Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

one giant VW buggy

Old 01-01-2009, 02:32 PM
quadbuggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: one giant VW buggy

all is possable, i will chop most of the chassis work that goes over the engine off and reduce the overall height by 2inchs or so, also a redesign at the front to accomodate the wiper servo. not to sure about dropping the ride height of the springs as i want to increase the wheel track width by about 15cm both sides at the rear and make the front 10cm wider each side (need to make the front bigger for the wiper motor)

but i agree something need to be done about the spring rate or at least position the spring so more force is applied from the sing arm

making the front wider will be easy but i think i need a atv rear shaft i can fiddle with

i want to use much of the exiting parts as possible to keep it simple and easy. my thinking is to produce a PDF plan for others to have a crack at building one.

in the pic you can see the bar i welded over the engine to give protection and support the front suspension. this will go and i will strengthen the base frame etc

the rear cross bar on the swing arm will be altered and a set of matched drilled holes in flat bar welded to it so i can adjust the height.

but this will have to wait untill i come back from holiday on the 19th jan!!

dam too long i want the play now!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84270.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1100804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31001.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1100805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58895.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1100806  
Old 02-04-2009, 05:26 PM
quadbuggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: one giant VW buggy

Update....
Just spent the last few weeks tweaking the breaking system and I have finally managed to get the quad bike rear break to wok using a heavy-duty normal sized servo!!!

Trick is to apply a bit of breaking force at throttle idle position, then as you accelerate it backs of the break just a little to allow free wheeling. I.e. I removed the slack out of the system it locks the wheels pretty dam good.

Also under the microscope was the steering system. it was a bit clunky and not so direct... so I repositioned a few things and mounted the servos vertically at the front and now it has enough free movement to allow the wheels to turn past the original steering stops. Pictures below shows the system (note i am using exiting parts from the quad and only modifying them as i have limited manufacturing capabilities at my disposal).
spot the piece of black bar supporting the end of shaft. During test the servos made the shaft move side to side, which means i now have to add an other bush at the end.

Because i am using 2 giant servos, off the shelf stocked items i needed to build in a weak link so if something does happen this will moved and all save the servos a bit.

ah also this will help some of you lot trying build - Carb spring is a bit to hard so pull it out and replace it with a normal Click Click pen spring (will have to stretch it about 3mm but is perfect!!

new bits

repositioned the fuel tank
Mounted a receiver and bat box
chopped about 1kg of weight off
Added servo for accelerator linkage only.

the weld are abit like pigion ****!! will strip it down and re=weld it once it all works.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19163.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1127625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23365.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1127626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58196.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.8 KB