RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

5th scale racing motor

Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
sdotmoney5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 5th scale racing motor

im looking for a racing motor for my fg comp for the up coming 301 points series.anyone have info on the best ones
Old 01-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 5th scale racing motor

CC Racing engines.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:15 PM
clubin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.stevesracingbits.co.uk/
stevo builds some mean power plants too.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:19 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How much are you willing to spend?
Old 01-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Vette09

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just remember that the track follows ROAR rules. You can download ROAR's 2009 rulebook and just make sure it's within those specs because they are very strict as far as motors go. The main points to keep in mind are - 23cc max, no reed cases, no billet/cnc crankcase, no adjustable timing. Here are a few motors that guys wil be running in the series - Oddified, Alro, V-Speed, IPS, ESP. Believe it or not, about half run stock motors. I've heard very good things about the ESP race ported head kit. Very inexpensive, but outstanding performance.

Brian
Old 01-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Pro5thScaleDistributors

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Brian, are the Oddified ECU's legal?

Modified motors I would recommend would be Oddified, Tom Bolwin, Alro, ESP, I have never ran a V-Speed or IPS so I am sure they are great, but I have never used them.

Good luck
Old 01-31-2009, 09:58 PM
BadClownCrawler
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You wont do ANY better than a ESP Zen G260/270 full mod motor. the 260 (2bolt cylinder) is 399 shipped free From DDM. (davesmotors.com) the G270 (4 bolt cylinder is 499 i think. Doug (ESP) stands fully behind his work. Hes got a few guys Racing in Europe taking BIG wins in the Sedan and F1 classes. strap on a good pipe, and as long as you can set the car up and control it, the motor will deliver the power your looking out of the corners and in those long straights.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:05 PM
46u

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Take a look at this.
http://www.cc-racingengines.com/inde...8f7e3b8e4b846f
Old 02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Vette09

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BadClownCrawler

You wont do ANY better than a ESP Zen G260/270 full mod motor. the 260 (2bolt cylinder) is 399 shipped free From DDM. (davesmotors.com) the G270 (4 bolt cylinder is 499 i think. Doug (ESP) stands fully behind his work. Hes got a few guys Racing in Europe taking BIG wins in the Sedan and F1 classes. strap on a good pipe, and as long as you can set the car up and control it, the motor will deliver the power your looking out of the corners and in those long straights.
As my post above states, 23cc max. ESP motors are very good though. Although to say you won't do ANY better is a little bold.

Haven't had any race experience against the CC motors, but I'm sure they're very good also. Any modified motor or head kit will serve you well for racing. One of my buddies went to the Nationals in Nebraska in '08 and placed 4th. With a bone stock Zenoah.

Brian
Old 02-01-2009, 03:01 PM
clubin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Vette09

ORIGINAL: BadClownCrawler

As my post above states, 23cc max. ESP motors are very good though. Although to say you won't do ANY better is a little bold.

Haven't had any race experience against the CC motors, but I'm sure they're very good also. Any modified motor or head kit will serve you well for racing. One of my buddies went to the Nationals in Nebraska in '08 and placed 4th. With a bone stock Zenoah.

Brian
Rite on Vette, it is not the engines that win races, it is the drivers.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:35 PM
savagecommander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i havent seen any dyno numbers that beat odd's 23.....
Old 02-01-2009, 03:35 PM
46u

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But a good engine will help.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:20 PM
mooman007uk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

and a good pipe
Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM
BadClownCrawler
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dyno numbers are just that, numbers on a machine, on a given day, in a controlled enviroment. and while they do give a representation of how the motor was running durring the test, they dont Really tell the story of how any perticular motor will run, under race load and conditions on any given day. a 1/32 turn of the screwdriver will also change any dyno number. its strictly a point to show what the motor was providing in a controlled, repetative enviroment. once in use, your results will vary.

if your looking at a motor by cost only, and can afford 1200.00, thats cool. most cant afford to spend more on the powerplant, than they have on the whole rc.
plus you have to watch the rules for racing. it dont mater if your motor is dynod at 42 hp at 20,000 rpm, if its not in spec with the rules for the races you are participating in, it wont help you. lol

i havent had the pleasure to see an Oddie or Arlo or other Euro built motors run in person. only on vid, and its hard to gauge performance without having the controller in your right hand and a screwdriver in your left hand. i have been able to see a good few of the us built motors run side by side. most off of them do quite well and are suited to someones perticular use, ive just seen the ESP motor to have repeatable and solid performance among many different owners and different rigs, running in different senarios, when compared to others. Its surprising they dont cost more than the do.

im betting for those of you looking for new options, if you buy one of the ESP motors, i would be shocked if you arnt amazed at the performance, longevity, and overall experience of them, especially for the cost. jm2c on what ive seen in person, and thru owners / users comments who have run/owned the other brands.

as far as the 26, my bad, just opt out those above numbers, and use the ESP G230 (2bolt) and the ESP G240 (4bolt). I know the european class has went to 26s, and i thought the US was going to the 26cc rating this yr. must not be making that change yet here stateside.