Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

build own MT

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
wan6176

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default build own MT

any link where i can build my own MT? parts where about i can get?
Old 01-24-2009, 03:28 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: build own MT

Other than custom fabricating your own parts, I dont know where you can get parts to built a gas MT with existing OEM parts. It might be possible to take a Baja 5T and convert that from a CORR type truck into an MT, I guess going with the MT wheels with squares and using adaptors to get the 5T to mount the MT wheels would be a first step.

Then redoing the suspension is a must, changing the geometry such that the arms ride higher and he MT wheel will clear the shell and side splash guards.
Also, if possible, going with 8 shocks might be best to absorb big jumps. If you double up on the stock HPI 5T shocks (having 8 total), I suggest you go with a lighter weight shock oil, one that is a quarter less or a 3rd less in oil weight. As for springs, I dont know. Maybe some with a K constant (Hooke's elastic constant) that is a quarter less or a third less than the stock 5T's K constant.

Of course, mounting 8 shocks will definitely require modding the arms to mount 8 shocks and the shock towers too to also mount the upper ends of the 8 shocks.

As for the arms, I have no clue if the 5T's arms can be raised up at a steeper angle for increased ground clearance under the belly.

MTs also typically are 4WD, I do not know of an easy way to convert a 5B or 5T into 4WD. Alot of fab work would be required.

Also, many MTs are multi-speed (2speed & 3speed). Well, I am thinking of Nitro MTs. I dont think Gasser MTs come in multi-speed. But if you want multi-speed, I guess you can buy the FG 2speed gear set, get optional gears to get good gear ratios you want, and try to make that fit into the Baja gear box. Unfortunately, you will have to get gear axles of the correct length with face facets cut in the proper places or else it is a failure.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:47 AM
splcrazy

they are so intelligent at inventing 2 speed and 3 speed gearboxes for thier HPI nitro MT'S but when it comes to large scale they take the easiest and simple wayout with single speed direct drive . Its a disgrace that hpi will not even try or want to try making a 2 or 3 speed for thier next large scale HPI gasser , so nah here you go enjoy your 5T that is similar to the first one lol
Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 AM
bsrman14
Banned

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

they are so intelligent at inventing 2 speed and 3 speed gearboxes for thier HPI nitro MT'S but when it comes to large scale they take the easiest and simple wayout with single speed direct drive . Its a disgrace that hpi will not even try or want to try making a 2 or 3 speed for thier next large scale HPI gasser , so nah here you go enjoy your 5T that is similar to the first one lol
It's all about the $$$$$. How much profit and how cheap they can make it to sell to YOU.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:37 PM
wan6176

well as i thought if the original hpi front lower arm is estimated to be 15mm long & front upper arm is estimated to be 10mm
den i would maybe extend it to be lower arm is estimated to be 20mm long n front upper arm is estimated to be 15mm
i would just add 5mm extra & it should be ok to be above ground wen the tyre touch down.
as for savage wat he said is true abt the MT wheels with squares and using adaptors to get the 5T to mount the MT wheels would be a first step.so that i can change the rim n wheel into bigger tyres.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:09 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: bsrman14

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

It's all about the $$$$$. How much profit and how cheap they can make it to sell to YOU.
As for a 2speed gearset being expensive, I agree, they are not cheap. For example, the FG 2speed costs more than $200 USD just to buy the upgrade. But also bear in mind that this is made in Germany out of high quality materials, so the materials and manufactuing costs are high, thus the price.

But as for HPI making a 5th scale 2speed option, They should be able to make it cheaply, they make it all in Taiwan. Taiwan has labor and manufacting costs that are just a little more than making something in mainland china. So, I really believe that it is possible for HPI to make such an upgrade that would cost in the $100-$150 USD range for the end user.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:12 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: wan6176

well as i thought if the original hpi front lower arm is estimated to be 15mm long & front upper arm is estimated to be 10mm
den i would maybe extend it to be lower arm is estimated to be 20mm long n front upper arm is estimated to be 15mm
i would just add 5mm extra & it should be ok to be above ground wen the tyre touch down.
as for savage wat he said is true abt the MT wheels with squares and using adaptors to get the 5T to mount the MT wheels would be a first step.so that i can change the rim n wheel into bigger tyres.
That sounds possible, but I am not 100% sure. I am going to my local RC store today later on, and I will have a look at the 5Bs and 5Ts on display as well as the replacement suspension parts for each. This should give me an idea of what suspension mods would be possible to give proper clearance for MT tires and give the buggy-converted-to-MT the desired MT stance.