Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Guys whats wrong with my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 PM
yolifeisGOOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys whats wrong with my car

Scenario:

so i took it to a park for the first time, got it running for a good 10 mins. and all of a sudden the engine cuts off automatically. upon inspection i've found a tons of grass stuck between the body and the frame, matter of fact grass got stuck everywhere. i happily clean whatever i can, then proceeded to fire it back up, got it running for i say another 10 or so good mins. and the motor suddendly die on me. now when i try to start, the engine would turn on for like 1 second or less then just completely go dead, and i think my servo box is mess up due to the fact that i can no longer brake, what i have to do on my transmitter is set the throttle to 20% or else thisthing make this urg urg noise it seems like its calling for my help.

so guys whats my problem here, how can i get this thing running again, and i mean isn't this thing made for off road why it's running in the park all sudden sound scary now becuz of the grass.

Solution: ???
Old 05-18-2009, 07:52 PM
yolifeisGOOD

Default RE: Guys whats wrong with my car

oh by the way, the car is a 1/5 scale King motor 29cc and for the fuel, i mix 1 gallon of gasolin w/ 5.2 oz of 2 stroke oil.

Pure synthetic bases are blended with 20% BeNOL® Racing Castor Oil. Provides engines the Clean Burn™ quality of Klotz® synthetic lubricants along with the exceptional film strength of castor oil. Degummed castor oil reduces ring groove deposits and protects engines in high RPM and extreme heat applications. Blends with methanol alcohol and gasoline.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 PM
SAVAGEJIM

As for our engine and all the grass, make sure that it has not wrapped itself around on anything at all; grass wrapping itself around anything will even stop a weedeater or lawn mower; even more so on your RC.

As for the engine itself, check everything on your engine, especially as far as air leaks could pose problems. Make sure the carb is on good, the gaskets are doing their job, the exhaust can is on good, and so forth. A trick that many will say to do to help seek air leaks is to run the engine, and at idle, spray WD40 where gaskets are. Any bubbling or WD40 flying off from an air leak is where the leak will be.

If air leaks are not your problem, you will have to do some disassembly: The thing to check first of all is the clutch. So you will have to disassemble the CB from the engine so you can inspect it and replace what is busted (the spring could have come loose and at idle, your clutch is engaging thus causing a stall when you should be gassing it so that it will not stall).
Old 05-19-2009, 04:02 AM
splcrazy

check to make sure the spark plug has not come loose and while your at it check to see if the plug is not drenched and wet with fuel cos if so it wont start , also dont overtighten the plug its VERY easy to over rotate the plug destroying the thread, then check all bolts are tight like the exhaust bolts to head and tighten the carb bolts . make sure the flywheel isnt clogged with grass or else it wont pick up the magnets to make spark for the spark plug . If you ran it hard it might have overheated and welded the ring in the groove in the piston , then you need a new piston kit if that happened
Old 05-19-2009, 09:43 AM
yolifeisGOOD

...the truth is, im totally new to this hobby and really doesn't know what part is what but im slowly picking up.  so if you show me what to check please also show me where that particular item is located at.

in an attempt to fix my car, this is what i have done so far:

1) clean out all the grass thats visible
2) i've changed the air filter "i assumed a clogged up airfilter can prevent and engine from turning"

the next step im about to do is check to see if all the bolts are tighten, and then the spark plug.  as to checking for air leaks, i dont think i can perform SAVAGEJIM advise due to the fact that my engine wont start "at all"

Old 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Grass will get sucked in the pull start fan area and another inlet under the engine. This grass will fill up the area behind the fan shroud (cover the pull start is screwed on to) and also into the cooling fins of the head. This would not directly cause a "won't start" problem but it can cause a lot of heat in the head and head gasket because the fan airflow is choked off.

An Outerwears pullstart cover is a great investment to cut down most of the grass getting in there. Others here have glued mesh over the holes under the crankcase to keep crap from getting in there. A pullstart cover will take care of most of this problem.

Look at the line created by the head gasket and see if it is black anywhere, especially on the exhaust-side of the engine. This might indicate a bad seal and oil seeping out. This seepage mixed with dirt will look like dark clay.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:07 PM
yolifeisGOOD

ok i've checked the spark plug and it seem to be ok, i've also removed the engine cover n the pullstart cover.as off right now thereis no visible grass stuck anywhere.

when i try to pull start, the engine seems like it want to start but just die out completely, i then have to put the choke level down and pull until it almost start then move it back, and it would just almost start and just give out. what i've noticed is there's bubbles in my gas line, is this normal?
and can a wrong mixture of oil/gas causes the engine to not start? my mixture is 5.2oz of klotz to 1 gallon of gas.

i don't know if it's cuz of the engine's not recieving enough gas or becuz of something else.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:18 PM
dc2 man
Banned

hello

ok firstly you didnt specify how old this machine is

secondly you didnt tell us what model it is lol

there is nothing wrong with this,it seems to me there could be a engine kill switch connected to your reciever box,open it and check,how you will know is you will see a rather chunky sized circuit board on top of your reciever box (radio box in your car) and there should be two wires running over towards engine,check and see if you have this.

seems to me you have this and your electrics got a little wet,if so this device will kill your engine and will not let it start untill completly dryed out.................pain in the butt..

is this a carson/??? if so yes kill switch problem!!

dc2
Old 05-19-2009, 12:35 PM
yolifeisGOOD

this is a brand new king motors 29cc engine. hey can a bad servo make the engine not to start?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 PM
dc2 man
Banned

no i told you it is the "kill switch" if there is one fitted,check and see,i just told you in the last post what to check,its the only way we will be able to help you.

not a servo,and a servo broken will not have any thing to do with engine,you wont be able to use the throttle function but it wouldnt prevent engine from starting up.

have you also a broken servo?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:10 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

If there is any kind of firing sound from the engine, even if slight, then the kill switch is probably not stuck or bad. I drilled a small hole in my kill switch cover and put a small machine screw in it. If it gets stuck just pull on the screw head to free it.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM
yolifeisGOOD

i think my gear box is fried there's a burning smell to it, no wonder why my brake dont work. and my engine don't have a kill switch, there's no wire running to the engine.

so the receiver box and the gear box has nothing to do with my engine not starting right?

Old 05-19-2009, 02:10 PM
yolifeisGOOD

ok i finally got the engine to start, i have no idea how it start up but man it die out after like a good 30 seconds. i dont know what else to do at this point
Old 05-19-2009, 03:07 PM
dc2 man
Banned

ok i am going to advise you
you must do the following ok if you want to get to the bottom of this.

first
check your carb needles,high speed close it fully SHUT and low speed also SHUT......now open high speed needle 1& 3/4turns around and the low speed 1& 1/2 turns open.....both are marked on carb l and h.........

second..
install new plug

third
let it get cold,give the priming bulb a good priming keep pressing it until you hear fuel returning to tank,put on choke,pull start it(you should hear engine fire) now turn off choke and it should start........

fourth
if the above fails and yu checked fuel lines and everything else your engine is dead..........

plus you didnt still tell me how old this is????
is it new or what?
how can we help if you dont read the messages properly...............
you say it is anew km 29cc but is it just the engine that is new or the complete car?
did you fit engine your self???

Old 05-19-2009, 03:19 PM
dc2 man
Banned

ok you didnt tell me weather you fitted this new engine to your car or not,or weather you bought complete new car......

if you put engine in it,i think you mixed up the fuel to carb lines.......

you need to have the feed line going to bottom of carb,and return at top,now how the two are distinguished apart is that the feed(to bottom) is in the tank with the filter at the end.......

if you have these on wrong way around you will never start it..............

let me know???
Old 05-19-2009, 03:45 PM
yolifeisGOOD

the whole car is brand new and came preassembled, it is my first time running it

well somehow i got the engine to run steady but like it boggle a bit

but im having problem fixing my gearbox. for like the gear box, the biggest gear "the one that the servo horn is hook to" what position is that small needle "on top of the round ring" set to, like if i put in center there wont be any noise like the gear is not turning but with it being in this position i cannot put the middle gear in. the only way i can make it fit is to have the needle toward left or right but with it in this position the gear keep on spinning n make this errrggg noise. anyone got a picture of how the gear box suppose to look

Old 05-19-2009, 07:26 PM
yolifeisGOOD

well i went and got a brand new servo, got it installed, got the engine started but as soon as  i apply throttle the engine would cut off

and can someone tell me what the "throttle trim" on the remote do am i suppose to leave it at 0% or +10% ?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM
dc2 man
Banned

throttle trim is for adjusting your throttle,the amount of throttle you will have open at all times on tickover and it will be your starting point on the servo....

if you ever get that engine running you will be able to use the trim to either drop the engine rpm slightly or raise it a little...

steerig trim works the same,you can get a good straight on setting with this trim adjustment.

what make servo did you buy?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:40 PM
yolifeisGOOD

i got the ultra torque hitec hs-645MG

oh i got the car running already, but if i dont touch anything the motor will stay on but once i apply throttle on my remote the engine cut off.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 PM
dc2 man
Banned

by the way the pipes going in to your tank must make a good seal,if they dont they will suck in air causing you not to be able to start engine,check the two pipes going in to the tank and make sure the rubber seals are good and tight........if you got bubbles in your fuel lines yes you are drawing air someplace........

check these and let us know the story..
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM
yolifeisGOOD

hey i did what you've told me

"open high speed needle 1& 3/4turns around and the low speed 1& 1/2 turns open"

ok if i set my trim throttle to -.03% the engine stayed on but the wheel spin, if i leave it at 0% the engine wont start at all

how

Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: yolifeisGOOD

hey i did what you've told me

"open high speed needle 1& 3/4turns around and the low speed 1& 1/2 turns open"

ok if i set my trim throttle to -.03% the engine stayed on but the wheel spin, if i leave it at 0% the engine wont start at all

how

Do you have any idea what your carb settings were when you first ran the buggy?
and was the motor very hot the first time you ran it?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 PM
yolifeisGOOD

i have no idea what my carb setting was when i first got it, and i didn't take notice how hot the motor was..

ok so what do i need to do to get this bad boy tune correctly?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 PM
dc2 man
Banned

check your carb needles,high speed close it fully SHUT and low speedalso SHUT......now open high speed needle 1& 3/4turns around andthe low speed 1& 1/2 turns open.....both are marked on carb l andh........

man i already told you the settings ........

Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 PM
yolifeisGOOD

i did that but no luck,

like when i changed out my servo i have to switch on my transmitter to THROTTLE "reverse" it seems like my throttle stick is not sitting normal like it's open

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.