Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

chain size?

Old 03-07-2009, 03:10 PM
drewcrew6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain size?

Okay on my homebuilt car ver 2 i used a chain for part of the power transfer. On that I used a #35 chain. It appears that bought rc's with chain use maybe a #25 or other chain.
What size are they and how well do they hold up to the stress.
On a side note it appears that go-peds that have chain use a #25 or 8mm chain.
The reason for these questions is the next build is under consideration now and will possibly use chain (converted to belt after completed and tested) for some of the power transfer. It will also more then likely use around a 50cc goped engine with an approx 5:1 gearbox from a go-ped as well or a Slim chance of a cvt instead of the gearbox.
a guess on the final weight is 60-80lbs.

Thanks
Drew
Old 03-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Fabe

Default RE: chain size?

Chain #25 is good enough for an RC, as they're used on pocket bikes (~200+ lb with rider) and the like. I use that size on my 47 cc RC as well. I've got some #35 on a go-kart, but that would have been way overkill to use on an RC.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:11 PM
naynay12

#25 chain is what im using on my revised homemmade rc.Like fabe said it is used for scooters with extra weight,so no reason why it shouldn't work with rc's.
50cc for an rc,man thats gona have some power [>:]
Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 AM
sam123
My Feedback: (1)

If you can, try and find yourself some #25 DID timing chain, made in japan. Its a bit more expensive than what they use on the pocketbikes, but it is also very very good quality and can be run at much higher rpm without links siezing.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:45 AM
drewcrew6

I was surprised when I learned that go-peds used them, I also did not know that pocketbikes used them as well!! Well good enogh for that then good enough for me.
Does the "DID Timing Chain" come in stainless.
That is what I used on my first car, Hate to have an alum frame/chassis with a rusted chain. Just really looks like crap then.
Do you know how fast the chain can be run?

Thanks
Drew
Old 03-09-2009, 03:30 AM
sam123
My Feedback: (1)

You will have a hard time trying to find a stainless steel chain. I doubt they even make #25 pitch chain in stainless. But you will not have any problems with chains rusting, as long as you keep them nicely oiled.

#25 pitch chain can be run at very high rpm. Nothing to worry about here .
Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

I'm getting #25 chain for my car as well.
And it's only supplied in 3 metre lengths from the place I'm getting it from so I won't be running out any time soon...