Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/5 scale monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Barry822

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 scale monster truck

I am looking at getting into a 1/5 scale fuelie. I have heard good things about the ease of break in and service on the larger two stroke gas engines. I would like a 4x4 monster truck just for bashing around. I have a T-maxx which can donate its radio. Which brands are good? Can I get them in Edmonton Alberta Canada? I also have a 29cc 4 stroke weed eater that would be willing to donate its engine if I was to find a kit. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 PM
bigdeee

Default RE: 1/5 scale monster truck

You got greathobbies there in Edmonton they sell the hpi baja 5b and 5t. The fg dealer in canada is advancehobbies.com. they are in ontario.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:01 PM
pagani77

i would reccomend the redcat rampage mt
Old 03-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Barry822

Where in Canada can you get the Redcat?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
speedy.d

vancoover hobbies
Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Barry822

Can you buy the Rampage as a kit without engine or radio?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 PM
bhcvc

If you can afford it, the Redcat looks to be really nice, well made, and has good customer support. Plus it's 4WD.

I have a Duratrax Firehammer and I love it! But it's only 2WD which is a bit harder to handle (especially on pavement where the offroad tires don't have grip). However, I got it for considerably less than what a Redcat cost.

Or, go nuts and pick up a 1/3 scale monster truck!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/12/v...eable-r-c-car/
Old 03-14-2009, 05:25 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always get the best car you can afford. Go with your first instinct and get an HPI Baja. The others, while cheaper, will need some more money spent on them to acheive the performance and reliability that the baja has straight out of the box.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:24 AM
speedy.d

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Always get the best car you can afford. Go with your first instinct and get an HPI Baja. The others, while cheaper, will need some more money spent on them to acheive the performance and reliability that the baja has straight out of the box.
WHAT? the guy said he wants a 4wd that isnt a 5b by any means, and you still have parts that dont hold up on the baja.we all know that there is work to be done on each of these to keep them solid. the only 4wd that wouldnt recomend is the chinese truck that you alsways recomend. i guess you know what they say about oppinions.LOL

btw my alloy redcat gets treated like a savage, and i have been very pleased with the reliability!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:46 AM
mooman007uk

I also say redcat, with little money to spend in upgrades you'll have a fun and reliable 4wd...i beat the snot out of mine also and it's amazing the abuse it can handle.

the 5b is 2wd and the handling is rubbish, unless you have sand dunes nearby I'd leave well alone....they're sand rails and excell in the dunes but no where else...they also break like everything else does.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:07 PM
773W
My Feedback: (1)

If your going to looking in the E-town area, I would suggest getting a Baja. I never found anything wrong with the handeling and find it great for bashing around. Ya its a 2WD,but I think its still a great basher. Been to many shops in the edmonton area and havent seen a Redcat yet. Im sure you could order one anytime. Another advantage of getting a baja is that theres a club in the area for Baja owners! And they have a track where they meet, and also have events throughout the year!!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 01:51 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Barry822

I am looking at getting into a 1/5 scale fuelie. I have heard good things about the ease of break in and service on the larger two stroke gas engines. I would like a 4x4 monster truck just for bashing around. I have a T-maxx which can donate its radio. Which brands are good? Can I get them in Edmonton Alberta Canada? I also have a 29cc 4 stroke weed eater that would be willing to donate its engine if I was to find a kit. Let me know what you guys think.
The absolute best 4WD MT I can think of is the MCD MT, but that costs mucho $$$$.
The next best I can think of is the FG 4wd comp MT, but that too is mucho $$$$ (I paid about just under $2500 USD).

If you get one of these expensive beasts, you will not regret it at all, but your wallet will be wimpering for the next year! But trust me, you will definitely enjoy it for sure.

As mentioned, RedCat Rampage MT is a good bargain for the price, and parts hopups are just about everywhere. They are under a grand, but unfortunatly only like maybe 5 stores in north america actually carry them on the shelves. The only way to really get one of these is to order it on-line. And as said above by the actual Rampage owners, you need to address some parts to make it tough for abusive bashing (actually, any RC under $1500 will need upgrades for abusive bashing). But for everday light bashing, it will hold its own.

The 5th scales that you can find in your local RC stores are the HPI Baja 5B and 5T, and parts support exists in the stores too as well as on-line. And hop-ups are very abundant for the 5B and 5T. The only problem is it is not 4WD.

Now, as for a weedeater engine: Unfortunately, gasser RCs are not industry standard with weedeater engines. The mounts, placement of the clutch bell, and even the clutch designs are not compatible with gasser RC industry standards. I like the idea of putting in a 4stroke 29cc engine into one of our gassers, but that would require some custom fabricating of engine mounts and possible adding additional gearing to get the engine to access the existing gearing of the RC.

On a Baja 5B, or 5T, or Rampage, all of these RC fortunately already come with an engine and radio. (The only 5B that does not come with a radio is the 5B SS kit, but the larger 26cc engine is already included).
Old 03-15-2009, 12:18 AM
mooman007uk

Vancouver hobbies will ship you a Rampage for $9.99 and they have all the spares...shipping is about 3 days to you. I wouldn't get an MCD as parts are only available in the states are very expensive and no tougher than a well built ramp that'll cost you less...for general bashing you don't need all alloy. HPI are big in N.America cos parts are available in just about every LHS. I say they handle rubbish cos they do compared to my fgbaja, I've run with them and the hpi owners then realize what handling can be...no one races 5b's in europe on the main event scene all fg, harm and lauts so that tells you what's up...I'm not knocking 5b's just telling it as it is...they are without doubt the best dune runners and if I had big dunes near me I'd own one.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:05 PM
mbe301

ORIGINAL: 773W

If your going to looking in the E-town area, I would suggest getting a Baja. I never found anything wrong with the handeling and find it great for bashing around. Ya its a 2WD,but I think its still a great basher. Been to many shops in the edmonton area and havent seen a Redcat yet. Im sure you could order one anytime. Another advantage of getting a baja is that theres a club in the area for Baja owners! And they have a track where they meet, and also have events throughout the year!!!!
There's a baja club in edmonton?!?!? Any morre info? (can't find anything online)
Old 03-15-2009, 04:10 PM
773W
My Feedback: (1)

Check out One5th.ca.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
raptor 8

high performance hobbies in calgary ab, have all the replacement parts for mcd and all the cars. Plus all the redcat cars and truck and parts. Plus all the fg stuff. Give em a call.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out MCD as well, they recently updated their lineup. Not cheap but not as expensive as they used to be either. Lots of good deals online that include engines.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:17 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedy.d

WHAT? the guy said he wants a 4wd that isnt a 5b by any means, and you still have parts that dont hold up on the baja.we all know that there is work to be done on each of these to keep them solid. the only 4wd that wouldnt recomend is the chinese truck that you alsways recomend. i guess you know what they say about oppinions.LOL

btw my alloy redcat gets treated like a savage, and i have been very pleased with the reliability!
lol, I think I posted that in the wrong thread. ROFL.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:17 AM
speedy.d

ORIGINAL: speedy.d

lol, I think I posted that in the wrong thread. ROFL.
wow foxy, step away from the computer and go run some fuel thru your cars , you need the break!
Old 03-21-2009, 03:08 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Many Hobbytowns carry Redcat Rampage in stock. The 2 Candian hobby stores hav ethem in stock as well.