Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Ofna Alum servo arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ofna Alum servo arms

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHZE3

For my FG with dual steering servos, I used these Ofna alum arms with servo saver buttons for my steering servos. BIG MISTAKE! Once these servo saver buttons give, they are stripped and are FUBAR. Besides, the FG already has a spring loaded servo saver built into the servo block.

Needless to say I am going to hit up FG Supply, DDM, and LargeScale RC for new servo arms.

What servo arms do you guys like to use? I know I will not use servosaver button arms ever again on the 5th scale steering servos.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 AM
associatedrules

Default RE: Ofna Alum servo arms

Thanks for letting me know, I was really considering get those for both my nitro touring cars and my 5th scale.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I use these for 8th scales, in Savages. They are okay in those, and even easier to replace on a Savage. But in an FG (or FG clone like the Smartech Firehammer resold by Durtrax), changing the servo saver button sucks.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 AM
bsrman14
Banned

You must usre the FG servo saver only. The smaller servo savers that fit direct to the servo are only for 1/4 scale servos 200 oz max. The Fg Mt needs larger servo.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yes, I know that, that is what I said in my VERY FIRST POST!

Of course, I am using a servo for 5th scale. Two of them as a matter of fact. Otherwise, how did I even mount them into the electronics tray? Only large scale servos will fit in the steering servo holes in that tray
Old 01-15-2009, 10:56 PM
jimjeep

SAVAGEJIM,

What do you mean by buttons? Are they spline adapters to fit into the servo horn to mount it onto different makes of servos? If so it would be better to get a horn made for your specific brand of servo which will have the correct spline machined into the aluminum so that its one solid piece. You can get ones made by FG the part numbers are here >>

http://www.fgmodellsport.com/fg-news...-08-empfVK.pdf

Just be sure to order the right one. For instance JR servos have a 23 spline count, Hitec/Multiplex use 24 splines, and Futaba uses 25.

Personally, I think it's a big conspiricy to get us to buy more servo horns. I wish they were just all the same spline! Just as bad as the freekin electrical connectors!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:00 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, I agree. I think its horrible that there is no industry standard as far as servo spline count goes. I wish they would all get on the ball and go with one spline count.

The little buttons are little nylon adaptors that go on top of the servo splines and into the larger recess on the Ofna horn. In the pic of the link, you will see the 3 little round "buttons" with splines. Those are disposable, because when the slip for over-torquing, they strip and are useless (they must be replaced).
Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 PM
jimjeep

Yep, and they don't sell bags of the little buggers seperately. I'm lucky in that my Hitec 5745 came with a good aluminum horn.
If you can't locate a vendor for the FG ones maybe IMEX, Integy, or GH have a good solid one.

What brand servo are you fitting it to? I can try searching a couple of distributors over the weekend and if I find some I'll post a few pics with the part numbers.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

It is a Hitec, HS 5745. On one of my FGs, I took the little blue alum single blade horns from my 5995 TG servos and used those for the steering. No nylon to slip on, and as I said, I learned my leson the hard way: only rely on the servosaver built into the steering block.