RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

80 MPH FG Baja(Miami Street)

Old 01-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Miami Jato

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 80 MPH FG Baja(Miami Street)

I know you guys have probably seen my baja do 71-74mph, It's gotten alot faster since then. It actually did 83mph but I didn't have the camera on at the time. Figures, well, anyway, let me know what you think? Pardon the quality, it was shot with a camera phone. Also, this is a picture of the car that did it. [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCb8fbINEjs[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74168.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1119812  
Old 01-26-2009, 01:35 AM
da mad maori

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 80 MPH FG Baja(Miami Street)

WOW thats FAST!!!!!
well done
Old 01-26-2009, 01:48 AM
sheograth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice [&:]
Old 01-26-2009, 02:54 AM
Mazda ute

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats crazy.What gearing are you running in that buggy? and did you use NOS or race fuel?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Mazda ute

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dub post
Old 01-26-2009, 05:17 AM
tom111

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow!!! That awesome, you probably need a parachute to brake it…
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 AM
rhylsadar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that baja sure is fast! [8D]

however people that understand more of physics and measuring technology than i do keep telling me that those radar guns and also gps systems have big failure rates when trying to measure the speed of small vehicles like rc models. so i am personally very cautious to "believe" such numbers.

but yeah who cares about numbers. its freakin fast.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whoo boy! just to even hit 70MPH, what gearing are you using?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, Ive been there on a few occasions where our cars have pulled speeds that were consistent with police calibrated radar. No, not our guns calibrated by police but actual cops clocking our cars. And on many occasions, our radars actually read a few MPHs less than what the cops radar said, so we'll take the lower of the two. MiamiJatos Baja pulled some 83 MPH runs and my other buddies Baja pulled some 79s. Either way you look at them, watching a 30lb vehicle coming at you at anything faster than 70, its something to see. I'll see if I can fetch my video of my 87MPH sportline and post that. That was done with 2 guns and it should be big enough not to have the "physics and measuring technology" affect it as much.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rhylsadar

that baja sure is fast! [8D]

however people that understand more of physics and measuring technology than i do keep telling me that those radar guns and also gps systems have big failure rates when trying to measure the speed of small vehicles like rc models. so i am personally very cautious to "believe" such numbers.

but yeah who cares about numbers. its freakin fast.

bye
rhylsadar
GPS use satalite, and are a very reliable source for speed info..
Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 AM
rhylsadar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just don't get me wrong. i personally do not car much about all this measuring stuff. however i am not fully dumb i understand how gps and other stuff works in principle. nevertheless some people say that radar guns have big difficulties to measure such small things like a rc car. that may include the police radar gun.

and for the gps. suppose the gps system receives new data every 5sec. with 80mph you go for around 180m in 5sec. but as you don't know exactly when those 5sec start you need to go at least say 10 sec full speed to be sure you include a full correct interval to measure. the rc car does nearly 400m in this time frame. thats a freakin long distance do control an rc car going that fast. even if you stand perfectly in the middle of the distance 200m each side. 200m is hard to see and control your car even if you have a very good radio that may do it and the eyes of an eagle. second problem seems to be that there are many interferences the closer you come to the surface. very near to the surface the interferences are getting bigger because of obstacles standing in the way of those satelites being far away and quite flate over the horizon. the probability of an interuption of your satelite interconnection rises closer to the ground. if the interconnection is interupted for a short time you need to go even for a longer time full speed. there are also local differences in the reliability of gps signals.

even if the system gets data in a shorter time interval there are still some sources of innaccuracy that you can hardly control.

but there may be places and gps systems that exclude most if not all of those problems and the measurement is perfectly correct.

so i only wanted to point out that there MAY be some difficulties and failures with the measuring of the speed of rc cars.

the most realiable thing would probably be a light barrier system.

i don't want to question anybodies measurements. i just have some doubts sometimes when i see all those crazy speed readings. i mean in general not the specific one above. my feeling is most rc cars are much slower in reality than it seems when you just look at them.

bye
rhylsadar

Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
srt10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So its not your friends but you who doubt the speeds... GPS refresh in less than one second and are very accurate even 6" off the ground, and if anything by what your are saying the speeds of these cars would actually be higher than what these gps systems are reading.... I'm all for 30lb 80mph missles!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 AM
savagecommander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, use the truck parked as an example. 80mph is 117 feet per second, and just by eyeballing id say hes pretty close to that. why doesnt somebody just get some light sensors,wire in a stopwatch, 2 laser pointers and 100 feet of wire. first laser gets broken, clock starts, second laser broken, clock stops.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
rhylsadar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@srt10
i don't get it what your problem is now. writing bold in a forum means something like "shouting". so please stop shouting at me. thx.
you may also read what i wrote.

i don't want to question anybodies measurements. i just have some doubts sometimes when i see all those crazy speed readings. i mean in general not the specific one above.
that baja may well do 80mph. i don't care. i am also pretty sure most people try to measure the speed of their rc cars as good as they can. i do not question their honest attitude.
i just dared to mention that there may be some measurement failures. if you say there are no problems at all. then be it. as i said i am not an expert on this. i guess you are right?

bye
rhylsadar

Old 01-27-2009, 12:44 PM
srt10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If your looking to fight, please go somewhere else... please leave this thread clean for others to enjoy..
Old 01-27-2009, 12:57 PM
srt10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Miami Jato

I know you guys have probably seen my baja do 71-74mph, It's gotten alot faster since then. It actually did 83mph but I didn't have the camera on at the time. Figures, well, anyway, let me know what you think? Pardon the quality, it was shot with a camera phone. Also, this is a picture of the car that did it. [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCb8fbINEjs[/link]
Love the paint job! let us know when you get another video of your Land Rocket!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Miami Jato

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

More video coming soon, thanks............
Old 01-27-2009, 01:39 PM
MiamizFinest

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rhylsadar

@srt10
i don't get it what your problem is now. writing bold in a forum means something like "shouting". so please stop shouting at me. thx.
you may also read what i wrote.

i don't want to question anybodies measurements. i just have some doubts sometimes when i see all those crazy speed readings. i mean in general not the specific one above.
that baja may well do 80mph. i don't care. i am also pretty sure most people try to measure the speed of their rc cars as good as they can. i do not question their honest attitude.
i just dared to mention that there may be some measurement failures. if you say there are no problems at all. then be it. as i said i am not an expert on this. i guess you are right?

bye
rhylsadar

If you are no expert, then please don't act like your one enjoy the thread and please dont try to bring other down becuase that is what it honestly sounds like to me and im sure other would agree

Ive seen this car run MANY MANY TIMES, and i will confirm this is a 83 MPH FG baja, sunday we are planning an outting and we will be get some awsome UNEDITED video for the douters!!
Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 PM
srt10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You Miami guys have some of the fastest rc cars and trucks on youtube ! Bring us more vids, cuz most of us on rcuniverse love seeing them... again great job guys!
Old 01-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

rhylsadar, these guys have been doing this for years, and always get the same inaccuracy comments whenever they post these vids. I tell you what, go to a full scale car site and tell the people racing Vipers and hot imports that they aren't really doing the speeds they claim cos car speedos are rarely accurate. The radar gunsd these guys are using are far more accurate at these lower speeds. A 5% difference on a 190mph run, is 10mph, yet you don't see these kinds of comments. Lastly, SRT10, I'm afraid GPS isn't very accurate at this scale over these short distances. The only truly accurate measure is a speed trap, but in the absence of those a radar gun is as good as it gets.

Leave the 'accuracy' things at home folks, these guys are the real deal, and are sick of hearing it. It's funny, people make a claim, so people shout 'VIDEO!', so they make a video, then poeple shout 'RADAR!' so they make a video with radar. The only thing left to shout is 'SPEED TRAP!', but by then everyone's too bored.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Foxy, I couldnt have said it better my self. Thanks

Like Foxy said, we've been doing it for years and the reason we are where we are is because we push each other to do so. Its all a friendly thing. I billybob does 70, I have to do 71 and now since I did 71, he had to do 72 and it goes from there. You can best believe thats only the first of many videos of these 1/5th scales to come. And they'll just get faster and faster and we'll just continue to hear the same thing.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:05 PM
srt10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Foxy! and those videos are great even though I did'nt see a gps.. Ahhhh! just kiding. Wow 70+mph is nuts, my stock 5B gets me 38mph and I thought that was fun! Looking forward to more vids from the Miami guys...
Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 PM
MiamizFinest

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Foxy

rhylsadar, these guys have been doing this for years, and always get the same inaccuracy comments whenever they post these vids. I tell you what, go to a full scale car site and tell the people racing Vipers and hot imports that they aren't really doing the speeds they claim cos car speedos are rarely accurate. The radar gunsd these guys are using are far more accurate at these lower speeds. A 5% difference on a 190mph run, is 10mph, yet you don't see these kinds of comments. Lastly, SRT10, I'm afraid GPS isn't very accurate at this scale over these short distances. The only truly accurate measure is a speed trap, but in the absence of those a radar gun is as good as it gets.

Leave the 'accuracy' things at home folks, these guys are the real deal, and are sick of hearing it. It's funny, people make a claim, so people shout 'VIDEO!', so they make a video, then poeple shout 'RADAR!' so they make a video with radar. The only thing left to shout is 'SPEED TRAP!', but by then everyone's too bored.

Man i couldnt have sayed it better my self, there is always that one guy on RCU that thinks he knows more than the next in all situations.

For the record the radar guns we are useing are the bushnell's sports which are actually designed to pick up the speed of baseballs..............if they can acturatly pick up the speed of a baseball being such a small object i think a 30 pound baja isnt too small for it![X(]
Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 PM
rhylsadar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@miamizfinest
i didn't try to bring anyone down at all.

i am pretty sure the thread starter totally understood what was meant by my comment. he may have ignored it because he is too bored to explain why all those "problems" do not occure in their case. i have absolutely no problem with that. and if i tried to act "like an expert" i would not point out in every second sentence that i am not.

@foxy
it seems i just catched the wrong thread. it was just something i wanted to mention once in one of those "speed threads". seems i randomly just picked the one where the most serious people are at work. so i repeat again: it was a general comment on measuring problems with rc cars. nothing more and nothing less. i thought that may be quite on topic in a "80mph baja thread". seems that is not the case. thats ok with me.

the only one that got emotional was srt10 even though its not his thread here and not his cars being discussed.

so no hard feelings here. i enjoy watching rc videos like anybody else.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 01-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No worries bud, you're right, you just picked the wrong guys. Under other circumstances I would be as sceptical as you. In case anyone's wondering, cos SerpentKing doesn't like to brag about it (which is very modest of him, as I would be bragging about it in his position), his username 'Got to 100 now die hating', is a testament to all the people years ago who called him out and dissed him while he was trying to get smaller scale cars to hit 100mph under NITRO power. He eventually did it, quite a long while ago, with an HPI RS4 racer 2 no less, and his username has been that ever since. 100mph from a nitro is something else. Keep up the good work guys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service