Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Nutech Thunderbolt II - Out of the box pics.

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Nutech Thunderbolt II - Out of the box pics.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Nutech Thunderbolt II - Out of the box pics.

Thanks Mike. Good point about the heat, I'll watch out for that. Keep us updated on your thoughts as you run it more. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-02-2009, 01:17 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mikeinoz

I can offer a brief review after having had about half a tank through one of these on the weekend. I start buy saying I bought a Titan back when they first came and thought it was a good rig but deffo had a few silly design faults and I watched it gradually gain a poor reputation to the point where I doubt anyone would buy one today.
It was immediately appararent taking the TB2 out of the box that some of the issues had been rectified. The frontwheels could not over turn and pop driveshafts out, the on/off switch was easily accesible, it had a CY motor, the shocks were not leaking.
I too was shocked to see the small steering servo but have to say it seemed to work well during my run. The wheels seemed to be turning with authority in fact I think the stock titan servo was much worse and that was a 1/4 scale servo. Also the brakes were locking up all 4 on pavement so no problems there.
I did not have any mechanical issues during the run although mine is only a 23 and being run in. The only issue i noticed was at low fuel levels it was sucking air and realised that is becuase the fuel pickup is at the front of the tank. Easily fixed. Also my fuel cap would not do up tight and leaked badly but Nutech said this has been fixed.
Overall I'm impressed and will be fitting a titan pipe and bigger airfilter for the next run (we run on a VERY dusty track and the CY filter clogged up in no time!). I will leave the small steering servo for now. One possible concern is lack of airflow to the motor as the body fits closely to the chassis almost all the way around. I might slice the side windows out if heat buildup is a problem.
I think buggy this will give the fs ones a good run for the money and I believe Nutech have a full range of alloy bling available now or very soon.
How fast would you say it is MPH because the 4x4 drive cars , trucks etc. seem be alot slower than the 2 wd cars. Thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 05:03 PM
rckiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I have seen so far of this car it deffo gets the [sm=thumbs_up.gif] Nutech have gone further than any over Chinese LS manufacturer and have improved on a previous platform! and in no way can anyone call this car a clone!

FS is nowhere in the league of this car and I would say it is going to give the Rampage a good run for it's money as well as higher priced brands.

There is always going to be some issues with a RTR car and we all know other brands do as well, but I am sure if Nutech listen to everyone about on going improvements then they are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

And as long as Nutech have learnt from Smartech's marketing and after sales service back up mistakes they will be around for a long time.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: rckiwi

What I have seen so far of this car it deffo gets the [sm=thumbs_up.gif] Nutech have gone further than any over Chinese LS manufacturer and have improved on a previous platform! and in no way can anyone call this car a clone!

FS is nowhere in the league of this car and I would say it is going to give the Rampage a good run for it's money as well as higher priced brands.

There is always going to be some issues with a RTR car and we all know other brands do as well, but I am sure if Nutech listen to everyone about on going improvements then they are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

And as long as Nutech have learnt from Smartech's marketing and after sales service back up mistakes they will be around for a long time.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:52 AM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: rckiwi

I couldn't agree more.
Come on some one lest quit all of this quoting...and get a video up and running LOL
Old 04-03-2009, 02:21 AM
Foxy

Soon, young grasshopper, patience is a virtue.

Not long now, I just booked my cameraman, I;ve written half the review already, and I'll prepare it to run tonight, after taking a few more pics. This review will be done by next weekend as it turns out, everything's going more smoothly and quickly this time, probably because I am genuinely excited about this car. It will then take a few days for RCU to upload, then it will be announced at the top of the forum, like all the other major reviews. And of course I'll post some of my own vids, with music, because RCU review vids can't contain copyrighted tunes.

I genuinely believe that once I've put decent electronics, a tuned mill and an X-can in it, it will be a truly great model. Strong words I know, but I really see it happening if it runs as good as it looks like it will. The only question that will remain and obviously cannot be answered by a review performed over 2 weekends, is the long term durability of it.

As rckiwi said, if Nutech can solve the aftermarket, parts distribution and support issues that plague lesser Chinese MFRs, they will be onto a winner (no pun intended, Smartech has a 1/10th car called the Winner. lol).
Old 04-03-2009, 09:25 AM
aluminum crusher

Soon, young grasshopper, patience is a virtue.

Not long now, I just booked my cameraman, I;ve written half the review already, and I'll prepare it to run tonight, after taking a few more pics. This review will be done by next weekend as it turns out, everything's going more smoothly and quickly this time, probably because I am genuinely excited about this car. It will then take a few days for RCU to upload, then it will be announced at the top of the forum, like all the other major reviews. And of course I'll post some of my own vids, with music, because RCU review vids can't contain copyrighted tunes.

I genuinely believe that once I've put decent electronics, a tuned mill and an X-can in it, it will be a truly great model. Strong words I know, but I really see it happening if it runs as good as it looks like it will. The only question that will remain and obviously cannot be answered by a review performed over 2 weekends, is the long term durability of it.

As rckiwi said, if Nutech can solve the aftermarket, parts distribution and support issues that plague lesser Chinese MFRs, they will be onto a winner (no pun intended, Smartech has a 1/10th car called the Winner. lol).
OK Sweet take your time and if you don't mind.... give us a good (stock performance first) out of the box review, then give us quick review with the perfomance parts such as stock motor with x-can, then different motor with x-can etc. I hope that's not asking to much. Thanks Foxy 1, this is thee American Red wolf...over and out. LOL
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Foxy

Not asking too much at all, I agree that would be the only logical way to conduct the review. The whole review will be performed on the out of the box product. The extra electrics, upgrades, engine, pipes etc, will not be part of the review, they'll be posted on the forum completely separately, I hadn't considered doing it in a short review format, but that's a good idea. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-04-2009, 01:57 AM
mikeinoz

I have just fitted up a Carson Titan pipe, fitted well just had to drill a hole for the front mount.
I also brought the fuel pickup to the back of the tank by pulling the fuel tube thru the grommet, then cut of the excess hose so the fuel should be easier for the carby to suck in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41222.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1172194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69704.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1172195  
Old 04-04-2009, 03:12 AM
Foxy

Pic of body on with that pipe?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:02 AM
mikeinoz

I forgot to even try it It will need some trimming but should still go on.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Nutech GmbH

ORIGINAL: pwaicon

Can’t wait for your review Foxy, your last one was excellent. There is no doubt that is a nice looking buggy and if performs like my Titan it will drive as well as it looks. I never take the electronics into account when deciding on a new car, if I did I wouldn’t have purchased the Rampage. As for the price I would gladly pay more for the Thunderbolt over the Rampage. That is not to say the Rampage isn’t a good vehicle but I think the Thunderbolt has some added features that warrants the price difference, such as metal drive gears (spur and pinion), alloy chassis braces, 6mm shock shafts compared to 4mm, steel brake disks, and the obvious a killer looking body.

With that being said, for Nutech to compete they don’t have to match the Rampage price they need to match their customer support. I emailed Nutech’s US Distributor to ask them the difference between the TB 1 and the TB 2 and I quote “the big difference between these two is the Body of the Truck†if that is the big difference I guess Foxy doesn’t need to do another review. I am very impressed with the way Redcat handles the issues the Rampage has had. From the factory to the distributor to the retailers their customer support is excellent. I have no doubt any issue that arise with the Rampage will be looked into and corrected as soon as possible, this has been proven in the past. Not to mention there as been some aftermarket support by various manufactures.
I have been in touch with JHC regarding your complaint about the possible incorrect information you received. I have reviewed the email correspondence, and it seems that you asked the difference between #057900 and #057900F. In this case, the reply is correct, the difference is the body only.

If anyone else wishes to report poor service from JHC, please send me the details, and I will be glad to look into it. Unlike some other companies, we care greatly how we are represented by our distributors."

Thanks

Chris Cheng

Nutechracing
Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Foxy

Good to see you are following up on things like this. Now JHC know that they are being watched too, even if maybe they were right this time. This kind of thing is genuinely encouraging to hear. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-06-2009, 04:28 PM
pwaicon

ORIGINAL: Nutech GmbH

I have been in touch with JHC regarding your complaint about the possible incorrect information you received. I have reviewed the email correspondence, and it seems that you asked the difference between #057900 and #057900F. In this case, the reply is correct, the difference is the body only.

If anyone else wishes to report poor service from JHC, please send me the details, and I will be glad to look into it. Unlike some other companies, we care greatly how we are represented by our distributors."

Thanks

Chris Cheng

Nutechracing

If my question in the e-mail wasn’t clear and you think that is all I was asking then I stand corrected. So, I will ask you my question. On JHC site they have the Thunderbolt I, Thunderbolt II (057900), and the Thunderbolt II Upgraded version (057900F). First, I wanted to know the differences between the TB1 and the TB2. Second, I wanted to know the differences between the 057900 and 057900F because I wanted to know why 057900F was $50 more. If you are telling me the only difference between 057900 and 057900F is only the body, then the pictures on the site need to be updated.

Let me just say I am not trying to get into a war of words with you; I am just trying to find out what I would be getting in the mail if I were to order a TB2. So, if I understand you correctly if I were to get item 057900F then the only difference would be it would come with a painted body that looks like carbon fiber. It wouldn’t have the black wheels, the painted carbon fiber wing, the blackout gas tank, the black roll cage, or the black front bumper.

We could even go a step further. The pictures of the item 057900 do not even match the TB2 Foxy is going to review. It has a grey roll cage, grey front bumper, and the body is a different color. The bottom line is, when I open the box of my new TB2 (either the 057900 or the 057900F) what is it going to look like? Will it look like the one Foxy is going to review or will it look like either version on the JCH site? Perhaps JHC could open a box of each version and post up some pictures, much in the same way Foxy has done.

Again I will reiterate, I am a big fan of the Titan platform, it is one of my favorite RC’s. I don’t feel the Titan has gotten the attention it deserves and got a bad rap for some teething issues that weren’t addressed quickly enough. I would really like you guys to succeed and feel the TB2 has the potential to be a leading contender in the 4wd buggy class. I beat the snot out of my Titan, you can check out some of my videos, and it keeps coming back for more I have no doubt the TB2 will be able to do the same. I eagerly await Foxy’s TB2 review and echo his statement and commend you on following up with JCH regarding my earlier statements.

Name:	Ec88299.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1174434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63810.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1174435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13194.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1174436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68299.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1174437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr92763.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1174438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk76606.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1174439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df75286.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1174440  
Old 04-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Foxy

Brian, the pics on JHC are the prototype pics, I had seen them a few months ago as well, these exact ones, long before the car was released. Although it's really not the best practice putting prototype pics, it's pretty standard, even from some of the bigger companies. When the Baja 5b was released, their website images had some small differences and the gear ratios were quoted incorrectly. They have since updated them of course.

I also have the carbon fibre 'look' body, so I'll take some better shots with it on for you soon. It is quite cool, but I actually think I prefer the painted one in the end.

On a side note, Nutech's sales department have contacted me (last night) to ask for the originals of some of those photos at the top of this thread, so they are probably updating distributor materials based on your post.

Your question is 100% valid though, it's definitely a little confusing what the product differences are, and what you might actually receive if you ordered one. If you want to use my pics to email them and ask them if this is what you will receive, please feel free.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:54 PM
pwaicon

Thanks Foxy, but I hope they actually open up the stock they have and take some pictures. I was pretty sure they were prototype pics, which is why I asked them the questions I did. I have learned a long time ago to never assume anything, always ask questions to verify everything. If the only difference is the body, then I wouldn’t call it an upgraded version. Now if one came with universal joints and the other didn’t, that would be an upgrade. Speaking of universal joints, does the TB2 come with them? I too actually prefer the body in your pics over the carbon fiber one. However, if there were other differences in the two versions and felt they were worth the extra $50 I would order the upgraded version.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:40 AM
hellya

ORIGINAL: mikeinoz

I have just fitted up a Carson Titan pipe, fitted well just had to drill a hole for the front mount.
I also brought the fuel pickup to the back of the tank by pulling the fuel tube thru the grommet, then cut of the excess hose so the fuel should be easier for the carby to suck in.

I used the same pipe for the first model works great

Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 AM
e3racing

the picture is so big that cant open.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Foxy

Holy Moly!!!

I've been working on the review today and taking some pics, and I just had to share this with you guys... Although I had never had a problem with them, the original Thunderbolt cast alloy steering blocks had gained a reputation for breaking too easily... I was not aware that this was something that had been addressed in the TB2, but apparently it has... Look what I found when I removed the front wheel! Photos can't convey the awesomeness of these steering blocks... They look like a $50 plus CNC option part, check it out... [X(]

Name:	Yw68812.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1176406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41358.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1176407  
Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 PM
aluminum crusher

Holy Moly!!!

I've been working on the review today and taking some pics, and I just had to share this with you guys... Although I had never had a problem with them, the original Thunderbolt cast alloy steering blocks had gained a reputation for breaking too easily... I was not aware that this was something that had been addressed in the TB2, but apparently it has... Look what I found when I removed the front wheel! Photos can't convey the awesomeness of these steering blocks... They look like a $50 plus CNC option part, check it out... [X(]
Yeah it looks beefy and good, waiting on the review,waiting on video, waiting on a price, who will sell it in the United States....waiting, waiting,waiting Just kidding around with you Foxy 1 Please do keep us posted................Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 PM
mradlin

I'm also looking forward to the review!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Foxy

Good news bad news...

I couldn't find a cameraman for today, and unfortunately, I've run out of time before my trip to England. I'm only going to be there for one week, but you'll all have to wait til next weekend now for the completion of the review and the videos.

I did run it for 10 minutes outside the house today, and the good news is that it appears to run as good as it looks. Had no problems at all with the engine, I even risked 6 month old fuel, and it was fine. It has MUCH more power than the old TB1, and I haven't even tuned it yet. Also the thick grease in the diffs (grease from factory, but they will hold proper oil) works really well, and the car drives and steers nicely.

The review is finished in terms of text and photos. All that remains is a final paragraph after I run it, the action shots, and the video. Sorry for the delay folks, I'll finish it and get it posted as soon as humanly possible.

So yeh, I'm going to England tomorrow, but I should still be able to get online fairly regularly.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:46 PM
rcuser003
My Feedback: (11)

Not to be an ass, but how could the review be finished in terms of text if you haven't even run or beaten on the car to see how it actually goes?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Foxy

All that remains is a final paragraph
A final paragraph for me will be at least 500 words, don't worry. Also, I had its predecessor, so I know how it drives. The main thing about this car is the design improvements that have been made that don't need to be driven to be appreciated. I can't add much more about how it runs, unless it breaks. But I will give a detailed review on all aspects, including how it runs. Also, if it breaks badly just after the review is finished or something, I do have the ability to update the review.

RCU reviews are done in sections, with the 'running' being the last section. Poor choice of words I suppose, the text isn't completely finished, but nearly.

It will get a good run, then it will be flown through the air multiple times. If it lands on its roof, so be it.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Mr Terminator

Shame we missed your UK trip Jon,it'd have been nice to meet you dude,we at TM are having our monthly bash and it would have been nice if your trip could have coincided with the bash on the 25th.Oh well,another day maybe.Not kept upto date on ne releases but this does look a lot better than the TB1,although I was one of the only people who quite liked the look of the TB1's shell.I'm a bit sceptical about that steering servo even though the stats are impressive,Savox do a 20kg/cm servo with Titanium gears but I wouldn't put one on my Baja thats for sure,thats and easy fix though with a Hitec HS5745MG or even a HPI SFL 10MG,they're becoming quite easy to get on ebay at god prices,mine has been flawless as of yet in my SS.Keep up the good work Foxy,looking forward to the review fella....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.