: Twin_Zilla

^^^ I was just about to say that
But if I may correct you, kind sir, the starting motor is a Fuelie 26cc
I stand corrected
Old 12-13-2008, 11:22 AM
looker2756

ORIGINAL: hellya

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

For $1600...they switched out motors from the 23 to a 30.5 and added a V3 jet pro pipe...and add the labor cost 1 shop hour $ 50-100

The facts are :

HPI 5t = 1299.99
30.5 = 299.99
Pipe = 189.99
Labor = 50.00

26cc - 150.00 Trade in

If you want to know what the shop rate is, you might ask first before running your mouth. Our rate is 25$ per hour. NOT the 50-100 $ like Hellya suggests. Changing an engine & installing the pipe on a brand new vehicle, without damaging it in any way can definitely take a couple hours. It's still sad to see people quoting shop rate prices & dogging prices without proving their rediculous claims.

The 5t trucks are a bunch of fun. The 30.5 model will have huge bottom end torque, while the 28.5 will turn big RPM on the top end. The choice is Torque or Speed ? It's up to you !
Old 12-13-2008, 11:51 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: looker2756

If you want to know what the shop rate is, you might ask first before running your mouth. Our rate is 25$ per hour. NOT the 50-100 $ like Hellya suggests. Changing an engine & installing the pipe on a brand new vehicle, without damaging it in any way can definitely take a couple hours. It's still sad to see people quoting shop rate prices & dogging prices without proving their rediculous claims.

The 5t trucks are a bunch of fun. The 30.5 model will have huge bottom end torque, while the 28.5 will turn big RPM on the top end. The choice is Torque or Speed ? It's up to you !

I cannot agree more. I went to my local RC store and they had a few HPI 5Bs around. I asked them what they would charge to switch out engines, and they quoted me $35 to check over and diagnose & $20/hr and a couple of days (they had several RCs in line to be fixed or otherwise worked on). $20/hr for labor and that was all. They told me they could skip the $35 diagnosis fee if all they did was the work, but of course, they recommended that I do the $35 diagnosis anyways (it is only a one time fee, not paid per hr like the $20/hr cost). The only time it would cast more is if parts must be bought to fix something.

So, assuming 2hrs to finagle the new engine and pipe into the RC + the $35 diagnosis, that would have worked out to $75 for the labor, not the $50-$100/hr (or for 2 hrs, $100-$200). My local RC store says the $35 diagnosis + $20/hr is a really good deal, I do not know since I do most of my wrenching myself.

Honestly, I think my local RC store has made way more money from me by selling me parts and fuel. Sure, I also bout whole RCs from them, but they get more money from me from parts. I never paid them a dime for them to work on any of my RCs.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:05 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: looker2756
The facts are :

HPI 5t = 1299.99
30.5 = 299.99
Pipe = 189.99
Labor = 50.00

26cc - 150.00 Trade in

Hey man I was defending your price now I wont....................you might charge these prices but you didnt pay these prices

The ESP big bore 30.5 head kit is only $174....and the race ported 30.5cc are only $159 without a stuffed crank....$169 with a stuffed crank

The V-3 pipe can be bought for $30 less than what you charge......

The 5t can be bought at towers for $1199..... it cost even less (another -$100) if you are a member of their club

those are just the facts..........somone can save alot of money and order and install the upgrades themselves

1547...if your a tower member 1447
Old 12-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Twin_Zilla

Thats all well and good, but I wouldn;t know where to start. I barely tinker with my Nitro cars engines, rarely EVER touch the carb needles as a friend of mine is like a pro so he sets them up perfect.
I changed one once out of intrest, and it didn't work after (well, not as well). I'd forgotten what I'd done, so I took it to him and within the first minute of looking it over he looked up and said "YOU changed my needles, didn't you." I was like... "Err.. no?" Not a happy bunny
Old 12-13-2008, 04:44 PM
hellya

Everyone has to start somewhere in the hobby.........might as well get used to working on your own vehicle.....at sometime you will have to.

It may get hard trying to let largescale work on it especially if your in the UK

there is alot of info on 1/5 vehicle websites.....actual videos you can watch or step by step engine build tutorials

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6928

Look on youtube....here is a link to a couple videos about rebuilding engines.....

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Old 12-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Twin_Zilla

I can swap out parts like diff cases, clutch bells etc, I just dont like fiddleing with the needles...
I always get it wrong lol
Old 12-13-2008, 04:54 PM
hellya

thats the easy part with gas engines ............you set the needles after you first tank of gas and your good to go

Look at the 3 screws on the pull start side of the carb. The top two are the High and Low needles.

Keep in mind that the low speed flows fuel from zero to about 1/3rd throttle opening. The high speed jets starts flowing from about 1/3rd throttle open to full throttle. Both jets flow fuel above 1/3rd throttle.

Set the high speed jet at least 2 turns out from bottom to start. Set the low speed jet at about 1&½ turns out. Warm the engine on the stand for a few minutes, rev the engine on the stand a bit while rough setting the low speed jet for idle to rev throttle response. Close the low speed too far, and the idle goes up from a lean condition. Open the low to far and the engine will run rich and die. Stay on the rich side, but make sure throttle response from idle is good.

Continue to rev the engine above half throttle, but not holding it in any one position for the last few minutes, to run the engine with the high speed jet flowing. Shut it down, and check the plug color. The plug should be a dark color like a dark brown or black. The rich settings we start with could possibly foul a spark plug, so you might want to have a new plug or two on hand for tuning. This plug color is good for now, it means we are getting plenty of fuelat least on the stand.

Now, it is time to run it and tune the high speed jet. Remove any body parts, or roll cage parts you need in order to access the plug easily ( you can take the plug cover off the roll cage on the Baja 5B for easy plug access. Note: If you roll over with this cover off, you very well may break the spark plug. Use care so you don't roll over and you ll be fine. Replace the plug cover on the roll cage when you are done)

You will want to keep a plug wrench and a glove (that plug will be hot) in your pocket while you are out in the field tuning, You want to be able to access your plug easily. Run the Buggy for about time minutes just to bring the motor up to a nice running temperature. Now, Run the buggy for 10 seconds at about ½ throttle after it is warmed up, and stop it at your feet. Quickly shut off the engine, and check the plug color. Don‘t let engine idle or use lower RPM‘s so the plug won‘t darken, and give you a false reading. If it is still dark in color, that is good for now. Now run the buggy again and use a little higher RPM. Check the plug again. Repeat this process while creeping up on full throttle, and check the plug often. Keep doing this until you are checking the plug with full throttle runs (you will need a lot of room), and the plug hopefully is on the dark side.

If the plug is white, or light in color at any RPM, and you cant get a safe color to it by turning out the HS jet (over 2 turns out approx does not make any difference on the jet), stop running the engine. You most likely have a air leak or a dirty carb/filters, which can also cause a lean condition and damage the top end.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:19 PM
looker2756

ORIGINAL: hellya

add the labor cost 1 shop hour $ 50-100
Don't be mad cause you got caught.
I was simply correcting another mis-information.

My example did not include discounts or HPI rebates either.

We are all about helping someone get what they want when purchasing a new vehicle. We also offer phone assistance for any issue they may have later. Customer service & quality products, the way you want to buy them, is why so many people do business with our staff.

We appreciate them all !!
Old 12-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Twin_Zilla

I take it you work at Large Scale RC.com?

And I meant I dont touch the needles on my Nitro car, I'm sure it'd be easier on a petrol engine, most people say it does.
Its like a high performance lawn-mower, right!
That Baja with the 30.5 is AWESOME though.
I wonder what the top speed of a beast like that would be...
Old 12-14-2008, 05:17 PM
looker2756

Yes I do.

Top speed with stock gears will be around 42 m.p.h.. The 28.5 & 26 cc models will run about 46 m.p.h.. The 30.5 models have awesome bottom end torque, because of the 2mm extended stroke & can accept the super speed style gears to get their speeds back above the others. They will run a few less rpm on the top end, thus a bit slower speeds with same gearing. The shorter stroke engines will turn more RPM & go a bit faster. The 28.5 in my opinion is the meanest engine the Baja needs. More torque just makes it even harder to keep straight when driving. The 28.5 models are a handfull !
Old 12-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Twin_Zilla

But...
*turns into caveman*
30.5 is the BIGGEST!
In all seriousness though, I'd be over the moon with one with the stock Fuelie 26cc motor lol
That would be a tough choice... more top speed (like 2-3mph, right?) or more climbing and pulling power?
More torque = bigger rooster tails in sand therefore 30.5 wins
I'm easy to please in the world of RC lol
Old 12-16-2008, 07:37 PM
SAVAGEJIM

What you can do, to tame that higher torque, because you WILL wheelie like crazy, and at the same time get more top speed, is gear up. With higher torque off roads, gearing up is not a bad thing to tame the torque and spin-outs.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:48 PM
speedy.d

unless you are buying your cars from a fly by night seller the added cost covers the operational cost of the business largescalerc is my local shop and they go above and beyond with their products and customer service.and it doesnt matter to them where you got your car from they still go the extra mile for you and for the record i DO NOT work for them, but more than once they have helped me out.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 PM
looker2756

Much appreciated !!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:59 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

are these engines direct fit on most trucks \buggies without mods?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:25 AM
SAVAGEJIM

If you are talking about teh various Zenoahs, Chang Yangs (CYs) and other Zenoah cloned engines, yes, they absolutely will fit 100% with no mods or very little mods. Zenoah RC engines are the industry standard, and any engine cloned from Zenoah and CY will fit into the HPI 5T and 5B Bajas

Now, the 30.5cc engine ca either be bought as a complete engine or as an upgrade kit for the 26CC CY "Fuelie" that already comes with the 5T and 5B SS.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 AM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: speedy.d

unless you are buying your cars from a fly by night seller the added cost covers the operational cost of the business largescalerc is my local shop and they go above and beyond with their products and customer service.and it doesnt matter to them where you got your car from they still go the extra mile for you and for the record i DO NOT work for them, but more than once they have helped me out.
Yep been dealing with troy and the gang for years they have allways been good to me.