RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

5T Clone

Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 PM
MadManAndrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 5T Clone

First off, I know many people think that clones are immoral, and i do too, I personally would HATE to have some chinese company come in and sell my product for half as much, but I really just can't afford an HPI baja.

How long did it take before 5B clones started popping up?How much could I expect a 5T clone to cost?Anybody heard anything on it?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 5T Clone

That could be one of the most self contradicting statements I have ever heard
I personally would HATE to have some chinese company come in and sell my product for half as much, but I really just can't afford an HPI baja. How much could I expect a 5T clone to cost?
I haven't heard anything and hope that I won't.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:16 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dont like clones either, its just one of the economic tactics they do, not necessarily on purpose, to undermine the original companies.

But I think I already saw a chinese clone 5T. I knew they would be out there sooner or later. But for them to make landfall in the US is another story. HPI can only do so much to make lawsuits under existing laws, and they can go after guys who import them in, but unless the chinese cloners exploit a loop hole, like going through a reseller, it will be some time before they get to the US.

If you must have one now, the only way to get one is to go where they are made directly, China. Buy one there under the Yaun and it will literally be dirt cheap (no customes fees, no costs of distributors, no cost tacked on by the in states reseller, just straight up from China). According to law, from what I understand, it is not legal to import certain clones for the purpose of sales and profit, but there are no laws against actually owning one. As far as bringing it in with you, I have no clue how that works.

I personally say dont do anything rash like that, instead save up, and not only that, I am pretty sure HPI will also steadly bringing down costs, so down the line, you will hit a halfway point: The 5T could be cheaper, and you have steadily saved up money to buy the genuine 5T.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 PM
MadManAndrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe I'll have my dad buy me one next time he goes to China ( he goes adleast once a year)...and he can bring it back with him, if he can manange to get that through the airport.As for saving up, even if it comes down to the price the 5B i now, I still won't be able to afford that unless I save all me cash for a year...I'm thinking about sellin my dirtbike,I could make about $2500 off that, and then I could buy a 5T and a Slayer...But I still ride my bike all the time, soo, I don't know.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:19 PM
aluminum crusher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PSSSSsssssss do you have a link to the 5T clones........keep it on the down low[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 01-29-2009, 09:27 PM
MadManAndrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aluminum crusher

PSSSSsssssss do you have a link to the 5T clones........keep it on the down low[sm=wink_smile.gif]
lol, did a little googling and din't ind anything but the 5B clones...Don't think anyone s cloned them yet [&o]
Old 01-29-2009, 09:36 PM
aluminum crusher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK post if you do find something...I just know they gotta be out there because they are cloning dogs for $150 thousand dollars.....Lord oh Lord[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im doing some poking around, the only reason why I think there might be a 5T clone already in china is because someone posted a pic of onw.

But that is only a pic, and thet is not proof, I admit. For all I know, it could be a chinese King Motor 5B clone or a Shen Qi 5B clone that was upgraded with a 5T kit.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 PM
MadManAndrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

\For all I know, it could be a chinese King Motor 5B clone or a Shen Qi 5B clone that was upgraded with a 5T kit
Most likely...
Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess if someone too that route, and bought a King Motor 5B clone, maybe fore like just under $500 from a fleaby seller, and then also bought a 5T upgrade kit (I dont know how much that costs, maybe $500?)

So, if my cost guesses are accurate, a Chinese clone upgraded to a 5T would be just a little more than the real HPI 5B SS kit.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM
MadManAndrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess if someone too that route, and bought a King Motor 5B clone, maybe fore like just under $500 from a fleaby seller, and then also bought a 5T upgrade kit (I dont know how much that costs, maybe $500?)

So, if my cost guesses are accurate, a Chinese clone upgraded to a 5T would be just a little more than the real HPI 5B SS kit.
I think I'd rather get the 5b SS, but if I was going to put out that much money, i'd just save a little extra and get a 5T...
Old 01-30-2009, 12:28 PM
quarterscalelegends

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HPI has brought to market a VERY high quality at an unbelievable price. The value you get with the 5B and 5T is outstanding. If you cant afford the original HPI then large scale is probably not for you. Lots of people tend to have an entitlement issue. Not everyone can have what everyone else has. You need to know your limits and stay within your means. No matter what Obama is telling you.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am in the midst of a full conversion. When the dust settles it will be $500. Whether you go with HPI or Proline parts, the cost is going to be about the same. You can do the Proline conversion by itself which I don't care for and with wheels/tires it will cost around $350.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:08 PM
MadManAndrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: quarterscalelegends

HPI has brought to market a VERY high quality at an unbelievable price. The value you get with the 5B and 5T is outstanding. If you cant afford the original HPI then large scale is probably not for you. Lots of people tend to have an entitlement issue. Not everyone can have what everyone else has. You need to know your limits and stay within your means. No matter what Obama is telling you.
I dislike Obama, because hes attempting to tax me more,so, trust me, I'm not listening to him...and since they're being produced in Taiwan, and shipped to the U.S. in mass quantities, hpi could actually be selling both the 5B and 5T for much less. They make HUGE profits off of both.BUT, this is America, so, they, and I, can do whatever we want...

As for me not being able to afford large scale, I spend SOOO much on nitro fuel that if I stopped running nitro for a couple months I wouldeasily be able to buy a 5T, but i just can't go two months without running my babies...
Old 01-31-2009, 06:34 PM
hoverpr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.kalee.com/model/102341.htm
Old 01-31-2009, 06:52 PM
clubin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, that is definetly not a 5t, it looks better 4wd, lots of belts, but in theory kinda neat. Bad part is where I bash in the gravel pits those belts wouldn't last a tank.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:39 PM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is the 4wd belt drive 5b thing, in a sales brochure I've seen posted somewhere it states "not high performance" if they're admitting it up front i can only assume the belt drive is pants (and very stinky full ones at that), get yourself a secondhand 5b from fleabay and the proline kit +the front bumper if you think you really need it. If you're still enjoying riding your dirtbike don't sell it for a 5t or any other 1/5 scale...just start saving...
Old 01-31-2009, 09:45 PM
victory-rc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

oh,wow ...... 4WD oh dear.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you want a good cheap 4x4 buy a rampage...as i said the manufacturer states the 4x4 baja thingy is not high performance...that's another way of saying it's 5hite
Old 01-31-2009, 10:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: clubin

No, that is definetly not a 5t, it looks better 4wd, lots of belts, but in theory kinda neat. Bad part is where I bash in the gravel pits those belts wouldn't last a tank.

I agree here. With the Rampage, MCD, and MCD clones, those are all shaft driven. With the FG competitions, the belts are 100% enclosed so no rocks or juck can foul them up. And the Kamitiro guys were actually smart enough to go chain drivern (But too bad they decided to use plastic for primary structural members when they should have used steel or better yet, alum allooys.)
Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 AM
victory-rc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Those belts look strong to me...looks like metel gears in the pic also.....
I would rather listen to people who actualy own the thing before all the "engineers" come out and trash em.

Whats that thing cost?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:14 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: victory-rc

I would rather listen to people who actualy own the thing before all the "engineers" come out and trash em.

Whats that thing cost?
Easy now, and you should go ahead an take the quotes off of "engineers." I dont want another storm to start.

I am not trashing this at all, I am only making an objective observation and comparing it other 5th scales on the market. As a matter of fact, Kamitiro actually had a belt upgrade at first for FGs, but they scrapped that in favor of chain driven.

And these guys are actually up front an honest in saying that this RC is not for "performance" purposes, meaning go easy on it, dont do any hard bashing. I suspect they aslo might be implying that higher performing modded engines would put undue stresses on the drivetrain too.

As for anyone owning this, as I said before, there might be an issue with copyrights and trade dress, so noone here will have one. Someone would literally have to go directly to China to buy it and bring it back home for himself, and not to be resold for a profit.

As for cost, again, due to importing issues, there would not be a price here in the States, so one would have to buy it paying the local price face to face with the seller.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 PM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's more pics of the 4x4 baja clone, the ebay link has been deleted which stated not high performance, I'm only stating what was written in the manufacturers blurb though I think with all those tensioned belts(there's 3) power loss is going to be quiet considerable
I don't think import would be a problem as it's not really a 5b, points could be argued as it's built on the 5b platform but has been modified enough to call it original. Order one up victory and be the guinea pig and tell us how it performs...it could turn out to be a good buy or not.
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8200959/anchors_8200959/mpage_1/key_4x4%252Cbaja%252Cclone/anchor/tm.htm#8200959[/link]
Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM
victory-rc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Order one up victory and be the guinea pig and tell us how it performs...it could turn out to be a good buy or not.
not me ... LOL .... I dont spend enough time with what i have.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM
MadManAndrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But I think I already saw a chinese clone 5T. I knew they would be out there sooner or later. But for them to make landfall in the US is another story.
That's the first thing that pops up if you Google 5T Clone...