Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

wet coil

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:56 PM
speedy.d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wet coil

does this happen to any of you guys out there that insist on running in less than perfect conditions? when i run in wet weather/ snow this is usually how our trucks die out we never know when its going to happen but it does. we can bring them in take hair dryer to the recoil cover and within minutes its back out to do it all over again. here is a link to a vid showing it as it happens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yst9EKXUy3w
Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 AM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

Default RE: wet coil

yup, just like that! i have some rigs that do it more then others. not sure if there is anything you can do about it.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 AM
speedy.d

its like hitting a light switch. what do the boat guys do?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 AM
kryptonite5b

i dont think their motor gets wet. but i have checked you tube and their are some funny vids of guys swimming back to the beach towing the boat with one hand...lol
Old 01-14-2009, 12:16 AM
speedy.d

good reason, swimming huh? i will stick with walking over and picking mine up! although sometimes it gets so wet around here i have considered putting pontoons on it!(or skis)!lol
Old 01-17-2009, 04:28 PM
looker2756

I would try putting something around the manual kill switch ( balloon ). This could help keep it running a bit longer. I've never had this happen, but also never got mine that wet either. Just something to try. I would guess it to be the kill switch more than the coil ?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:29 PM
kryptonite5b

see, im thinking that its more of the coil. water gets pulled in from the bottom by the fins and just coat the magnets for the coil... the worst place that has ever happened was on a frozen lake. it was starting to melt and had some big puddles. even though the ice was still 12" thick, it made made me nrvouse walking all the way out their
Old 01-17-2009, 05:37 PM
looker2756

Coating the magnets for the mag set-up with water will not stop the spark. Magnetic force will go through water & still trigger the ignition system. It almost has to be the plug wire letting the spark out early, or the manual kill switch being shorted inside by water. Reguardless, I would do some water proofing & see if it gets any better. This problem would be hard to determine for sure.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:53 PM
kryptonite5b

ya, i guess that was silly of me thinking magnets dont work under water... i was just thinking it wasnt the kill switch couse my 5b doesnt have one. and it still dies, just like his
Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM
speedy.d

thanks looker, i will give it a try. you should try getting yours wet its REALLY fun!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:57 PM
speedy.d

it could be getting in around where the plug wire screws into the coil.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:57 PM
looker2756

Here very soon it's time to get them out for some fun. We'll have to make it a group effort & see how many we can get going at once. Sound like a great time for sure ! We'll see if this problem happens to more of us. Maybe we can actually solve this mystery ...
Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 PM
speedy.d

that works, my buddy with that old firehammer has got it doing wheelies on demand. for as old as that truck is it rips! the jetpro and 26 does alright on that thing!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:35 PM
clubin

Seems more like a fuel tank vent got plugged, the snow plugs it rite away, I have been doing the snow thing for months now, that is the only issue is the tank vent, I don't think it is ignition. If by some chance it is get yourself some de-electric grease and coat the spade connectors on the coil and kill switch.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:40 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: speedy.d

its like hitting a light switch. what do the boat guys do?
If I remember correctly, I think the boat engines are 100% enclosed in the hull.

Yeah, I too have seen too many guys with boats stranded out in the middle of a lake or whatever. I even knew a guy who rigged an a-frame with hook made of coat hangers and mounted on the bow so that he could fly a heli out with a noose and line and hooc the a-frame of the boat and tow it in.

The most common reason why boats wind up stranded is either dead batts and the failsafe shutting them on or running out of gas
Old 01-17-2009, 06:44 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: kryptonite5b

ya, i guess that was silly of me thinking magnets dont work under water... i was just thinking it wasnt the kill switch couse my 5b doesnt have one. and it still dies, just like his
Something is shorting for sure, the magneto circuit somehow is either being grounded or the short is ocurring inside too. In either case, water is the medium to the short and why the plug is not getting a spark. I strongly suspect the short is occurring at the magneto even before the spark gets to the wiring to even go to the plug.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
speedy.d

i have treid a different coil, and it stll happens. my buddied firehammer seems to die more often than mine. im going to try insulating around the plug wire.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:56 PM
SAVAGEJIM

If you find a solution, please post and let us know.

I myself will daydream on this matter more, if I can come up with a solution or mod, I'll give a description.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:15 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a new Coil?..You might want to put on a better coil wire...when you do also use heat shrink at the coil to seal it..will
also help from pulling loose....Who knows when that coil wire was made and how long been sitting on a shelf...there subject too
pin holes....Just a thought...You can get a silacone cover for the kill switch...use die-electric grease on all your connectors.........
AKAslawhammer
Old 01-17-2009, 08:22 PM
clubin

I'll say it again, it is more than likely the fuel tank vent getting plugged. That has happened to me many times, but I have NEVER had a issue with a coil.

These picture's aren't that bad, you should have seen today. lol
Old 01-17-2009, 08:48 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: clubin

I'll say it again, it is more than likely the fuel tank vent getting plugged.
What was that? You'll have to say it again!

This vent, is it an area of low pressure or high pressure? If it is low pressure, I can see how snow gets into it. If it is high pressure, the snow will simply blow away.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 AM
speedy.d

if you notice in the vid the engine dies right at the big splash, i can run in snow without much problem. it is puddles that kick my butt.my first move is going to be in the kill switch department. if that doesnt help i will look at the tank.
when i do the kill switch i will also insulate around where the plug wire screws in
Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 AM
bsrman14
Banned

Rust on the coil and magnito could be the culperate.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:59 PM
looker2756

When you talk of running in bad conditions check this race out. What an interesting 24 hours !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5hME...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCuy7...eature=related
Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: bsrman14

Rust on the coil and magnito could be the culperate.
Rust is not the reason why his RC is killing itself when he hits the puddle. If rust or corrosion were the problem, the RC would not even start at all (just like an oxidizing corroded batt post in your car will either not geive you enough juice to start your car or provide no electricity at all to your c ar).

In his case, there isnt enough rust to make his RC stop, it is shorting out for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.