Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ???

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ???

Old 01-06-2005, 12:49 AM
smaerd58
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ???

I wanted to open up a new thread on the new Duratrax Firehammer to see how people who bought it like it or don't like it. I want this to be informative for people like me that might be sitting on the fence waiting on a review before buying one.I don't want this to turn into a fight with people that only like FG products etc. and want to slander other manufacturers of large scale that are popping up. Please keep this fun.Thanks smaerd58
Old 01-06-2005, 11:50 AM
cobrasnake302

Default RE: Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ?

I just bought a Firehammer and love it. This is my first experience with 1/5 scale. I have never drove or seen the similar FG in person, so I have no personal experience in comparing the two. I only used my firehammer 2 times. The first time I was going pretty slow for break in and the second time I had it out for about 25 minutes and was jumping a couple feet in the air over a small hill in a local field. The car is very fun and really tears up the grass when you give it full gas. I have a fuel mixture of 25:1 for break in and will soon be going to 40:1 mixture. I have not tuned any of the carb adjustments and it seems like it's not tuned for max performance and is still plenty quick. I have crashed it several times already and have never broke anything at all. I do recommend upgrading the controller for better adjustments as the stock cheap futaba is not the greatest, but it does the job. I have just switched to a JR XR3 that I had for my 1/8 scale cars and am switching the throttle servo with an extra servo I have for better response and stronger for the break. I have heard the servo is not the greatest for the steering and may eventually get a different one once I reasearch which one to get. I got mine at tower hobbies and used an ad number that was on their website for a discount, and paid $900 for the car, motor oil, filter oil, 8 AA batteries, TO MY DOOR, and that was with TAX because tower hobbies and myself are in Illinois, so it would have cost most people around $825 shipped and comes with a $15 gift cert. I can' t wait till the weather gets better so I can take it out again and I can't believe how great it is to have a tank of gas last 30min-1hr compared to the nitro cars with only 5-10 minutes of run time. I ordered the FG plastic cover for the electronics and plan to wrap the servos with electrical tape and wrap the reciever and use the plastic cover so I can drive is some really muddy wet conditions. Another thing that I heard is good is there is a warantee on most of the plastic parts like the suspension arms and if you break something they will replace it for free. I plan on buying a set of all the arms for backup in case I breake one so I can drive it while the others are being shipped for/from warantee. The spare parts price list on tower hobbies seems like most parts are pretty reasonablly priced too.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:20 PM
cobrasnake302

anyone else??
Old 01-13-2005, 08:19 PM
ZondaC12

i believe its a copy of a smartech traveller. (somebody correct me if im wrong) i think there was a thread over this issue and its not a copy of the fg marder but of this smartech traveller. i think its another one of those good european companies that make these things. so you can bet ur life savings its a good one
Old 01-14-2005, 05:09 AM
Featherpluckin
My Feedback: (6)

Another Firehamme own very cool. Got mine 2 weeks ago asnfd have had it out a couple of times weather permitting. Had to weather proof it using sdaran wrap and duct tape (dont you just love duct tape?). It was -9C when i took it out for the first time all fueled and ready top go. The first tank I spent just tooling around not going over halfthrottle just getting used to the controls, the sssize and the driving in the snow and ice. when i felt after abut 25 miniutes i waqsused to it and had it dialed in the way i wanted i brought it back in lor a fuel stop. I also changed the batteries for the receiver. Lastly i checked to make sure my weahterproofiing was holding up (it was) and off again this time though wow I hit the throttle and 2 giant rooster tails of snow and ice were flung 15 feet behind and 8 feet in the air and this thing took off like a cat with its tale on fire. I definitely need a larger school yard this thing ripps up grand like noting ive driven before. As for handling even on the snow oand iceit was totally wicked but am loking forward to a new set of tires so i can put some bolts in them for even more grip on the ice. AS for jumping? the school yard sits beloe a steep 4 foot high hill which becokmes the teachers parking lot. First few flights weree taek from the top at about 3/4 throttle and offit wentr like it had wings. I did notice it was a little bit heavy in the rear but that was controlable with a quick blip of either throttle or brake. After i had gotten that down to a science kit was time to takeit the other way going from the school ground up. I hit it with full throttle and wow it went about 8 feet in the air and for a disdtance of abut 20 feet beforew coming down slightly nose up. I then proceded to panick abit cut the wheelll to hard and rolled it 3 times. Nothing broke. after driivng around a bit more the engine quit (lack of fuel and that was it for the day(it was getting colder). Over all impression: Excellent. Acceleration excellent. Handling: Very good. Ease of use Excellent. Radio Equiptment: average to good. Bnag for the buck: Excellent.

What impressed me most: Great price, Size, completness of unit, Great duratrax documentation and instructions, 1 year stresstech gaurenttee, Ease of use no more annoying nitro routines, toughness of parts.

What can be improved: Radio equiptment While it is sufficienbt for bashing would like a bit more adjustibility. Steeering servo and throttle servo while again great for bashing probably not up to compitition, size (I may need another garage bay).

I have owned jacrabbits, fg vehicles and marders in the past. The Firehammer compares very favorably to any of them. Price wise it offers more bang for the buck then any of them(this also includes replacement parts cost). The one big advantage I found over the others was the jump handlling ability was supperior in that it does not have the beachball effect and bounce uncontrolably in situations. the drawback is that duratrax is not known for thier large size vehicles. Heres hoping that changes because the more competitors we have in the large scale format the better it will be for the hobby.

Thanks for reading

Garry
Old 01-14-2005, 12:17 PM
smaerd58

Great Reviews guys keep em coming!!! Cobrasnake sounds like you got a great deal and does sound fun. Featherplunkin I am also from the Northeast not as North as you but it is grate to know that there are no limitations around here for how cold you can run. Nitro is so picky its nice to know we have other Options instead of staying inside all winter waiting for it to get warmer to run our cars. Zonda as for makes of these things .I read once that Yankee was the MFG. It was the first large scale made by anyone. FG did a direct rip off it. Basically they took the yankee and put a fg sticker on it. Here is a pic of the yankee.carson attack. not a original car just re-badged copy of the Marder then carson sells it to everyone else.Just what I have read from other posters so far.But by looking at the copies I can believe that,Any way its great to know that more manufacturers are out now so we will have parts. and maybe a after market will kick in. smaerd58

Traveller 1:5 Gas Powered 2WD Off-Road Car -G230 RC engine
Carson Attack Buggy 2WD 1/6 Zenoah G230RC engine
Duratrax Firehammer 1:5 Scale Ready-To-Run 2WD Gas Powered Buggy 2-Stroke DTX 23cc Gas Engine
XTM 1/6 Scale Gas Powered Buggy with 23cc GAS engine
Old 01-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Featherpluckin

Morning all you 1/5 rc fans out there. Love my firehammer and yes the smartech and carson all seem to be the same car(msnt forget about the xtm version). Quick question though. Does anyone make aftermarket bodies that are different to fit. Would be nice to have somethinhg alongf the lines of a baja truck or something like that. At least something a bit more original would be great. Right now I have two bodies for my duratrax both the same exceptthe one Is blank so it gets to be my winter project. Now i just have to become artistic so I can actually paint something that looks good. Maybe its time toget the old vacum forming machine out of the moth balls but i dont think it would be big enough since it ran off a vacum cleaner(lol) was mostly used for making canopies and engine cowls when i used to scratch build planes. We will see(sounds like another winter project if i can get it up and running and it is big enough is there is anyone qwho wants to send some drawings of a cool body that would work and I use it I would be more then happy to vacuform one for you provided i can make something that big.

thanks again

Garry
Old 01-15-2005, 11:36 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

You can add another photo for Smartech. They now have a copy of the Big foot truck that FG makes!!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:52 AM
34Ford
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess Tower Hobbies is pretty much it for a Firehammer right?

I know you can buy one from your dealer but the price is the same I bet.
Which I guess is okay seeing your dealer will support you, "maybe".

All I know is, buying from Tower has always been very good for me the last 30 years.
Yea, Im a old fart.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Fire_hammer

Default RE: Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ???

I recently got the firehammer and over all am pleased with it. I was very impressed with the durability of this car. The only thing that I am disappointed with is the lack of info that can be found on the car.

When I researched the car I could not find out how fast it can go? All the ads would said is that it's fast, powerful and HUGE ! Well, thanks for stating the obvious. So I Purchased it based on the fact that it had a 2 cycle engine. I figured it should go at least 50 MPH out of the box, right? To be honest I don't think it does? I've adjusted the high speed needle and got it to run a little faster. But compared to my Savage .25 (stock) My savage is faster. I'm a little disappointed, however I do have a ray of hope. I'm hoping that I do not have tweeked properly. Can someone tell me if this is the case? Does anyone know the top speed of this car without redoing the exhaust or engine. I just want to know the base speed of the car and can do modifications later.

I got a small packet of info with the car but it doesn't recommend what octane of fuel to use. I assumed 83 the lowest so I wouldn't burn out the engine. Can I use a higher octane with the 2 cycle oil?

What's the setting for the high speed needle? The instructions say that "it may need a small adjustment" If that's the case then I am despointed for spending the cash. Too slow.

If I had to guess, it goes maybe 35 to 40?

As for snow, because it's 2 wheel drive it's hard to control. However if there is more than an inch the car get's stuck.

Any info that can be offered would be much appreciated !!!!

Thanks !
Old 01-28-2005, 04:06 PM
32Ford

I think the Firehammer is a nice car and probably would own one if it wasn'nt for the radio, servos and engine. It's a great entry level car, ie: someone who doesn't have that stuff laying around of a higher quality. Parts are cheap (price wise) and readily available. I don't care who copied who, it's about large scale and all brands. For me FG does it....Ford vs Chevy.....buy what you can afford and have fun.

Jim....
Old 01-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Featherpluckin

Havn't had any problem with getting mine stuck in the snow, and we have had lots believe me. By Monday though it is supposed to be 17C out of doors so I many get my first spring like drive in if the weather holds (amazing how fast it changes in this damn city). As for speed, have clocked mine on the road outside at 42 mph box stock. Has anyone tried using white gas (camp fuel) in the engine yet. Still havn't broken anything yet but i do wish there were some alloy parts available. So far I am happier then with any other large scale I have owned in the past and im geting used to that damn ugly body. Do wish it came sans radio equiptment though but oh well will put my hitec agressor in it and add the new Spektrum module when it comes out for the hitec in march. Well thats all for now anyways. Remember no matter what you drive the goal is to have fun, if it ain't fun your not doing it right.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Fire_hammer

I haven't tried the camp fuel yet either. From what I have read it seems it maybe a good alternative, I might try it to get more speed out of the car. I just got my car a few weeks ago so I'm not sure if the firehammer has a kit to turn it into a 4wdr buggy does anyone know this? If hit an inch or more of snow the Fire Hammer just digs itself in and gets stuck. I'm wondering if Featherpluckin has modified his Firehammer because he doesn't have this problem.

Does any one have any tips on keeping the servo's dry? Oh, any suggestions on adjusting the disc brake on the hammer? Shortly after I took it out of the box the brake will work only sometimes. I'm sure it's just an adjustment.
Knowning my luck I will make an adjustment and make it worse.

I will say this about the Firehammer, I was driving the car when it was 12 below 0 and crashed a couple of time and nothing broke ! After that, I stopped pushing my luck and waited for warmer temps.

Again any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks for your comments!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:12 PM
FGUK
Banned

Cheap Chinese version, low grade materials, low grade support.

Not a proper model car, a big toy.

Waste of money.

My opinion.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:55 PM
smaerd58

What is your basis for posting this? Do you own one of these or know someone that does?Or are you a FG owner that puts down any other manufacturers? This is a fun hobby and I hope with the less expensive brands that are popping up it will be easier for people to afford the large scale end of the hobby don't you think?smaerd58[:@]
Old 01-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Featherpluckin

Well just a few minutes before work so well ive got nothing to do. As for the question have i done anything special to be driving on snow, no Although I am working on a set of skis to replace the front wheels. I did drive on hard packed stuff though, not powder or the soft stuff. As for fguk well its not really worth getting into it with him. He has made these comments in other threads and still hasnt been able to back it up except to say its a copy, and its chinese. Frankly its stating to get boring to read. Althopugh this time he has accused duraterax of having poor customer service. WEll let me see they have a 1 year waranty on the stresstec parts, and a 3 year waranty on the engine not to mention one of the best and largest dealer networks in the industry (at least in North America I cant say about Europe or the Far East). Having perrsonally owned both fg vehicles, traxxas monster buggies, and now the firehammer (all having thier pros and cons) I think I have a better basis to make my opinion then just rumor propaganda and inuendo. Now for a question. Does anyone know if the fg beetle body will fit the fire hammer? Have fun guys & girls.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:55 AM
firehammers rule

thebeetle body will fit , buy the marder/monster beetle conversion kit ive seen it for around 300$us ill look to see where and ill post it in a new post the kit comes with the mb wheels and tires too
Old 01-29-2005, 05:24 AM
original.mb

Not a review but more an advert.-

FG all the way, sorry i had to say that cos my monster beetle is so much more than what i anticipated

firehammer mireshammer whats all the fuss we know it is a cheaper concept than fg get over it
Old 01-29-2005, 05:43 AM
jammingmc

ORIGINAL: chaduk

Not a review but more an advert.-

FG all the way, sorry i had to say that cos my monster beetle is so much more than what i anticipated

firehammer mireshammer whats all the fuss we know it is a cheaper concept than fg get over it
......aaahhh, yet another one who has overpaid for 1/5 scale. Sorry about your luck.

jamminGMC
Old 01-29-2005, 06:20 AM
OZ LST

I'm in Aust and paid $600 Au for my Smartech traveller 2nd hand (about $400US). I recently had to buy some parts for it, i got 8 bags of spares for $30Au ($20US), it has the G230RC zenoah motor. Parts-Shock shafts (4) $4, A-Arms -$6.
Overall i;m very happy with it. We don't have a supplier that i can find of FG over here.
Model eng's, sho is one of our bigger importers supports the smartech, and have a good array of parts ay redicously cheap prices.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:47 AM
lawnhawk

It seems as if all the people who paid unjustifiable amounts of money for the FG are going to put the Firehammer down.

This Firehammer is a solid unit, and as you can see, the ones who are knocking it are the ones who wish it was around when they forked out $1200+ for their FG.

WOULD HATE TO BE YOU GUYS!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:25 PM
34Ford
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I was considering the FG MB till I mentioned it to a track owner in Easley SC and he said that the guys who had bought FG's were selling them and had bought Firehammers.

Mainly because of no replacement parts.

Infact if you call here they have a FG for sale. http://www.hobbysc.com/

Anyway, now that I have found a Firehammer without the cheap radio and servos (called a XTM) I will buy one.
Also http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/index.html is selling conversion parts if you need them.

The biggest thing is Tower Hobbies sells these, not FG then this is a plus in my opinion. They make a big impact on buying stuff in the states.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Featherpluckin

Ok I Love my Firehammer I will admit it. But please dont put fgs down as a former fg owner they do have several advantages. Say for instance you are walking around and you notice your hip on your wallet side is beginning to hurt from that extra 500 bucks you have in it, hey fg will be happy to take it off your hands returning you to full health (they are great guys there). And who out there can beat their customer service I am absolutely amazed at how close they are to my front door. Just get in my car drive 300 miles to another province and over only one mountain range and my fg dealer will be happy to be of service that is if they are open? Also please dont forget fgs wonderfull lifetime warantee until you touch it. Now who can beat that. I will say it again as much as I enjoyed my fg I wont have anopther till they take care of thier pricing problems not to mention thier dealer distribution network customer service and quality control problems. Till then I will stick with my so called inferior Firehammer afterall I have a 1 year warantee on the plastic parts, a 3 year warantee on the engine. Spare parts only a five minute drive from my house, and duratrax has one of if not the best customer service departments in the industry. So fg owners close your eyes and open your minds because you are quickly being passed by(please do not try this while driving a real vehicle as you may crash and fg needs all the cuastomers they can get 1200 US out of).
Old 01-29-2005, 04:53 PM
32Ford

The bickering and bashing between the FG products and Duratrax is pointless and immature so lets just discuss the good points between the two. I'm tired of this Ford vs Chevy stuff and it is pointless. You Firehammer guys chose it for your reasons and us FG guys chose ours for our reasons. I personally chose FG because it is an established large scale car and the amount of factory hop-ups IE: front and rear disc brakes, tuned pipes, alloy up-grades and so on. I am sure you Firehammer owners will be looking to FG for some of the mentioned hop-ups before long and not all will fit. That was my reasoning for purchasing an FG product...."No Hassle Parts Fit and Available Now Hop-Ups". I did'nt pay any more for my new in box Beetle w/Zenoah G260 than you did for your Hammer and i bought it right here in the good ole USA too. This forum was a pleasure to come to and relax before the hammer came out and i find myself now skimming topics and missing some good info because of the bashing. The MODs should step in and enforce some rules.

Jim....
Old 01-29-2005, 05:07 PM
ammdrew

Marder suggested list 980 Firehammer suggested list 1200, seems like apples to apples they are about the same price - radio & radio gear.

So enough of that.

Firehammer is a fine product for what it is, a entry level large scale car, much like the Marder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.