Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

2 cycle engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:17 PM
yolifeisGOOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 cycle engine oil

i've recently purchased a kingsmotor 1/5 29cc and is eager to get this badboy up and running

earlier i went to autozone and o'reiley to pick up 2 cycle engine oil but i wasn't able to find Klotz or Amsoil so instead i got the Vavoline multi-purpose 2 cycle engine oil, after doing a little search i've found out i should be using klotz or Amsoil, so guys which autopartstore or where's a place to buy klotz synthetic? and what's the bestmixing method"as in what do iuse to measure"

and the bad news is that im totally new to this so is there anything in particular that i need to look out "check" before starting up my toy for the first time?

one last thing, i need to change out my throttle servo horn, on the instruction it said to turn on my transmitter n than the reciever align it side way *==== ( * represent the screw & = represent the plastic piece) and tighten the screw.is this the right way to do it?

Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 PM
ZX9RBART

Default RE: 2 cycle engine oil

Set about a month aside and read this
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7249314/tm.htm

As far as the 2 cycle oil, you will be fine with what you have bought.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:04 PM
splcrazy

Klotz is good cos of the added caster oil , but i want to try blue marble next time .but any high grade synthetic 2stroke is good, just dont use the lawnmower brands of 2stroke oil , use the motorbike 2stroke stuff
Old 05-16-2009, 08:39 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

Klotz is good cos of the added caster oil , but i want to try blue marble next time .but any high grade synthetic 2stroke is good, just dont use the lawnmower brands of 2stroke oil , use the motorbike 2stroke stuff
why not use the lawnmower stuff?. do you mean weedeater oil?. if 2 stroke weedeater oil is fine for my weedeater and chainsaw then it should be fine for these.
i'm just wondering why you say this.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 PM
yolifeisGOOD

so where can i pick up some klotz?
Old 05-16-2009, 09:35 PM
ZX9RBART

I get mine at my local hobby shop. There is always the internet as well.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:44 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

I use Amsoil and there is a difference in performance from low quality oil to synthetics
Old 05-17-2009, 01:28 AM
BigGrump

I am kind of ashamed to admit this, but I am using outboard 2 cycle oil from WalMart. The only reason I am using it is that is what I had the day I got my baja, and I have 5 gallons of gas mixed with it.

I do know the difference because I have a quart of BlueMarble on the work bench ready to go, but I just cannot bring myself to throw the other gas out. Even with the walmart outboard oil, the engine runs great and after 2 and 1/2 gallons, there is no sign of anything going wrong.

I will say, however, if I get a new engine, that will be started the first time with Blue Marble and NO outboard oil.

Dennis

Old 05-17-2009, 02:02 AM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: fourwheels0

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

why not use the lawnmower stuff?. do you mean weedeater oil?. if 2 stroke weedeater oil is fine for my weedeater and chainsaw then it should be fine for these.

the lawnmower grade 2stroke oil is ALOT thicker and doesnt provide the protection that our small engines get upto. you will find that if you use the lawnmower grade oil in your baja engine it will have bugger all reving performance
Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 AM
fourwheels0

"it will have bugger all reving performance"
what does this mean?.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:58 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

You just will not get the best performance from low quality oil.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:59 AM
cuemando

I think he's trying to say that the lawn mover stuff won't burn as well as "special" oils but if you get the mix right, it will do fine. You can get the best oil at the wrong mix and it wont burn right. I run go kart oil by silkolene. I think it comes down to "you get what you pay for" in one sense but some oils will gunk up a plug even at the correct mix. That's what is important, having enough but not too much. Start with the recommended mix and experiment from there, mix small batches (saves stuffing up 5 litres of juice and having to get the calculator out to fix it) and don't stray too for off the recommend ratio in one go. ie recomends 30:1 try 28 or 32. You want to see a little bit of smoke all the time through the rev range. As always, please tell me if anybody thinks this is wrong.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:32 AM
fourwheels0

ok thanks.
i'll just keep using the stuff i have as it is made for weedeaters and works fine. i don't race so i don't need every last drop of performance. if i run into problems then i'll try something different.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:49 PM
yolifeisGOOD

so with 1 gallon of gasoline what is the recommended mixture of 2 stroke oil?
Old 05-17-2009, 10:03 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Most run a 25:1 mix, I personally run 32:1.
For most purposes, 25:1 is a good ratio. Get the mix cup from DDM and you will always get a precise ratio
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.3350/.f
Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: yolifeisGOOD

so with 1 gallon of gasoline what is the recommended mixture of 2 stroke oil?

5.2oz per gallon gives 25:1 ratio
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 AM
jpilkinton

I use Amsoil 100:1 synthetic oil for my pocket bike engines. But I use 2 packets per gallon of fuel. For some reason, using one packet I couldn't get the engine to start. I drained the tank and added a second packet and it fired up fine. I'm sure there was a carb tuning issue too using 100:1

Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 AM
Ballistic Lunacy
Banned

Do lawnmowers rev anywhere near to 18,000 rpm? Does anyone care if they don't? The oil your using is the cheapest of the cheap and it won't protect your engine.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 AM
fourwheels0

how whould you know what i'm using?.
weedeater engines are weedeater engines they all rev about the same. there is much less load on a weedeater than our buggys so they should rev even higher than the buggys.
this is what i'm using.
5.2 oz per gallon.
so far no problems.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42396.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1200971  
Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 AM
cuemando

ORIGINAL: jpilkinton

I use Amsoil 100:1 synthetic oil for my pocket bike engines. But I use 2 packets per gallon of fuel. For some reason, using one packet I couldn't get the engine to start. I drained the tank and added a second packet and it fired up fine. I'm sure there was a carb tuning issue too using 100:1

100:1 sounds WAY too lean. I don't know anything about Amsoil? What is one of those packs worth? Is it like grease and how big is the packet?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:11 AM
cuemando

how whould you know what i'm using?.
weedeater engines are weedeater engines they all rev about the same. there is much less load on a weedeater than our buggys so they should rev even higher than the buggys.
this is what i'm using.
5.2 oz per gallon.
so far no problems.

Yes weedeater motors are weedeater motors. We are talking Large scale RC cars. Is the timimg a bit more advanced to burn quicker in our motors and we sacrafice reliablity and longgevity for performance, where as a weedeater manufacturer doesn't need his motors to do 18000, only 10000 and last for hundreds of hours? How offen does a pro MX rider have his ring replaced?

Who makes PRO-MIX might sell the same stuff to Amsoil or KLOTZ????? How do we know?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 AM
sam123
My Feedback: (1)

I think you can get away with weedeater/ chainsaw mix  if your engine isn't modified, and you dont hold the throttle wide open for too long . If your engine has been pushed to the limit, with a pipe, porting etc, then you would want a higher quality oil.

Im currently running 2-stroke chainsaw oil in my zenoah and had no problems...

In the end, if you don't have the oil/gas ratio correct and the tuning is set too lean it wont matter what oil your using...your engine is still going to wear out prematurely.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 AM
monsterbrad

I run Klotz 6oz to 1 gallon of gas.
Never have any issues.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:44 AM
cuemando

ORIGINAL: sam123

I think you can get away with weedeater/ chainsaw mix if your engine isn't modified, and you donthold the throttle wide open for too long. If your engine has been pushed to the limit, with a pipe, porting etc, then you would want a higher quality oil.

Im currently running 2-strokechainsaw oil in my zenoah and had no problems...

In the end, if you don't have the oil/gas ratio correct and the tuning isset too lean it wont matter what oil your using...your engine is still going to wear out prematurely.

In the end YES.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:50 AM
yolifeisGOOD

thanks for all the inputs, im going to the local hobby shop to pick up some good oil and i'll be on my way to a park

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.