Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FGMT Comp. 4x4 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:53 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FGMT Comp. 4x4 build

Here are some photos of my in progress FGMT 4x4.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FGMT Comp. 4x4 build

Just wondering but why did you repost this?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sometimes cross post in GD, just to show the noobs what large scale is all about.

Anyway, Sheo, you move at a glacial pace, GET ON WITH IT!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:48 PM
sheograth

Shocks and drive shafts installed on rear.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:27 PM
dc2 man
Banned

nice. this is very eye catching to me because you went to a lot of effort to be neat and tidy.

i like the the little touches with the coins for size comparisson

its almost as neat as mine.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 PM
sheograth

some more shots:

Old 07-03-2009, 03:21 AM
splcrazy

its all very nice but must weigh a ton
Old 07-03-2009, 07:05 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yes, the comp version is definitely heavier. But surprisingly, it handles really well. It is not as nimble and zippy as an Elcon, but for an MT, it hols its own very well. Surprisingly, unlike smaller scale nitros and electrics, the alum suspension parts are rock hard bullet proof (I have yet to bend any of my own allow suspension parts).
Aside from the surprising strength of FG alum allow, if anything, I find the additional weight helps assist the front wheels to dig in in a turn when exploiting weight transfer; and this helps eliminate some of sand roosting as the wheels plant more firmly into the ground.

But as I said in this very same topic in the GD forum, very nice build and I cant wait to see it fire up for the first time! Brings back memories of when I was building my own kit!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:34 PM
CraftWerks-RC

She's a beauty!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 12:17 AM
sheograth

Yeah I'm actually looking forward to seeing how the weight affects handling. Definitely good to have 4 wheel disk brakes as well, stopping something this heavy is a task.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:21 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Those 4wheel discs are awesome. Even in such a heavy vehicle, the brakes can bring it to a stop in a hurry. The single brake disc at the gear shaft is okay (the siggle disc as seen on the non-comp version), but the 4 wheel discs are absolutely superior.

I have the cable versions, and they do take a bit of tweaking before you get them right. Otherwise, once side will lock up before the other and you will enter into a spin in a very hard stop.
From what I understand, that kind of left-right brake bias is not seen on the hydraulic brake version.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 AM
thezooman

the hydraulic brakes are the way to go , savagejim if you have the spare $$$$ id go the hydraulic route .
i have them on my 4wd 2spd beetle and they are great .
Old 07-05-2009, 07:23 AM
splcrazy

im not bothered with wasting money on hydralic brakes , i modify the stock setup and put steel brake disk with car brake pad material superglued to where the crap fibre resin pads used to be , and it now stops dead smack when i want it to, or lightly depending how hard i hit the brake on the transmitter .

Also i would have thought that the front diff should have been the same as the rear , all in alloy
Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
sheograth

Here are some shots of the front brakes, they're not totally complete as I'm waiting for some parts but you get the idea. The rear will also have disk brakes.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:28 AM
thezooman

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

im not bothered with wasting money on hydralic brakes , i modify the stock setup and put steel brake disk with car brake pad material superglued to where the crap fibre resin pads used to be , and it now stops dead smack when i want it to, or lightly depending how hard i hit the brake on the transmitter .

Also i would have thought that the front diff should have been the same as the rear , all in alloy
the rear alloy thrust washer fits the front . as i have a alloy one on the front and rear .
Old 07-08-2009, 10:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Did you ever get you engine mount flange issue sorted out? This MT is going to be nice with that ESP powering it!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:53 AM
sheograth

I have the correct coupling flange on order. Here is a picture with the body, it came out nicely (by my standards at least :P)

Old 07-17-2009, 09:51 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Love the Monster Energy Body!!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:59 AM
elven wizard

Looks like a clean / put together right build. I'm sure you'll have many years of use out of your Fg. Quality indeed !

nice shots too

Elven Wizard
Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 AM
dc2 man
Banned

hello

just a tip from me.i have done a few fg beetle rebuilds and a major week point [flaw] is the axle wheels squares.im sure you have already loctited them well.so did i,but that wont still stop them from coming loose and what happens then is the axle spins on its own pulling in the wheel nut ruining the inner of the rim square centre on the wheel. thats why i choose to upgrade to the elcon wheel reinforcement adaptors. i need them for the crazy power i have to harness with my new engine.
some people also opt for the axle squares with the dowel pins protruding from them.

its annoying when 90euro worth of rims gets destroyed in a few outings.
im sure that esp motor will have more than enough hp to loosen those wheel squares also.

lots of people forget this.its a major weak point,i think it turns out to be the weakest point on the fg chassis when everything else is bulletproof.

as im at it i dont know why fg didnt make the axle squares with a square centre to match axle flat groove.this would stop slipping when/if grub screws decided to back out.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Futterama

dc2 man, could you please link to the Elcon part you mentioned? I can't find any Elcon part that looks different from the FG parts.

A picture of your upgrade would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:20 PM
dc2 man
Banned

hello futterama

ok i have just posted them up on [fg beetle from the elcon gods] thread.

no problem.

dc2
Old 07-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Futterama

dc2 man, thanks for the link and I found the pictures where you mount the adapters. But those won't keep the squares from coming loose and it won't stop the axle from spinning if the square comes loose. As I can understand, the adapters are primarily for rims with broken rim squares.

So how would this help?
Old 07-18-2009, 03:17 AM
dc2 man
Banned

lol
futerama

if you read my first post here you would understand...

the elcon adaptors make the inner of the rim square again,ok pretend your rim is already rounded inside from wear well the elcon adaptor fits inside the rim and makes it square again to sit on the axle square.

your right about it not preventing the wheel square from coming loose but it makes the wheel square again cause if you run an fg as much as i have had a wheel is going to round cause you just cant time when the axle square comes loose,and if it does you dont have to worry if you have the elcon adaptor

or point number 2 is that if you have a set of new rims on and are already using the elcon adaptors then your rims can never come loose.

believe me i have threadlocked mine with the best and its a heavy machine now and when i go out with it guaranteed a wheel square comes loose.........weak point like i said.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:15 AM
Futterama

dc2 man, I have read the posts and it doesn't make sense, I know what the elcon thing does, it will reinforce the rim square, but that does not help if the FG axle square is loose. The elcon thingy relies on the axle square on the axle.

Oh well, never mind, I thought it was something else you have found, something that would prevent the FG axle square from coming loose, but it's not.

Anyway, when it comes loose, it that because the screws go loose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.