RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

dual servo's ???

Old 02-07-2009, 07:17 PM
fastfisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default dual servo's ???

I want to put dual servo's in my FS Monster truck. Do you guys think it would be ok to use the stock GWS and a Hitec HS-805BB together? what other combination would be good? besides the Hitec 5745mg cause I can't afford 2 of them.(or 1 of them) Is there any high current draws that would damage my receiver? Any speacial way to hook it all up? Any help would be great!!! Thanks...
Old 02-07-2009, 08:06 PM
wave waker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: dual servo's ???

i would prefer to use identical servo coz what gonna happen if it's not one way or another the weaker one will be stressed, then there speed is not same.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:13 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree, use two identical servos, dont mix one with another type. Sure, you might find two different servos rated to sweep 60degree arcs at the same transit speeds, but in reality, one is slightly faster then the other, and both cranking on one stering block or set of linkages will not be a good thing.

Actually, save up for another stock servo or save up more for the 2x 805BBs. Then get a simple Y-harness (cheaper than the parallel wired Y-harness) and plug both into one RC channel.

Or is your are that tight on money, you can really keep your RC single servo and it will still run okay.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:26 AM
txtkiller
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Hs 805 is a better servo. Buy the Ts or CS 80 same servo.[8D] two servos will add more weight to the front slowing down the servo. If you want more power than a hs 805 try the GWS 777 or a tone servo.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:07 PM
fastfisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is the HS 805 a better servo then the stock GWS? Neither of them are metal gears? Will the HS 805 break like I've heard of the GWS breaking?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:38 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have no idea waht the stats are for the GWS, I dont know which model of GWS you have.

But for the 805BB, that is a servo that produces 275in-oz, .19sec transit @ 4.8V BUT at 6V, it produces 343in-oz, .14sec transit.
The 805 is plastic gears unfortunately, and there are no metal gear upgrades that I can think of. But using two 805 servos will effectively cut the steering load on the gears in half.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:20 PM
fastfisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The servo that came with it is the GWS S666. Would I be better off getting 2 HS 805BB and making it dual steering OR buying 1 HS5745MG and leaving it a single steering servo?
It would be about 10 bucks cheaper to go with the 1 HS 5745MG. Which route would you go? I would like the wheels to turn when the truck is standing still. Right now the stock servo barly moves the wheels.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:46 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Strictly speaking from torque and transit speed performance, 2x 805BB would be superior. You can use 1x 5745MG, at 6V, it produces 250in-oz, .15 transit, but it has the advantage of being digital programmable. But if your radio is not capable of using digitals to their extent, the 805BB x2 would be way superior as you woyld get nealy 700in-oz combined torque, and even though they are plastic gear, the fact that there are 2 of them will reduce the steeing load on the plastic parts exactly in half.

I personally use the 5745, 2x 5745, because my radio transmits in HRS mode and digitals are required for that.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:01 PM
fastfisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what's big about it being digital? What is the benefits of digital? I'm using a Spektrum 3.0 Would 1 5745 turn the wheels better then the stock GWS s666?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 5745 would turn the wheels better than the GWS both in speed and in torque. I assume you have the plain old S666, and if so, the 5745 has 25% more torque, and the transit speed is 0.08sec faster.

As for digital vs analogue, digitals can be programmed through the radio, that is if the radio has the features to program them. So, digitals offer programming in EPA mid points, fine trimming, exponential steering curve, fine dual rate, and failsafe setting inside the servo itself instead of taking failsafe instruction from a failsafe unit or from an RX with failsafe built-in. Additionally, they work to keep the servo horn where they are supposed to be at all times, even expending energy to hold harder. But that extra energy expnediture has a benefit: at the instant you hit the trigger or turn the wheel, the servo gets a jolt of juice to more instantaneously apply its max starting torque, 10x faster than what an analogue servo would do.

Typically, digital servos are capable of receiving and performing 10x faster than analogue, but that performance increase is ususally very small to see due to human reaction times are not that good as compared how fast digital servos can respond to input signals. The ohnly time you can noticabley feel that 10x faster response is at the instant you pull the trigger or turn the wheel (when starting torque is more instantaneously applied as compared to non-digital servos).
Old 02-09-2009, 09:57 AM
txtkiller
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Save some money and buy the TS 80 or CS 80 servos. Same as the HS 805. More weight will cause some problems as you will also need a bigger battery. These servos are MAH hungery.[8D]
Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
fastfisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I picked up 3 CS-80 on flebay for $50 shipped Couldn't pass up that deal. We'll see how it works, Should a 6 volt 3000 mah HPI battery be ok? Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A 3amp-hour (which is exactly the same as 3,000 milliamp-hours) batt will actually last okay.

I have a dual servo steeing setup on my gassers, and I also even have 2 brake servos. That is a total of 4 servos, and on a 1800mAh (1.5 amp-hour) 5cell hump pack, I was surprised to get as much as 20min runtime before the failsafe kicked in from running out of juice. (I preferr 10 amp-hr AKA 10,000mAh batts as that can actually last almost an hour, maybe more).