Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Firehammer MT - what spare parts?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Firehammer MT - what spare parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 PM
bhcvc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehammer MT - what spare parts?

I have a $15 credit for DTX parts at Tower, so I was thinking to use it for spares for my Firehammer MT. What parts are most prone to damage that I should pick up and have on hand?

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Firehammer MT - what spare parts?

Parts in the suspension,like A-arms,steering knuckles and so on.All in all,moving parts that is taking a lot of beating
Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 AM
speedy.d

front arms were my most common replacement.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Steering knuckles, shock end set, shock rebuild kits, dogbones, spur, pinion (if you are using plastic).
Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 PM
bhcvc

Thanks guys! I'll likely pick up front arms (upper and lower), steering knuckles, spur, and a pinion. I see 2 pinions on tower's site...a 14T and a different one. What's a better option?
Also, do the dogbones bend? They seem pretty beefy. I was looking to pick up an extra shock set anyways, so maybe I'll do that also. Quite a bit above my $15 credit, but all for good fun.
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 PM
csp1971

ORIGINAL: bhcvc

Thanks guys! I'll likely pick up front arms (upper and lower), steering knuckles, spur, and a pinion. I see 2 pinions on tower's site...a 14T and a different one. What's a better option?
Also, do the dogbones bend? They seem pretty beefy. I was looking to pick up an extra shock set anyways, so maybe I'll do that also. Quite a bit above my $15 credit, but all for good fun.
Thanks.
The 14t and the 16t you see are the transfer gears/pinions, they mesh with the differential gear. With the truck, a spare 14t would be best.

The pinion gear that touches the spur gear is this one:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHTV0&P=ML

But I would strongly suggest getting a steel one:

http://www.innovativehobby.com/index...OD&ProdID=1015

Yeah, the dogbones can bend, but it all depends on how hard you are on it. I bent mine, snapped them, etc. I wasn't hard on mine but I never had good luck with them. I eventually spent 150 on a ball drive unit for the rear. That was me though. I don't hear too many people complaining about snapping or bending them.

The thing about Tower is this, it's the season for running rc's. If you miss out on a part backup now, they go on backorder and you wait for MONTHS sometimes before a part is back in stock. (that or search ebay for another source)

Get some back up parts now, you'll be happy you did!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:03 AM
bhcvc

So this pinion isn't the one that engages the spur gear?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPMS5&P=7

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 AM
csp1971

That's the layshaft pinion or "drive" gear or whatever other name it's given. Look at your spur gear and the shaft it is mounted on, it has that little 14tooth on the other end which meshes to the differential gear. Tower should really rename their description.

The actual pinion that meshes with the spur is 19 tooth.