RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

what should i get

Old 01-24-2009, 10:15 AM
pagani77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default what should i get

im looking at getting a 5th scale truck it is going to be used for bashing i like the baja 5t any others i should consider
Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 AM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: what should i get

redcat rampage
Old 01-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Beasley1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The baja 5t is a bad machine. Get it if you can afford it.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 AM
clubin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

redcat rampage
I second that with a few upgrades it will still be cheaper than the HPI and it will be 4wd. 4wd rules. Realy sucks that HPI makes a 5t "truck" and it is not 4wd.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 AM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i vote redcat, these things will out handle any 5b/t. the bajas are cool but they are not the best hanling car out there. for the cost of a 5b/t you could have a pretty trick redcat!

ORIGINAL: clubin

redcat rampage
I second that with a few upgrades it will still be cheaper than the HPI and it will be 4wd. 4wd rules. Realy sucks that HPI makes a 5t "truck" and it is not 4wd.
the guys that have already mentioned redcat have been around this hobby for a while,they wouldnt steer you in the wrong direction
Old 01-25-2009, 10:01 AM
hellya

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

redcat rampage
What sucks is that they charge about $500 more for the 5t than the 5b and the only difference is a bunch of plastic parts and a different body...not $500 worth of a difference thats for sure.

Rampage gets my vote too
Old 01-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Dirby

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

get a 5B and a good three ch radio with a good kill switch.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

redcat rampage
For bashing, considering price and features, the Rampage is hard to beat. If he goes Rampage, I personally suggest the MT version, even though the buggy is about $100 USD less. I am biased towards the MT because of the bigger wheels and wider shance and the MT feel. But if he wants a nimble buggy because of its maneuverability, then that would be the RC for him.

As for the 5T still being 2WD, I too wish it were 4WD. Since the 5T is a CORR type truck based on the 5B, I guess it is not a true MT.
I wonder if HPI is brewing up a 5th scale 4WD true MT? If so, I hope they are scaling up the Savage and making the appropriate mods to get it all to work.

The company that I am most curious about as far as 5th scales is Traxxas! They at one time had a 5th scale, but they quit selling it. I wonder why they do not re-release it, or update it and put it back on the shelves?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:50 AM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

redcat rampage
For bashing, considering price and features, the Rampage is hard to beat. If he goes Rampage, I personally suggest the MT version, even though the buggy is about $100 USD less. I am biased towards the MT because of the bigger wheels and wider shance and the MT feel. But if he wants a nimble buggy because of its maneuverability, then that would be the RC for him.

As for the 5T still being 2WD, I too wish it were 4WD. Since the 5T is a CORR type truck based on the 5B, I guess it is not a true MT.
I wonder if HPI is brewing up a 5th scale 4WD true MT? If so, I hope they are scaling up the Savage and making the appropriate mods to get it all to work.

The company that I am most curious about as far as 5th scales is Traxxas! They at one time had a 5th scale, but they quit selling it. I wonder why they do not re-release it, or update it and put it back on the shelves?

wasnt the traxxas buggy just a smartech? if hpi releases a 4wd mt in 1/5 scale it will set the 1/5 scale world on its ear. i have heard that there will be a 4wd class at the diggers dungeon this year.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:37 PM
pagani77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks but what about fg i have heard good reviews on them
Old 01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
speedy.d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

they are pretty tuff, unless you are looking to their new 4wd (kinda pricey) then you are looking at 2wd. even though they are really good you would still be limited to 2wd. for what you pay for a stock fg you could have a killer redcat truck or buggy.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: speedy.d

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

wasnt the traxxas buggy just a smartech? if hpi releases a 4wd mt in 1/5 scale it will set the 1/5 scale world on its ear. i have heard that there will be a 4wd class at the diggers dungeon this year.
I'm not sure about the Traxxas one, I only saw a pic of it, and even before seing the pick, I didnt even knew it existed.

As for 4WD class at the diggers dungeron, you can bet that Redcats will have huge represntation there since many have that truck and buggy. I bet some FR comp (4WD) MTs and buggies as well as MCDs and also Smartechs will make an apperance too, but other than that, these are the only trucks that I predict will appear.

I didnt even hear about this, if you find out more, please post back. I definitely am curious.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:16 PM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you imagine how much an HPI 4x4 MT would cost[X(] the rampage buggy is only $100 more than a savage XL [sm=confused_smile.gif]I reckon they've left it too late to get the mass sales they'd need to make it affordable.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:49 AM
mcspanners

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have you considered an mcd baja 1000?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 AM
monsterbrad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You guys that have the rampage 4wd
How fast is it though?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:54 AM
pagani77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah i heard of the baja 1000 but cant find reviews on it
Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM
str8jailbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I actually just received an return email from Chris Freeman at HPI. I asked if there were any rumors to HPI marketing a 1/5 4X4 (like they would really let the cat out of the bag) and he told me "no". I have to agree with him when he said that after you figure in the engineering and design changes alnog with R&D a 1/5 4X4 from HPI would be in the $2000.00 range US currency. That is a lot of Baja 5B upgrades!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, there will be a 4x4 class at Diggers Dungeon this year on Memorial day. LargeScaleRC and RampageHopUps are sponsoring the Buggy and Truck classes. As soon as a flier is available, I will post it here.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:08 PM
pagani77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks
Old 01-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Dan H

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hellya

redcat rampage
What sucks is that they charge about $500 more for the 5t than the 5b and the only difference is a bunch of plastic parts and a different body...not $500 worth of a difference thats for sure.

Rampage gets my vote too
Well, its more like $350 more than the standard 5B but it has nearly all the SS upgrades included along with the bigger engine.

With that said though. I'm looking at the Rampage 4x4 MT sometime in the future to compliment my Baja SS.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

only thing with the redcat brand is ,you are buying it expecting its arms are to break easily or some parts to break.price is good but arent you gonna end up spending a lot of $$ fixing or buying parts?would you rather get a pricey one that prolly would break after a couple of gallons rather than a cheap one that needs upgrade right out of the box?
another thing about redcat is if its parts are guaranteed easily available?i also heard that rampage is coming out with a truggy is that true?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:31 AM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just boil the arms and uprights/hubs, the bumpers and body posts and they wont break..only parts i broke were the ones i didn't boil...fr bumper and body mount. Rampage does need some work out the box but everthing does and the redcat parts don't cost much compared to others.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 AM
str8jailbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: badboy2

only thing with the redcat brand is ,you are buying it expecting its arms are to break easily or some parts to break.price is good but arent you gonna end up spending a lot of $$ fixing or buying parts?would you rather get a pricey one that prolly would break after a couple of gallons rather than a cheap one that needs upgrade right out of the box?
another thing about redcat is if its parts are guaranteed easily available?i also heard that rampage is coming out with a truggy is that true?
C'mon, really? I bought a brand new Baja 5B SS and it needed upgrades as well. Granted it ran thru a few tanks before I broke anything but I did break stuff. That's part of the hobby. Everything that you buy out there, short of a completely titanium made vehicle is gonna break, new or not. Some are more prone than others but it is all in the hobby. That's the best part of this hobby, upgrading and modding your rc's to make them fit you. That's why I love it.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:41 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Redcat parts are available all over the US and Canada now. I still think its the best deal out there, with the most support of the 4x4s in the lower end of the market. Alot of the Baja dealers are jumping on board, so it will only get better this year.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 AM
pagani77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so what about the mcd baja 1000 is it any good

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service