RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

why not 2???

Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default why not 2???

why dont gassers have 2 speed trannies? i would think that if you had a second gear, that you could shift to from the controler, that it could add alot of speed. am i wrong?
has any company tried?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Pro5thScaleDistributors

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: why not 2???

Yes, FG Modelsport makes a 2 speed trans....

http://www.pro5thscale.com/inc/sdetail/1415

They make a 2 speed offered with different gear ratios, the one I listed is for Off road, they also make another for On road.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: why not 2???

Yeh two speeds are available for most models, I'm glad you don't have to shift them manually though. Why bother when you can set it to engage at the right time, it's only 2 gears after all. Also RC two speeds are not for speed, they're for acceleration. If all you want is speed, you can just put a single gear setup on the same size as the second gear of the 2 speed. Top speed will be the same. The purpose of the two speed is to give you a quicker way to get there by driving a shorter gear first until the powerband is reached. Truth is though, 2 speeds aren't really all that necessary, especially on off road RCs, these engines allready put out enough torque in single gear setups, to tear a hole in the crust of the earth, and also, how often do you really stretch the legs of the car? I don't do high speed runs that often, I'm all about the pull.