Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Grease

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:07 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grease

I am looking for some grease for my transmission on my 5B for on the gears. I know about Fast Eddies grease but was wondering if any ones knows of something that is less then $17 for 2 ounces? Looking for something that will not sling off the gears. What are others using for this or similar applications.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Grease

Is this for external use?...I use a product called DRY ICE..I have for many years on different gears and hinge pins.....
You can find it at tower hobbies.......in the search box type in dry ice......Slawhammer
Old 08-09-2009, 12:33 PM
46u

No the gears on a HPI Baja transmission are enclosed. They are not like a spur and pinion with just a guard over them. I do not what anything with graphite as my dad now dead was a chemical engineer and told me horror stories about graphite and to stay away from it.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2009, 12:38 PM
pwaicon

I have been using Maxima Grease in my Titan diffs and I have also used it in some bearings I have repacked with good results. I haven’t torn my 5T diff apart yet, but will be doing so this week and this is the grease I intend to use. [link]http://www.maximausa.com/products/misc/grease.asp[/link]
Old 08-09-2009, 12:51 PM
46u

pwaicon when you tear down your diffs let me know how well the grease stayed on the gears. The grease I have been using seems to help with wear but when I take my diffs or gear boxes apart most of the grease is slung off and on the cases not near as much on the gears. The Fast Eddie grease looks real good and you are not suppose to have to use much and says it stick to the gears really well. But it is pricey! Might still give it a go.
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....t.A/id.5042/.f
Old 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I have not used the Fast Eddie grease yet; I have instead used the FG grease. So far, it has held up great on internal gears and I have no doubt that it will function just as well in any other RC diff.

http://www.fgsupply.com/search.cgi?k...+to+Search.y=0
Old 08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 46u

I am looking for some grease for my transmission on my 5B for on the gears. I know about Fast Eddies grease but was wondering if any ones knows of something that is less then $17 for 2 ounces? Looking for something that will not sling off the gears. What are others using for this or similar applications.
I used fast eddie grease when i had my HPI baja a while back, It felt really good and did not bind the tranny up like thicker geases do. Even with a fair amount of greese the tranny still rolled smooth as glass. I know its not cheap but its works great.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
46u

Eddie said all you need is to fill ever third or forth tooth on the big gear and that is all you need. I am building a HIGH dollar tranny and want the best. 3 HD gears and titanium shaft around $160. Have another thread on here about it. I ordered some of his grease today.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I have no doubt the Fast Eddie grease will do you right. I have yet to try any of it myself, but from all I read and what people have told me who have used it, it is a cut above stock grease.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:52 PM
46u

I received my Fast Eddie grease today and looks similar to GMK Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:27 PM
SAVAGEJIM

If you dont mine, can I ask you to try an experiment?

If you are willing to try, I want to know if the GMK Mobile functions as good as the Fast Eddie one. I always wanted to get the Fast Eddie, but I always forget to buy it when buying my supplies [&:]
Old 08-13-2009, 07:39 PM
46u

Jim I do not have any GMK Mobile grease right now and have not for some time but I will tell your once for once the Fast Eddie grease is a good bit cheaper.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:21 PM
splcrazy

whats wrong with using the hpi grease ? in my second 5b build i used some hi tech industrial grade gearing grease that i had in a tube lying around which was a little thicker and takes a while for it to smooth it self out , and was running too tight for the first couple of runs but now its working good , the idea is not to put too much on the gears lol like i did , it will run very tight . i couldnt use the hpi grease cos i ran out , so i just used what i had
Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 PM
46u

Most grease including the HPI slings off and most of it is all over the inside with very little on the gears. I am trying to find grease that stays on the gears better and the Team fast Eddie is suppose to do this. I will find out.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:55 AM
splcrazy

you could spray dryglide on the gears that will make it run like superman
Old 08-15-2009, 08:50 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Dryglide, I have not the foggiest idea what that is.

I did a very quick search and this is what I found:
http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.n...E?openDocument

Would this be up to the task of assisting lubing up the gears?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:33 AM
46u

I believe he is talking about graphite lube correct me if I am wrong. My dad was a chemical engineer for the the air force and I will not even use that stuff on my car doors from what he told me about all the problems with graphite. He help get it where it is no longer used on air craft and cause many deaths till he got where they where not allowed to use it.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:45 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Wow, he must have been one hell of a DoD contractor if he had that much say on what is used on ALL aircraft in the Air Force. Even generals do not have that much power!

Yeah, I agree, graphite (i.e. "Bucky" balls, nanotubes, and other fullerenes) do cause alot of premature wear between to interfacing moving part surfaces, especially on alum parts. And I can see that the AirForce would not want this since in very many cases, most aircraft are made of alumnium.

And since our RCs in virtually most cases are not military grade or aircraft grade, the wear will be much higher.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 AM
46u

My dad passed away over 8 years ago and if he was around could tell me the best stuff to use. My dad an 2 others worked for years to get graphite off air craft. They had a very hard time and do to the governments BS there where deaths over it. During Vietnam war many helicopters that where reported being shot down fell out of the sky. The control cables where only getting 60 to 70% of there life do to using graphite before they failed. Graphite causes stress corrosion.

I wish I had paid attention to him more years ago as he an expert in lubrication. He and others worked on dry film lubricants that where more durable then chrome plaiting.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:30 AM
SAVAGEJIM

What are some of the other dry lubes they worked on?
If they are publicly available, I wonder if they would be great as a substitute for grease?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:43 AM
46u

Like I said I wish I had paid more attention years ago. The stuff he worked on some was painted on and others a dip. You had to use a vaporizer degrease r before applying. I wish I could tell you more but I forgot most of what he told me because at the time I was stupid and did not pay attention. [:@]
Old 08-15-2009, 10:49 AM
46u

About 25 or 30 years ago he had a manufacture send me some pint cans and like a dummy I through the stuff away. My dad said if where not for helping an combustion cool they could get and engine to run with out oil and only use dry film lubricants.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:41 AM
BigGrump

I saw a video made by PhatDad called "Baja on a budget" which they have a series of on youtube. In his trans rebuild video he was using a red very stringie and tacky red grease out of a tube just like you get in the automotive store. I could not see the brand, but he read on the lable how it was for 4o to 400 degrees.

He rubbed it between his fingers and demonstrated it's tacky character which looked exactly like the red Fast Eddy grease (of which I have an expensive jar too). If that GMK Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease has a 400 degree rating, it is probably the same thing.

Take a look at the baja on a budget videos by PhatDad on U tube and maybe that will help.

Dennnis
Old 08-15-2009, 08:14 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Dryglide, I have not the foggiest idea what that is.

I did a very quick search and this is what I found:
http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.n...E?openDocument

Would this be up to the task of assisting lubing up the gears?
yep this is the stuff im talking about, its a wet spray that sprays on wet then it completely drys leaving an invisible lubrication film that does not wear off , and as the name says dryglide thats what it does the gears just glide like bearings.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:28 PM
46u

Sorry guys missed that link in Savagejim post. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Have you run this on your gears before in a tranny? I use this stuff on my dog bones. The one on top of the page.
http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...s/dryfilm.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.