Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Opinions please!!! New engine running crappy

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Opinions please!!! New engine running crappy

Old 05-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Wicked!!
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions please!!! New engine running crappy

OK,

So today I went to get my Rampage running with no luck. SO tonight I pulled the plug, and noticed things were a little wet and there was a ring of oil at the top of the head. So I pulled the engine over a few times to UN flood it. I also pulled the fuel line off. TADA!! it run. So I stopped it, put the lines back on, returned the LSN back to 1 1/4 and pulled it over. Ran for a bit then stalled. SO I did the same thing all over again and this time turned the LSN back up really slowly and only got to about 1 turn out when it started to run crappy again. Started driving it around for awhile and every time I brought it close and let off the fuel it would sound like it wanted to stall. And did the last time.

The needles are about 1 1/4 out on the HS and about 1 on the LS.

O and when I have it running it drives really sluggish and slow.

I don't get it.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:00 PM
IMADMAN
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Opinions please!!! New engine running crappy

The needle settings seem to be to lean try 1.5 on the H and 1.25 on the L, check your idle screw as well. Yea with the stock 23cc it's a dog with the pipe it will improve. Or get a 28.5 headkit and a sprint77 modded rear dom and you'll really be flying.

Also try a 6500-8000 rpm clutch spring that helps a great deal as well.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, 23cc is unfortunately a beginner engine and realyy should be only used in on-roaders where racing rules force the use of that displacement.
For off-roaders, especially MTs, more displacement with a pipe chosen for low end torque would be the best. That will really add to the accelereation, but of course, also sacrifice some top end as well, but hey, its all off-roading, no top speed passes on the dirt track or out in the bashing yard!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 AM
hellya

heres some info

1) Locate the low and high RPM jets on the side of the carb - they are usually marked with a L and a H. Turn both jets completely CLOCKWISE ( to the fully closed position).
2) Rotate the Low jet counter-clockwise to 1 and 1/4 turns open.
3) Rotate the High jet counter-clockwise to approx 1 and 3/8 turns open.
4) Now, start the engine. You may need to turn the Low jet slightly one way or the other for the engine to start.
5) Adjust the Low jet as desired until the idle is where you like it. Turning clockwise ("CLOSING" THE JET) will produce a higher idle, and counterclockwise ("OPENING" THE JET) will produce a lower idle (and eventually flood and the engine will kill, if you turn it too far).
6) Open the throttle lever to full blast. Adjust the High jet until you get maximum RPMs. Note: this will probably be REALLY LOUD. Listen for the highest-pitched whine to tell you where max RPMs are hit. AFTER YOU FIND THE MAX RPM SETTING, TURN THE HIGH JET COUNTER-CLOCKWISE ("OPEN" THE JET) APPROX 1/16TH OF A TURN TO ENSURE YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT GAS/OIL MIX TO COOL THE ENGINE PROPERLY.

Note: The above are just general guidelines. You may need to adjust both the H and L screws once you begin driving, depending on engine loading, altitude, humidity, etc. The trick is to find settings that work well for you, and stick with them.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 AM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

Contrary to what some here might think, the issues with your engine aren't solved by getting a new one. And with a good pipe you may find that it has ample power (for what you want to do).

IMADMAN has posted the factory settings for your carb, give that a try. It'll be running a bit rich with those but that should be good for now. Try increasing the idle speed to keep the engine ticking over by turning the idle screw clockwise until you get a nice steady tone from the engine but without the clutch biting (turn it up too high and the wheels will start spinning).

What 2 stroke oil are you using?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 PM
dc2 man
Banned

i am going to say that you have a problem with fueling also,its the only thing i can think of,other than really dirty cloged airfilter(which im sure you dont have) or a bad plug?

im guessing the above i just mentioned will be ok,now another thing,have you ever had the fuel lines off the carb? have you got the fuel tank vented? you need a vent line for overflow coming from your tank for pressure reliase,and another thing about your fuel lines,if you had them off lately did you put them back the correct way? return at the top near the sqishy bulb primer,and intake feed at bottom, now are you running with choke on,partially on or what?

check all these things and get back to me,i dont care what anybody says a 23cc is more than enough for any machine i have had 26cc and 29cc,race ported engines,and i have a 750euro motor coming this month for my fg beetle....my point is man i currently run a 23cc in my onroad carson and they are very powerfull they rev higer than a 26cc........only differnce with a bigger displacment is outright torque (acceleration) otherwise identical.......put it to you this way a 26cc zenoah with tuned pipe is supposed to be around 4.2hp and a 23cc zen with pipe is around 3.6hp,not a whol lot of a differnce.....

of course my onroad has a tuned pipe which helps release the extra hp..

man check what i said and let us know,have youa cracked/pinched fuel line?
have you the right fuel mixture?

my best guess on that rampage model more than likely VENT IN TANK.....i think these need to be vented after purchace.

dan