Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

recomended radio??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:23 PM
tamiya trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recomended radio??

Hi people, im looking to upgrade my radio set first on my buggy and want to know what you guys have and/or think is a good step to go for. My current radio is standard from the rtr gas blaster set and goes out of range before it reaches top speed.

Im not looking for top of the range i want cheap but good if possible. I only require 2 channel aswell. I prefere the stick controllers aswell not the wheels ones

All sugestions welcome .
Old 05-17-2009, 06:02 PM
voo2doo

Default RE: recomended radio??

A DX5 might just be up your street! 2.4Ghz and cheap as chips,built in failsafe too! its a stick type and you can pick them up for about £65.
J.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:33 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

i dont know about the stick radio's but the futaba 3pm is a perfect easy to use radio with alot of options. in the states they go for about $100.. there isnt much price diffrence between a 2 channel and 3 channel. the third channel is important if you wan use a kill swith. an fm 75mhz radio is the least you can safely go. you DO NOT want an am radio or 24mhz radio. you will experiance short range and radio glitches becouse of the ignition system.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:59 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I too thrown in my suggestion for 3PM FASST. Yes, it is a bit more expensive, but you will not regret Futaba 2.4GHz.

A-Main actually has them for not as expensive now, they are like $180 USD
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12290

The 3PM 2.4GHz used to cost no less than $250 USD per radio set, but at that price, that is a very good deal for such a good mid-grade radio.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 AM
monsterbrad

FAAAAAASSSSSTTTTTT
Old 05-19-2009, 11:26 AM
tamiya trucker

Can you guys tell me what you think of this one please. its within my price range and all i really need to upgrade for is for longer distance. I only need it so my car can reach about the length of a football pitch.

ebay item number  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 PM
TRINI-LUCIAN

Location: St.AugustineTrinidad and Tobago, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

i think you are better off with the 3pm fasst radio. if you can get a used futaba 3pk you can then buy a cheaper 2.4 ghz module to go with it. Dont cheap out on your radios and servos..take your time, save up it will be worth it...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That is the best advice as far as a radio goes. If you want a cheap radio, you are better off sticking to the RTR radio because the cheaper ones unfortunately in most cases are no better than the RTR radios. A good mid-grade to high grade radio is what you want to shoot for; that radio will actually serve you in running vitually all of your RCs. Most of us fall into that category of owning a gasser, maybe two, and several other RCs, for about 5-10 RCs. Most decent midgrade radios will have 10 model memory so that one radionwill service all your RCs. Very few of us have more than 15RCs, but I know a 3PK or 4PK will have up to a 30 model memory. I am sure an M11 or a Nomandio or high grade JR will also have the at least a 30model memeory.

Saving up for a quality aftermarjet radio to replace your RTR radios is the way to go. Yes, that one radio will be expensive at first, but it will be better and cheaper than buying one cheap radio for each of your RCs! And that is how the expense of a decent radio justyifies itself.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:53 AM
tamiya trucker

Well that was the only one i could afford now and i actually broke my rtr stuff that came with the car yesterday so really needed a new set fast.

I dont plan on buying any other rc model for a long time yet so dont really need the 10 or 30 model memory, i need to upgrade my buggy first .

I was hoping you guys would of said it was at least ok for what i need as i dont race at clubs i just mess around with it at the local park were there is a huge field or i go down the woods. I dont need extreme long range but my rtr stuff really did only go about 25 metres before the fail safe kicked in. 

Buying this radio had to at least be better than buying a 40mhz controller??
Old 05-20-2009, 03:14 AM
borley1863

I have a spektrum DX3R very nice radio, i use it to control all my 4 cars! Obvisouly you need 4 receivers lol

Guy

Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Really, you should upgrade to beeter as things break. f the radio is crap, run that into the ground and buy a much better one to replace it.
If the engine is crtap, run that into the ground too and replace it with a better one once that breaks.
So forth and so on.

It is always better to replace the bad parts with better ones as they break. Then there are many of us who know the weak points and simply get rid of the crap parts to begin with and either fleabay those parts or throw them into the rubbish. But unless there is no feasible replacement, that is the only time we will actualy resort to going with the same crappy part.

Most of all, upgrading your radio IS upgrading your buggy! Trust me, some of those other parts can probably wait a little longer for replacement. Since your RTR radio set is dead, take this opportunity now to upgrade that part of your buggy now. You absolutely will not regret it.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:05 PM
tamiya trucker

Well i bought the acoms 2.4mhz set off of ebay. In time if i find the acoms set is not that great i will upgrade to top notch stuff