Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Thinking of rebuilding the diff

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of rebuilding the diff

I have a [link=http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=2934&ls=e&nc=1251038292-18557&rubnum=&artnum=fg_8483_05&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuchealloy%20differential]FG 8483/05-diff[/link] in my Marder now,with the [link=http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=2934&ls=e&nc=1251045508-27817&rubnum=&artnum=fg_6512&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuche6512]FG diff-grease[/link] inside.

As i cant get the diff from stop leaking this messy stuff,pouring it all over and under the chassiplate and surrounding parts,i started think of converting the diff by buying some of the spareparts from the 8485/05,shown [link=http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/_PDF-ANLEITUNGEN/A.08485-05.pdf]here[/link] in this PDF.

The parts i am thinking about ,shown in the PDF,is FG# 8491(thrust ball bearing),8492 (pressure plate) and 8490(bevel wheel axle).I know,i know,i have to have the 8487 (alloy socket) too,but i can machine one myself so i can use it with the Elcon socket i use now.

So what do the dudes think? As long as the bevel wheel axle is Ø 5 mm i think this will work out fine.Have just dismantled my Marder now to put on some alloy engine mounts and sort out the diff,suddenly today i started to think of this convertion.I got instantly happy with just the thought of not having this mess on my carThe bonus is an adjustable diff

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Lars from Norway

Default RE: Thinking of rebuilding the diff

22 views and no replies?I guess i just have to order these parts and try it out myself,someone has to be the first to try

Hope you understand what my problem/challenge isAs i am an optimist i call it a challenge
Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 AM
dc2 man
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i just dont know how people break/leak these diffs i got all my onroads and my offroad and they never leaked......just make sure you put on seals,diff gear first,then slam on the cover,i have mine all full with thick greese...i use machine [proper jcb excavtor thick greese] and this works awesome.as its thick and good enough for a full time lubericant....i was told this from a few pro drivers a long while back and i have never used anything else.......its just a normal high temp greese lube really. same as any other but it wont leak through which is the bonus.i have even run all my machines prior to this on normal fg greese and never had leaks.i run my onroads almost every evening.

also make sure you put in all the washers in there as they do tend to develope play after a while if you dont.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Lars from Norway

Yeah,it is strange,i just can not understand why it always have to leak whatever i do with it!Well,4 minutes ago i ordered the parts,so now i just wait for them to come.Ordered some shims aswell...
Nice to hear that your diffs are not leaking,it seems like the silicone grease has a thick part and a thin part,when the grease runs out of the diff and stays on the chassiplate for a while before i clean it off, it just like evaporates and leaving the thick part behind,sticky but not moist (like from the bottle) if you understand me

Thanks for your reply
Old 08-24-2009, 01:10 PM
dc2 man
Banned

well i am intrested in anything r/c.
to be honest the only machine i use diff silicone oil in is prototype car i got from nutech the GT5-R and so far its great,no leaks but im pessimistic about it that it will eventually as that oil is very light.....but so far its great so i may be wrong.it is anoying though when they leak.....its tough to keep in silicone oil as its so light...but it works great.

would you not try greese as an alterternitive?
looks like a good diff,are you buying the complete one?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Lars from Norway

I thought about just putting some high temp grease in it as you mention you have done,seems like it is more "solid" than the silicone grease and dont kind of separate.But then i came to think of making it adjustable,and how to do it,then i found out that FG had done this already,haha.So no i am just going to put a little amount of grease in to just keep it lubricated.

I bought the thrust ball bearing,pressure plate,bevel wheel axle and the socket,as mentioned in the first post.I have the diff already,so i just add some parts to make it a complete adjustable oneI like the stainless steel Elcon diff housing so i am thinking of using this,but i have to machine the socket (FG # 8487) to make it fit.I have to use my lathe to something useful soonTime will show what i opt for!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:02 PM
dc2 man
Banned

man thats a mighty handy thing to have a lathe......you will be able to make very nice things with that.
i use the elcon diff cover on my fg diff and it works and looks great,stones or anything small dont even scuff it up.its well worth the money.

do you know something a little small amount of greese will do lovely because these diffs can be run dry and it wouldnt make a ounce of a differnce in relibility as they are all hardned steel...

the greese is only for diff adjustment to stiffen things up. imo.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Lars from Norway

Yep,the housing is surely tough compared to the stock aluminium one.The stock one seems like trying to eat and swallow stonesThat is what i dont like with the one i have ordered as it is aluminium,i guess it is as thin and fragile as the stock one.I thought about making the steel ring with the adjustment screws in my lathe,but i think i rather modify the alloy one.

Oh yes,i am looking very much forward to use it,i got it for my birthday in the end of june so i havent got the chuck and tools for it yet.

I didnt quite understand what you said about the lubrication of the diff,but i think you mean it can be runned dry?I guess that will be ok as the layshaft-to-diffgear is running dry too
Old 08-24-2009, 07:09 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I know this diff does not use grease, it uses diff oil.
http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com/inc/sdetail/9355

Hvae you though about this diff to eliminate the leakage issue? Also, the diff slip control by viscous locking function is also nice
Old 08-24-2009, 07:22 PM
bentley marshall

have a look here lars i fitted a nutech diff to my marder with 50000wt oil has done about 8 tanks on the track works great and no leaks all fg gears fitted spot on
as for the price they are under us$100

heres my post about it http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89...tm.htm#8934839
Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 PM
TheFgMan01

I have the same adjustable diff, i havent had a prob out of it yet.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Lars from Norway

SAVAGEJIM:I have to be a bit careful with my money now,that is why i have spent about 50$ (300NKR) on this convertion instead of many hundreds

bentley m:That looks like a nice and solid diff,and inexpensive aswell.The solution with the outer housing looks a bit less prone to leak than the FG diff i.m.o.

BUT,now i just wait for the parts to come,then i see if this works out fine.Thanks for the replies and input guys!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:03 PM
dc2 man
Banned

ORIGINAL: bentley marshall

have a look here lars i fitted a nutech diff to my marder with 50000wt oil has done about 8 tanks on the track works great and no leaks all fg gears fitted spot on
as for the price they are under us$100

heres my post about it http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89...tm.htm#8934839
i too have this diff in my nutech GT5-R and its excellent...no leaks so far and it uses silicone oil......its very good.

i would highly recomend it.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Lars from Norway

Ok,i have it in mind if i am going to buy a new one!Looks easy to install the bevelgears in it too,well,it is easy in the FG diff too,but it is very complicated done the wrong wayHaha!
But still,i like the idea of having it adjustable so i dont have to mess with oil and a lot of work to get different locking on the diff
Old 09-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Lars from Norway

Received the parts today,i think i am going to use both the steelhousing and the aluminium,trying to mate them in the lathe
Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 PM
rckiwi

Hi Lars, I was using the same diff in my FG Comp buggy and I was using 50,000wt silicone oil. I had no issues with it leaking from the cover but leaked from the output drives, so I removed the bronze bushes and fitted in needle roller seals. No more leaking

Also the Nutech diff housing Bentley suggested are awesome too!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Lars from Norway

Nice to hear that there is no issues with yours and the others diffs!I guess it was leaking out of the outdrive holes,but i couldnt find the solution on the problem.But i see now that you have itI'll maybe take some pics tomorrow if i am going to machine the parts in my lathe
Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Lars from Norway

Got some work done tonight with the rebuild,and i got to try out my lathe and make something useful in it for the first timeI machined the aluminium housing so the inner diameter ended up as the outer diameter,haha!Then i cut the Elcon s.s. housing in half,machined it down to the same length as the alu housing would have been on each side from the flange in which the adjustment screws are,and pressfitted the Elcon housing in it.

I let the pics speak for themself as i am out of words that can make me understood

Just had to attach some pics of my difftool,a piece of fuel tubing and a 4 mm wire across it,just as good as the FG one,and best of all,free!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39124.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1268649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38772.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1268650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94042.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1268651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56324.jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1268652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50899.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1268653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90892.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1268654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs29346.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1268655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt68534.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1268656  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ml87638.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1268657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp73669.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1268658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag37367.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1268659  
Old 09-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Lars from Norway

Here are some pics,maybe not so interesting,but still,it is the reason why the locking effect is being madeI put on the housing and tried to turn it by hand as i adjusted,it worked well with more locking effect than with the siliconegrease i used before.Only thing was that it was a bit sensitive,but i guess i will work it out

Name:	Sp45361.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1269099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89351.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1269100  
Old 09-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Lars from Norway

Well,here it is,lock(tite)ed and readyThis conversion has given me a lot of fun,and i got to know my lathe better tooI made a "+" and a "-" with my Dremel so i remeber where to adjust to get more or less locking effect.I also made a larger cut out to make room for the new and larger diffhousing.

Name:	Us53024.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1269545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12094.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1269546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52270.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.1 KB