RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

do large scale break easier???

Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default do large scale break easier???

i may buy my 1st large scale RC this summer. will probly get the cheapest, like the KM baja.
i know that the performance of a cheaper may not match that of a more expensive model, but what i want to know is if it will be more likely to break??

iv looked at youtube vids but most ive seen dont show huge jumps or hard running, like i used to do with my rustler vxl.
can they take the bashing a electric RC can take?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: do large scale break easier???

Yes they do (break more easily and more spectacularly), and no they don't (hold up like a lightweight electric). Still, you can see some pretty big hits on my main profile vid on youtube (see sig), no damage was done. Also look for a youtube vid vid called baja 5b hard bashing. That'll surprise you. They are not as strong as smller scale cars though, 1/8th buggies are the toughest cars in the hobby. However, the larger scale cars tend to be driven by older hobbyists, who have not only more respect, but also more experience driving, so accidents are less and similarly less risks are taken. After all a simple knock can easily put you out a couple hundred dollars. It's a simple matter of physics, more mass equals more force equals more breakage. Don't let that put you off though. A 3ft car wiehging 25lb plus, doing 40mph or even a lot more, is well worth it.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 PM
sheograth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Like foxy said, a heavier object has more inertia and kinetic energy, so a crash is more devastating for a given speed.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Miami Jato

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah, you guys are right, although I've had a crash in the baja, they strangely hold up pretty well, with the body on.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Knock on wood, have yet to total any of my gassers, where I have totalled my Savages several times (I lost count actually)

Considering the cost of Gassers and getting parts to repair them, I definieltly do not look forward to totallying my 5th scales.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:18 AM
Mudgy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Like foxy said, a heavier object has more inertia and kinetic energy, so a crash is more devastating for a given speed.
yep, you mean momentum, there, right?

percentage of risks taken is probably inversely proportional to the cost of the vehicle!

Have fun, but be careful with these things....make sure your radios and failsafes are always in tip-top order
Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 AM
sheograth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Momentum as well, but it they also have more inertia and therefore more kinetic energy while traveling. [&:]
Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 AM
bsrman14
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

i may buy my 1st large scale RC this summer. will probly get the cheapest, like the KM baja.
i know that the performance of a cheaper may not match that of a more expensive model, but what i want to know is if it will be more likely to break??

iv looked at youtube vids but most ive seen dont show huge jumps or hard running, like i used to do with my rustler vxl.
can they take the bashing a electric RC can take?
Parts are more expensive and the quality of the cheaper RTR are poor. Quality does come with a price.[8D]
Old 01-28-2009, 07:29 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mudgy

ORIGINAL: sheograth

yep, you mean momentum, there, right?
Yes, well both. An object moving at speed has Both Momentum and Kinetic Energy. It's just that when calculating what is happening, you would have to know which to use: Momentum for Impulse or Kinetic Energy for Work.

So, lets explore why a heavy 5th scale gasser would take considerably more damage at speed.
Both Momenta and Kinetic energy will exert exponential forces at higher speeds upon a crash or impact. I know, momenta is a linear function, strictly first order where Kinetic energy is a 2nd order function (a squared function). Momentum will exihibit exponential forces too, and this is how: You have to look an momentum in the Impulse-Momenta theorum. Impulse has force as one of its factors, and force contains acceleration. And acceleration is a 2nd order function (a squared function) when calculating in terms of a straight line variable.

So, when a heavy RC moving at a given speed with a given momentum it strikes an objct (say a tree) and comes to a stop, the time it takes to come to a stop is also expressed in the Impulse part of the Impulse-momentum theorem. So, for such a very very short time that the RC is stopped by the impact, to equal the momentum it had when it was moving just before it hit the tree, a very very high force must be exerted on the RC.

And this is where the saying "It is not the crash that kills you, it is the very suddon stop" comes from.

So, tying this into the original question, a much heavier RC will have both a significantly higher momentum AND kinetic energy. And at speed, that RC must absorb significantly higher forces, thus for the mechanical performance of alum alloys (6061 & 7075, treated to various tempers) and for the plastics used, the forces that our heavier 5th scale gassers will take from a crash will be significantly more than say an 8th scale that had the same crash at the same speed.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:22 PM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if you do a few necessary upgrades they're pretty tough, here's a vid of my sunday rampage bash session...I'll post a new thread with my fgbaja session shortly.
[link]http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/ww294/mooman007uk/?action=view&current=rampagebashsession.flv[/link]
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nice vid.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:47 AM
str8jailbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

if you do a few necessary upgrades they're pretty tough, here's a vid of my sunday rampage bash session...I'll post a new thread with my fgbaja session shortly.
[link]http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/ww294/mooman007uk/?action=view&current=rampagebashsession.flv[/link]
What upgrades are the few you have? I am ordering a Rampage MT this coming weeek to compliment My Baja SS. So far I have the steel Ramtech gears on the list as well as the Hitec 5745, Upgrade kit from Rampage hopups, Sending my SS pipe for the mod, HPI high response springs (clutch) but that is it for now. Anything else to think of from the stock form without going to the "super modified" which I am sure will happen in time as it has with my SS?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:34 AM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You got it pretty much covered for starters....make sure you green loctite all the dogbone pins, boil all your plastic parts and get another th/br servo.
I got what you mention + the phatdad shock kits fr/rear, ramtech 20% springs, alloy gear plate, alloy chassis brace and servo mount, 28.5 oneills race ported top end w/stuffed crank, 2 5745's coming for dual steering and mcd plastic gears and 813 carb(not on yet)...next is the sprint dom mod pipe...I might be selling my ss mod pipe he did.
It doesn't need anything else...great trucks with a few mods they're real tough. Just in the middle of making some limiting straps to stop the shocks popping rod ends.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:12 PM
str8jailbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

You got it pretty much covered for starters....make sure you green loctite all the dogbone pins, boil all your plastic parts and get another th/br servo.
I got what you mention + the phatdad shock kits fr/rear, ramtech 20% springs, alloy gear plate, alloy chassis brace and servo mount, 28.5 oneills race ported top end w/stuffed crank, 2 5745's coming for dual steering and mcd plastic gears and 813 carb(not on yet)...next is the sprint dom mod pipe...I might be selling my ss mod pipe he did.
It doesn't need anything else...great trucks with a few mods they're real tough. Just in the middle of making some limiting straps to stop the shocks popping rod ends.
How do the MCD gears compare to the Ramtech steel gears? I have a spare Hitec 645mg, not sure if that will do it for the throttle/brake. It worked great on my SS until I installed the front cable brakes then I upgraded to a Hitec7955tg. I already contacted Sprint77 about the SS mod since I have one laying on the shelf. Can't beat it for $20! I was thinking of the blue aluminum gear plate teamed with so TFE bearings for a longer gear life and smoother running but that will come later. I'm all about boiling some plastic! Worked great for my LST2 arms. Matter of fact the only arms I ever broke on it were from driver error (WOT into a 10 curb, something had to break). I commonly land 15-20 foot drops from the tops of the slate dumps and they have never broke (yet anyway). I am really looking forward to the Rampage MT being added to my fleet. Just a little upset that so many seem to break the bodies on them so easily. I'm ordering it with the clear body because I am very partial to my cobalt blue/yellow paint schemes. Maybe this one I'll do yellow/cobalt blue accents???? Either way I am STOKED!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 PM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the 645 is working for me at the moment...locks the brakes a cinch...the rampage brakes work really well with little force required.
I got the sprint ss special not the manifold, it'll make big power cos he extended the mid section for more volume and low/mid power..still waiting for the postman but here's a pic he sent me of it. I only want to go the dom mod way as it's way better protected which will suit my driving style
Old 01-30-2009, 01:24 AM
Gas jocky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got one of Sprints modded Doms, all I can say is it's a huge improvement. Loads of bottom end so next time out I will gear it up a notch or two!
Made a comparison vid of the modded Dom vs a stock gutted can..have a look!

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...sprintsdom.flv

Then the next day with the same trucks but one with a Redcat tuned pipe modded by Sprint vs Sprint's Dominator!

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...sDominator.flv