Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

FG, separate servo for front brakes.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG, separate servo for front brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:15 PM
ZX9RBART

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG, separate servo for front brakes.

I just bought a Spektrum DX3R for my fg sportsline. I would like to use the third channel for the front brakes so that i can adjust the bias from the controller. Here is my question....A few weeks ago I bought a Spektrum DX2.0 that came with a standard and high torque servo. Will the 70 ounce inch servo be enough for the front brakes? Or do I need to go with something bigger. I also thought about using the spektrum servo for the throttle/rear brake and the 1/5 scale servo being used there for the front brakes. Any advice or info on your setups would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:00 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: FG, separate servo for front brakes.

70in-oz will be sufficeint to actuate the front brakes, and the front brakes will actually augment stopping significantly; of course the stock disc brake that stops the rear will be doing its thing too; so all 4 wheels (or really, all 3 discs) will be performing work to stop the RC.

Personally, I say get a servo that can produce at least 150in-oz of torque to clamp down on the front dics, since during stopping, the center of mass of the RC is shifted forward as the nose tends to dip down and thus the front brakes will tend to do more work than the stock disc which is actuating the rear wheels.

However, even if you keep you 70in-oz servo, your braking will STILL be improved since you now have 4 wheels stopping where you only had 2 wheels stopping and only ONE disc working tostop the entire RC.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:31 PM
ZX9RBART

Thanks for the reply, I had all 4 wheels stopping, it was just that the front and rears were both operated off of the throttle servo and I want to separate them. I may just use the 70 servo for the throttle and rears and the bigger (unknown name at this moment) servo for the fronts.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 AM
ZX9RBART

Well for now I hooked it back up the way it was. one servo controlling throttle and both front and rear brakes. The 3rd servo will be a project for another day.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:11 AM
mooman007uk

I couldn't get my kpd's to lock with a 570 servo, I went for overkill in the end and installed 2 jr z9100t's for brakes and th....i could lock up all 4's real easy then with 380ozin.

I ran seperate channels as it makes set up for different conditions possible.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 PM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

For steering you need something like a 5745 or Rhino or 805. For thrttle and brakes you need at least a 5645 (168oz at 6V) or more to have them work good. Been using this setup for over 5 years now.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:51 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I agree here, for me, the Hitecs, the 5745, the brake/throttle duty 5645, and 7995 servos have been absolutely great.

I have yet to try the Rhinos, but if I get one, I would buy one that produces no less than 400in-oz for steering duty.